Oneplus Nord camera is better than Oneplus 8t via OnePlus 8T

1. Saurabbhatt1506
    Cupcake Apr 21, 2021

Saurabbhatt1506 , via OnePlus 8T , Apr 21, 2021 :
    I upgraded my phone from oneplus nord to oneplus 8t and the camera experience is worst in oneplus 8t, price difference is almost 20k buck in both phone but camera quality is very cheap in 8t, words colors and worst pixel quality and its been almost 6 months of 8t and oneplus is not taking seriously to fix the camera issue, getting very disappointed by 8t, I thought to buy 9 pro but getting this type of camera quality in 46k bucks not allow me to upgrade in oneplus

Deva200 likes this.
  2. banandhi
    Gingerbread Apr 21, 2021

3. Sheppards
    Jelly Bean Apr 21, 2021

4. Tokolozi
    Most Original Avatar Apr 21, 2021

Tokolozi , Apr 21, 2021 :
    The Suez being blocked caused a lot of prices to skyrocket?
    it also apparently caused people to not research a device before buying it.

McJader, Sheppards and Arjun_Choudhry like this.
  5. banandhi
    Gingerbread Apr 21, 2021

banandhi , via OnePlus 8T , Apr 21, 2021 :
    Is saying in terms of INR and not in USD, I think ?. So many post's by different users in 8T forum, most importantly 8T and not 7T users, have complained about the sub standard quality of the camera in 8T, might be your 7T snapping better pictures for you. There have been some stable updates which have pushed to 8T until now none of them actually have any fix related to camera. Even the beta versions change log have no mention about camera related improvements.

6. Arjun_Choudhry
    KitKat Apr 21, 2021

Arjun_Choudhry , Apr 21, 2021 :
    The main camera quality is comparable between the two (Nord and 8T) (with faster processing on the 8T) as the have the exact same main camera. Maybe check before creating a baseless thread. Next you might claim that the 8 has a better camera than the 8T, but unless you show exact examples of where the camera quality is better, this thread is of absolutely no use

McJader and Tokolozi like this.
  7. banandhi
    Gingerbread Apr 21, 2021

banandhi , via OnePlus 8T , Apr 21, 2021 :
    Search for the below post by one of the fellow users of 8T device and understand that a bug hunter has already responded to the user seeing the bad quality of the pictures and got in touch with user in person. Hopefully OP works on the issu and provides a fix in the next build atleast

Post Title :
    One plus 8t camera quality is not satisfying please improve it using software updates

8. _Sanjyot_
    Froyo May 8, 2021 at 10:21 AM

_Sanjyot_ , via OnePlus 8T Aquamarine Green , May 8, 2021 at 10:21 AM :
    I will show you brother what frustration feels like

This is 2x artificial lighting conditions
    1620465302937.jpg
    This is 2x portrait same lighting conditions
    1620465303032.jpg
    Don't correct users for bad English
    correct OnePlus for being clowns

Acknowledgement and helping address issues is
    always appreciated

9. Arjun_Choudhry
    KitKat May 8, 2021 at 10:34 AM

Arjun_Choudhry , May 8, 2021 at 10:34 AM :
    No where did I point out his poor English (I did point out his inability to follow the basic forum rules).
    If you have an issue with the Nord having the same camera as the 8T, maybe buy a phone with better camera hardware. The specs were available for everyone to see and compare.
    As for the images you posted, it is very well known that Portrait images on OnePlus devices do not match the colors of the non-portrait ones. People have raised bug reports on the same, but to no avail. Creating another thread won't help make any difference, unless it is done in the feedback section of the forums.
    Lastly, read a post completely before misquoting (or lying, if you actually understood the post)

Tokolozi, rusi.rusev and McJader like this.
  10. _Sanjyot_
    Froyo May 8, 2021 at 12:55 PM

_Sanjyot_ , May 8, 2021 at 12:55 PM :
    That English thing was Generalised
    Now getting straight to the point said:

OnePlus 8T camera indeed has some minor changes to nord camera
    Different ISP, Aperture
    Nord camera is justified for its price
    8T camera is not
    There are problems from Day one in Camera it's been 6 months no proper camera issues are fixed despite as you mentioned many people reported but nothing to avail
    Even new beta builds show no signs
    And about normal to portrait why this much inconsistency I know ever camera can't output exact same image but this much inconsistency is unacceptable at this premium price tag
    Infact it uses same camera for 2x and 2x portrait
    And forget about OnePlus 8
    OnePlus 7pro takes better picture than 8T Despite having same camera sensor
    The camera hardware is capable enough and
    There are some problems that can be easily fixed by software tweak but OnePlus is busy in promoting new products
    I'll be reporting series of camera software related issues in coming days
    I was very excited to have a OnePlus phone looking at 7T/7pro improvements over its predecessors
    But OnePlus 8T is a downgrade in camera
    It's my first and last OnePlus phone

Last edited: May 8, 2021 at 1:04 PM

Chiragy2211 likes this.
  11. Arjun_Choudhry
    KitKat May 8, 2021 at 1:16 PM

Arjun_Choudhry , May 8, 2021 at 1:16 PM :
    Let's start with your English comment. How on earth is a "generalized" comment justified, when I clearly questioned his ability to follow forum rules, not his ability to comprehend them?

Secondly, OnePlus has this rather poor habit of approximating the value of the aperture sizes differently for the more expensive and less expensive devices (f/1.75 became f/1.7 on the 8T and f/1.8 on the Nord). Why they do that? God knows (marketing, distinguishing between models, whatever). The same was the case with the 7 and 7 Pro (both had f/1.65, which was approximated differently).

Are there camera inconsistencies in OnePlus cameras? Absolutely. Will creating new threads get them fixed? No. Will badgering other users who explain this fact to you get the issues fixed? No. Will submitting feedback in the feedback section of the forums get the issues fixed? Unlikely, but there is a slight chance.

Does the 7T take better images than the 8T? No according to me, except for zoom shots (it has a dedicated telephoto lens). I have used both, and I prefer the less over-sharpened, less saturated and slightly better balanced images of the 8T (although, most people prefer otherwise due to the brighter, more saturated and less natural looking images shot by the 7T).

It was clearly mentioned by OnePlus at launch that they have used the exact same camera sensor as the 8 and 7/7T series in the 8T. I can't really understand why you thought the results will be drastically different (unless their marketing really made you think otherwise, in that case props to them). The camera from the 8 was average, and reviews weren't great for the 8T either (although reviewers did point out the slightly natural colors and less over-sharpening).

You think you can persuade OnePlus to improve the cameras? Great. But do so in the feedback section, instead of cribbing to other users in threads that hold little value.

Tokolozi likes this.
  12. _Sanjyot_
    Froyo May 8, 2021 at 5:50 PM

_Sanjyot_ , May 8, 2021 at 5:50 PM :
    First Let me be clear The English comment wasn't for you don't take it
    I agree with you on some Points
    One should always follow forum's rule

As per rules everyone's voice should be equal

but every now and then you'll find someone bump up thread like these why? because issues are overlooked not fixed!

Does creating new thread will fix it? No but it'll educate new people what is the current situation. Does debating on facts will fix it? No but it'll show and portray different angles of a topic.

Does 7T takes better picture than 8T? I was talking about 7pro.
    One of my roommates have 7pro I have used both 7pro takes better images preserving "better colours details (not oversaturation) and better exposed shadow details" consistently compared to 8T using same primary sensor
    Sometimes 8T image does oversharpening than 7pro
    7pro image is more balanced in night shots

Pixel series phones are using same sensors for generations too but software processing has made every iteration's camera better I don't expect OnePlus to do that level work but at least there must be some noticable camera software improvement evey year as marketed but I see otherwise in 8/8T
    A Users shouldn't give kudos to that it's weird

The camera from OnePlus 7pro and 7T where great when they came out but that wasn't the case in 8T as of 2020 standards it's same as 2019's no noticeable image processing improvements but bare minimum
    that's why it's a downgrade

So on that note it should not require an end-user to persuade to make fix issues that looks irresponsible as everyone expected better (a little better at least)

I don't think I need to reply any further

banandhi likes this.
  13. Arjun_Choudhry
    KitKat May 8, 2021 at 6:44 PM

Arjun_Choudhry , May 8, 2021 at 6:44 PM :
    1. If the English comment wasn't meant for me, why did you reply that to my post? What are you trying to pull here?

2. The forums is less about educating users about what you might feel is wrong with the device, and more about how they can try to solve issues they are facing.

3. What you call brighter colors, I call oversaturation. What you call better shadow detail, I find the same to cause blown out highlights (I have called out the crushed shadows quite a few times in the correct places). If I prefer the image processing of the 8T over the 7T (same main and ultra-wide camera as the 7 Pro), and I would prefer if they stuck with it, then it will be a deterioration in my opinion, if OnePlus made the camera processing similar to the 7 and 7T series. To me, the difference is noticable in every condition, with the shadows in HDR conditions being the only drawback as compared to the 7 and 7T series.

4. No matter how much OnePlus tries, they will not be able to extract much more out of the IMX586. It is an average sensor now (wasn't great back then either). Pixel size and superior focus technologies play as important a role in clicking good images. The IMX363 in the Pixels has always been a top-notch sensor (and a slightly upgraded variant of it is being used in the iPhone 12 Pro as well).

5. The camera isn't the only aspect of the phone that sees an improvement YoY. If the price of the device increases slightly, and the display, haptics, battery, charging, performance and build quality are improved, then the device is still a better device. You don't see OnePlus 8 users cribbing about the lack of a telephoto lens, just because it was available in the 7T. They knew what they were buying, and scaled their expectations accordingly. Nearly every review for the 8T mentioned the camera processing changes made as compared to the prev-gen devices, and found a positive (marginal) improvement. If you don't agree with the camera processing changes, try a GCam port. But it's still on you for thinking that the camera performance on the 8T will be an improvement over the 7 and 7T series, in the direction you like (while in reality, the images look a bit more like how other users prefer).

6. You can speak on your behalf, but unless you have gathered the views of a significant number of 8T users and the consensus is that they aren't happy with the changes made vis-a-vis the 7 and 7T series, refrain from speaking on behalf of "everyone".

7. These aren't "issues", but image processing choices. Disagree with the direction OnePlus has gone in? Use a GCam and tune it to exactly how you like. It's unlikely any other app will be able to offer camera processing exactly how you want. Don't want to put in the effort? Use the feedback section of the forums, as stated quite a few times already. Don't want to do that either? I couldn't care less.

Tokolozi likes this.
  14. Tokolozi
    Most Original Avatar May 8, 2021 at 6:58 PM

Tokolozi , May 8, 2021 at 6:58 PM :
    Or you know.... Check it beforehand, don't expect any updates to improve it, and just buy the device with the actual image quality you're expecting from it.

Who in their right mind buys a device where they don't agree with choices made in it's development process.... You don't need to get things on their release, it's perfectly acceptable to wait a month or 2 to get it or not....

Additionally the whole pixel camera thing was true until maybe the 4..... Their sensor And processing really started to show it's age and limitations by now. (Coming from a former pixel owner)

Arjun_Choudhry likes this.
  15. _Sanjyot_
    Froyo May 8, 2021 at 11:31 PM

_Sanjyot_ , May 8, 2021 at 11:31 PM :
    Yeah I thought OnePlus had a vision for end-users but
    it's another profit orientated company

As mentioned earlier it's my first and last OnePlus Phone I won't recommend it to anyone either

You moderator people will never satisfy a genuine end-user by being in companies favour

Every user is a fool and must be corrected every time to show everything is fine when it isn't

Making end-user look wrong by not accepting issues and misinterpreting/flagging general problems as user specific. It's always users fault.
    An Unethical Practice!

Older devices people are crying for updates/issues and new os themes are arriving shortly

Company can focus on current issues rather than promoting new things

I am sure I'll be corrected again for maintenance I won't reply any further to anyone on this