OnePlus Nord : Let's talk about it.

1. SJBoss
    Lollipop Jul 29, 2020

SJBoss , Jul 29, 2020 :
    [​IMG]
    Yea, I stole that header from 9to5google

So, as I said at the end of my last thread that I'll share my views on if it's really "New beginnings" or just an "old formula of what works" with you guys once Nord is out, as it turns out it's neither.

OnePlus in an old fashioned manner made a very big deal about a Device that's almost identical to something already on the market but atleast it's a bit different kind of approach then OnePlus X, other than that I don't think if there's anything that can be regarded as new beginnings and certainly not the same as the launch of OnePlus One which they kept referring to in the "documentary" and let's just not talk about "back to the roots", It's all good for hype and marketing and that's all it is.

By now everyone is familiar with the spec list and there's nothing extraordinary nor disappointing about it (except, there is). Talking about the good stuff first, 765G is a quite capable chipset, throw in a respectable amount of RAM and you've got yourself a Device that'll serve you right, You can't go wrong with an Amoled panel, and a higher refresh rate is more than welcome, it looks like your average 2020 smartphone (which isn't a bad thing by any means).

I don't like the idea of Dual front facing cameras, It messes with aesthetics but as I said before, as long as the compromise results in some kind of functionality, I'm okay with it, you've got OOS, the most talked about thing on a OnePlus device, 5G and if that's pretty much everything you could ask for... Then the Nord's for you.

Now the things that I don't like and could've been improved, A lot of "tech" reviewers labelled it as a very balanced device and used "for that price" in their "first impressions" more times than you could count. but is it really a very balanced and best possible device you can get at that price? Probably not and here's why.

OnePlus went with a quad camera setup on the back. their promos and website states that the main sensor is a "flagship Camera" as it's the same sensor as on the OnePlus 8. But, OnePlus 8 itself is a device built on compromises and Camera was one of 'em. it never had the flagship level camera, that's the one on the 8 Pro. All reviewers keep reminding you about the price while talking about the camera and not in a Pixel 3a way so that gives you an idea how good the "flagship camera" is, other than that there's a mediocre 8MP wide angle sensor, a bad 2MP Macro sensor that after some time you'll probably never use and a 5MP depth sensor for the sake of being there. It's a versatile camera setup for sure, but a mediocre one at best and certainly not flagship level. This is what happens when you focus more on the marketing than the product itself.

The second thing I want to talk about is build, OnePlus made a post on Instagram how they didn't go with an LCD panel despite it being cheaper because simply they didn't wanted to compromise and then used plastic for the frame and made no mention of it anywhere. It's not like It's the only 2020 Device with a plastic frame but as a consumer I would like to know what I'm paying for, that's where I'd like transparency, made with premium materials? Sure.

Now the last and the most important part, the Price. slower UFS 2.1 storage, Plastic build, cheap camera sensors, mono speaker, weak vibration and it still costs 27,999 or € 399. (Yes I'm not considering the 6+64 India specific varient for two reasons, 64 gigs of storage makes no sense in 2020 and two, it's not available yet) all the cost cutting and compromises hardly had any impact on the price. Why is that so?

5G could be the reason of higher than expected price, we already know how it affected the prices of the big boys, that might or might not be true for the 765G but I can't think of anything else at the hardware front. the second reason is... the OnePlus 8 exists and clearly OnePlus don't want the Nord to look like a better deal than the 8, that also could be one of the reasons why Nord isn't available in NA but that's just my guess.

So should you buy it? If 5G is important to you... Sure. It's not a bad device but there's nothing great about it either, there is plenty of options on the market and you can get an overall better device for the same or even less price (Redmi K20/9T Pro, Realme X2 Pro and X3 to name a few) or spend just a little more and get a far better OnePlus device e. g. OnePlus 7T.

buntycubal, palc, the_o2 and 18 others like this.
  2. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016 Jul 29, 2020

Dresa91 , Jul 29, 2020 :
    Thank you!

3. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer Jul 29, 2020

YRJ , Jul 29, 2020 :
    100% at point. Like always.
    That's last sentence just sums up everything.

palc, luigimario, TibiTibi and 8 others like this.
  4. sfomin
    Nougat Jul 29, 2020

malidan, palc, G_plusone and 5 others like this.
  5. Starcommander
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Jul 29, 2020

6. Girish.Pranav
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 29, 2020

7. Batman360

Batman360 , Jul 29, 2020 :
    Well said!! Hope I will be able to shine more light on the faults once I recieve the Nord myself.

Caomhin, TibiTibi, G_plusone and 4 others like this.
  8. SJBoss
    Lollipop Jul 29, 2020

SJBoss , Jul 29, 2020 :
    Now that's a boring post, say some negative stuff for ffs :rolleyes:
    You mean... I wrote all this for nothing?
    :rolleyes:
    I'll be waiting for your views, but if that's why you're buying it, don't :rolleyes:

Caomhin, YRJ, Bouncer71 and 6 others like this.
  9. Batman360

Not buying it just to review, gifting it to my sister, but I will be testing it first for few weeks for the review.

10. SJBoss
    Lollipop Jul 29, 2020

SJBoss , Jul 29, 2020 :
    I hope camera wasn't one of the reason to consider the Nord.

11. Batman360

Nope, not at all. I am not even satisfied with my OP 7 Pro's camera😂 I always have to edit the photos on the Lightroom these days

Caomhin, G_plusone, Bouncer71 and 4 others like this.
  12. fragargon
    Jelly Bean Jul 29, 2020

fragargon , Jul 29, 2020 :
    That's what i wanna say about this device, nothing extraordinary except the hidden plastic frame that anywhere it's mention. But hey it's a compromised device, so was the OPO! I dunno if this is the reason they stated that new beginning... :rolleyes:

BTW You can see popin up here and there amoled tint issue, hope fellow device would give best user experience.
    I don't meant to be negative, it's my modest thought. m2c

thks u

G_plusone, Bouncer71, SJBoss and 2 others like this.
  13. fragargon
    Jelly Bean Jul 29, 2020

Bouncer71, SJBoss, agoinfly and 2 others like this.
  14. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016 Jul 29, 2020

Dresa91 , Jul 29, 2020 :
    :p

Caomhin, G_plusone, SJBoss and 3 others like this.
  15. Helder_DAlmeida , via OnePlus 7T Glacier Blue , Jul 29, 2020 :
    Thanks @SJBoss. I think the price could not be lower due to the fact that it is 5G because at the moment this technology is not yet very affordable in terms of prices and Qualcomm is capitalizing on the investment it has made in all research and product development. Clearly, Oneplus would not make the Nord with better features than the OnePlus 8 ... It didn't make any sense....

Bouncer71, SJBoss, agoinfly and 2 others like this.
  17. ASCHENTE_V
    Jelly Bean Jul 29, 2020

ASCHENTE_V , Jul 29, 2020 :
    Just hold your horses :p. OnePlus + Amoled = Burn In, Green tint issues, strange colors etc, which ain't welcomed.

malidan, TibiTibi, G_plusone and 4 others like this.
  18. agoinfly
    Marshmallow Jul 29, 2020

agoinfly , Jul 29, 2020 :
    Dear SJ
    I endorse almost
    everything.

19. fragargon
    Jelly Bean Jul 29, 2020

fragargon , Jul 29, 2020 :
    purple tint issue this time :confused:
    4 month after 8OP serie :rolleyes:

20. ASCHENTE_V
    Jelly Bean Jul 29, 2020

ASCHENTE_V , Jul 29, 2020 :
    To be precise BOTH 🤭. One of the roots behind all this shit is OnePlus being unable to properly calibrate its displays...