OnePlus Nord 2 Pac-Man edition Hands-on...

1. Harshit R.
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus Buds Pro Nov 16, 2021

Harshit R. , Nov 16, 2021 :
    Thumbnail.png

OnePlus is very good at creating some of the BEST limited edition phones in the smartphone industry. They launched the OnePlus 5T Star Wars Edition, the OnePlus 6 Avengers Edition, and they also partnered up with McLaren for their 6T and 7T Pro McLaren Editions. And don't forget last year they partnered up with the most hyped video game, Cyberpunk, for the OnePlus 8T Cyberpunk Edition.

But I bet that you all already knew that. This time OnePlus partnered up with Bandai Namco, a Japanese video game company that created the legendary Pac-Man Game, for its Pac-Man Edition of the Nord 2.

In this thread, we are going to talk about the experience of the Pac-Man Edition of OnePlus Nord 2, from the unboxing to the special software and hardware magic that OnePlus has done with this phone. And I want to thank OnePlus for providing me with this opportunity and making this thread possible.

Unboxing:
    20211116_160519-ANIMATION.gif
    This special edition hardware also comes with a special edition packaging: the actual box of this phone is enclosed with a Pac-Man themed wrapper. The actual box is imprinted with the classic Pac-Man maze and also the OnePlus and Nord logo are printed with a special shiny finish. The unboxing experience of this phone is so smooth, it almost feels like the box is sliding under the flow of gravity.

At the top, there is some documentation which includes a special greeting card with the names of the members of Team Nord, but there is also a Red Cable Club membership card, a Quick Start guide, two OnePlus logo stickers, and one Pac-Man styled yellow Nord sticker. And, at last, there is the safety information.

Underneath that, there is the most awaited product: the Pac-Man Edition phone with the monstrous 65 Watts charging brick and the iconic red cable. There is one more section under the box which has the custom Pac-Man Edition case.

DESIGN:
    20211116_160336-ANIMATION.gif
    Honestly, the first time I held this phone, it felt so premium and comfortable in my hands; this is a perfect sized phone, not too big to hold and not too small, just perfect. It's covered with Gorilla Glass 5 in both sides. The OnePlus logo is on the bottom right corner of the phone and also there is a Pac-Man below the camera bar. You know why OnePlus launched this Pac-Man edition phone? The answer is simple: for MORE FUN! Even the tagline of this phone is "Pretty much all the fun you could ask for".

Let's move to the backside of the device, where they have done real magic. The back of the phone is glossy, but hardly catches any fingerprints and it doesn't have a specific color, it changes its color on different lighting conditions. Sometimes it looks grayish, sometimes blueish, sometimes greenish-blue. But this is not the real magic of this phone. The real magic is: this phone glows in the dark. Yes, you read that right, this phone glows in the dark and reveals the same classic Pac-Man maze with the OnePlus Nord logo.

Alert slider:
    20211116_151242-ANIMATION.gif
    There is an accented blue alert slider on the right side and this is one of my most favorite things on this phone. Those who don't know what the alert slider is, it is a slider button for switching your phone's profile from Ring to Silent or Vibrate mode. No need to unlock the phone, just slide the button. The fancy custom Pac-Man case that comes with this phone is a hard case and it looks very cool and doesn't ruin your Pac-Man special edition phone's design. Protected as well as stylish.

Specifications:
    Specification.png
    This special edition phone has the same specifications as the normal phone but with some extra Pac-Man magic inside and only comes in a single variant. This device is packed with:
    • MediaTek's Flagship processor Dimensity 1200AI
    • 12GB of RAM and 256GB of internal storage with no SD card slot
    • Main Sensor is the same 50MP Ultrawide on the OnePlus 9 Series
    • With 8MP Ultrawide
    • A 2MP monochrome lens
    Software:
    20211117_143247-ANIMATION.gif

Now let's turn on this phone and see what software magic OnePlus has done with this Pac-Man Edition. There is the special boot animation, but not only that, when you first set your phone you get a message from the device that reads "The hungry Pac-Man got trapped in level 256 help him eat his way out through OnePlus Nord Universe by completing secret missions and finding Easter Eggs that OnePlus sprinkled throughout the phone".

Yeah! OnePlus packed some unlockable content in the phone that you can unlock by playing the preinstalled Pac-Man 256 Game and by completing some secret missions. There is the special Pac-Man phone holder for this phone with all the hints for the secret missions but I didn't get that. So, I don't know how to access that unlockable content. I did, however, unlocked one dynamic wallpaper and the Pac-Man styled secret stickers by using Warp Charge for 256 minutes.

20211116_161628-ANIMATION.gif
    Apart from that, there are the whole Gamified OxygenOS throughout the phone, which includes:
    • Pac-Man styled Always on Display
    • Pac-Man styled in-display fingerprint animation
    • Pac-Man styled dynamic wallpaper which shows retro pixelated Pac-Man on the lock screen. And, when you unlock the phone, you can see the retro Pac-Man has evolved into the smooth and rounded modern Pac-Man.
    There are Pac-Man styled pixelated system Icons:
    pacicons.png

Pac-Man styled notification panel which looks awesome and also the Pac-Man animation when I switched from one page to another page.
    noti.png

There is the Pac-Man styled charging animation in the phone and this special phone also comes with a special charger, the same 65W charger that comes in the OnePlus 9 Series and charges the phone from 1%-100% in half an hour. However, this is not the special aspect about this charger. This charger is special because it can charge all devices that I use, from the OnePlus Buds Pro to my laptop.

This charger has an output ranges from 15W to 65W. There's no need to carry different chargers for different devices. This phone also has Pac-Man themed notification, ringing, and alarm tones. If you want to hear all these tones then you can check out my video about this phone. The whole OxygenOS has the theme of Pac-Man UI elements.
    20211116_162216-ANIMATION.gif

Camera:
    20211116_162629-ANIMATION.gif
    Let's talk about the Cameras of this phone This device has a triple camera setup at the backside and a 32MP selfie camera. This phone comes with the camera app from Oppo and I have mixed feelings about it. There is a lot of camera features - like in Oppo phones - and it also takes pretty good shots but I didn't like the Camera UI of this phone because it’s the same UI that comes in the Realme or Oppo Phones. I don't have any problem with Realme or Oppo, but OnePlus is not Realme. OnePlus is a premium brand so the camera UI needs to be different.

There is also Pac-Man themed filter in the camera app which took some glitch and pixelated photos with the Pac-Man characters in the frame. These are some shots with this filter.
    20211116_163524-ANIMATION.gif

For more camera information about this phone, you can check out my video on YouTube.

Never Settle...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021

2. Harshit R.
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus Buds Pro Nov 24, 2021

Stickied Post
    Harshit R. , Nov 24, 2021 :
    Pac-Man Easter Egg in Calculator App:

The highest Score possible in Pac-Man Game is 3,333,360 points.
    Put this number in your Pac-Man special edition Nord 2 device and See the magic happens.

Never
    Settle

WakeAwake and R1634986917864 like this.
  3. Liehjan
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus Buds Pro Community Expert Nov 16, 2021

4. Harshit R.

Harshit R. , via OnePlus Nord 2 , Nov 16, 2021 :
    Yeah! I completely agree with you and also the transition from lock screen to home screen. 😍

Caomhin and Liehjan like this.
  5. Caomhin
    9 Series Expert, Participator of the Year Community Expert Nov 16, 2021

Caomhin , Nov 16, 2021 :
    Nice hands on breakdown. Thanks for the info. Charging and Fingerprint are nice animations to have. Hope you enjoy the Pacman experience. 😀

6. Harshit R.

Harshit R. , Nov 16, 2021 :
    Enjoyed! I loved it.

Caomhin likes this.
  7. SJBoss
    Lollipop Nov 16, 2021

SJBoss , Nov 16, 2021 :
    TWSS.
    Such magic, much wow. :rolleyes:

The sugar coating is strong with this one :rolleyes:
    So how did you get the phone? Did you bought it?
    @Daniel D.

[EDIT] Now, I know but should've left em on YouTube, since it's just plain Marketing.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021

SRD. and Harshit R. like this.
  8. MZAKH
    Cupcake Nov 17, 2021

Harshit R. likes this.
  9. Tobikage
    General Support Expert Award 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Tobikage , Nov 17, 2021 :
    Why aren't you having MORE FUN ? OnePlus specifically requested it !

Harshit R., SJBoss and Caomhin like this.
  10. Caomhin
    9 Series Expert, Participator of the Year Community Expert Nov 17, 2021

WakeAwake, SRD., superplus and 4 others like this.
  11. Sravankumarjangam
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus Nord 2 Nov 17, 2021

Harshit R. likes this.
  12. Harshit R.
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus Buds Pro Nov 18, 2021

Sravankumarjangam likes this.
  13. Sravankumarjangam
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus Nord 2 Nov 18, 2021

Harshit R. likes this.