OnePlus Nord - My Initial Impression via OnePlus 5 Midnight Black

1. Oreo.
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Aug 13, 2020

Oreo. , via OnePlus 5 Midnight Black , Aug 13, 2020 :
    I got hands-on experience of OnePlus Nord a week ago when my friend bought it. We went to the OnePlus Experience Store, Ahmedabad to collect the unit.
    1597321869574.jpg

Unboxing:

1597321905185.jpg

First thing that I observed was the packaging and the box. OnePlus Nord comes in a Black Box with Nord written on it. The box itself adds uniqueness to the unboxing experience, among all other OnePlus box designs Nord looks fabulous. Box opens at the perfect pace, that is neither too fast to bang the device on table nor too slow to make it feel boring. You just hold the box and lift it up, it slides down at the classic OnePlus pace and voila! You have unboxed your OnePlus Nord.
    1597321933421.jpg

Nord is wrapped in a matte plastic with “This way Nord” written on it.

In-hand feel:

1597321956929.jpg

1597321979888.jpg

As soon as I took the Nord out of plastic, my fingers hit the camera bump. I am a OP5 user, so I wasn’t prepared for it but I felt the bump initially. Nord has a glossy glass back and god it is a fingerprint magnet. Within 5 minutes of use, I could see smudges all over the back. I booted up the phone, did the regular setup and yes Nord has got the same feel like any other OnePlus device. 90Hz display can be noticed right away, as @Carl said

“I am sure when they use it for the first time, they won’t really be able to tell that it is not an 800 series chipset”.

I was looking forward to notice that one lag that could make me criticize Nord but I didn’t. I was obsessed with the smoothness Nord is offering (I was worried it will become hard to go back to OP5 XD). Overall smoothness was great but, I was bit disappointed with the glossy back and weird camera bump (but both can be covered up with the clear case provided in the box).

Camera:

1597322059235.jpg

I heard many reviewers saying Nord has a mediocre camera and I was hoping that isn’t true. Umm, it was partially true though. Primary camera of Nord is similar to OP8 and it clicks some amazing shots, I did not have any complaints with the primary lens. Pictures were crisp, vibrant and had good details. I did notice warm hue in the images.

Disappointment began with the ultra-wide and macro lens. Ultra-wide did its job by capturing more of the surroundings but it lacked details and macro lens was totally unnecessary, as images were just ehh. Not much about camera, let’s move further.

Battery:

1597322074898.jpg

Nord packs in with 4115mAh battery. You just cannot be disappointed in terms of battery backup and charging speed if you are using an OnePlus device. Nord easily lasts for entire day. My friend charged it at 100% at morning 9AM and the device ended up with 1% at 10PM (with quarantine usage i.e. heavily). Nord takes about 1 hour to fully charge from 1-100%.

Final words:

As Nord is a budget concerned device, few corners were cut to bring out the best of the device. I would not be buying Nord for myself as I am concerned with the performance (and I am quite addicted to 800 series SoC). But does that make Nord worthless? No. The experience Nord is delivering is still on par, 90 Hz smoothness, 2 years of software updates, glass back, amazing battery life, warp charge and clean UI of Oxygen OS is worth buying. I would highly recommend anyone who might be using a smartphone from budget segment to upgrade to Nord. In fact I am planning to gift one to my mom because I am confident with experience of the device.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020

2. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Aug 13, 2020

dsmonteiro , Aug 13, 2020 :
    Hey there, thanks for sharing!

Be sure not to miss this contest as well:
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/my-first-nord-picture-unbox-experience.1276550/

Batman360, Fc København and Oreo. like this.
  3. Oreo.
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Aug 13, 2020

dsmonteiro and Cupid22 like this.
  4. Jishnurajpillai
    Cupcake Aug 22, 2020

Oreo. likes this.
  5. A1596796881830
    Cupcake Aug 27, 2020

A1596796881830 , via OnePlus Nord , Aug 27, 2020 :
    battery is draining very fast I charged it's near 91% on evening near 7 and at 12 the charged become 10% ..almost 6hrs its drained rapidly and heating issue during video calling and even calling bugs is der pls help me out to solvethis

Eva Ipsita likes this.

7. C1598098790950
    Cupcake Aug 30, 2020

C1598098790950 , via OnePlus Nord , Aug 30, 2020 :
    Thanks for sharing the experience. In my initial first week of usage so far, below observations I have:
    1. Battery charging is very quick, but also it drains at significant pace. On a more than average usage it can't sustain for a complete day.
    2 Also, screen is a bit pale yellow/green tinted, not properly white. And manytimes I see screen turns light green tinted on click (anywhere on screen) and then returns to normal after 2-3 secs of inactivity. This is a bug and needs to be fixed at the earliest.
    3. 'Rotation Lock' feature of Android is not available, don't know why. That is a super handy feature to most of the users who don't prefer auto-rotate feature. That also needs to be enabled asap.
    4. Apart from these, on a whole it performs very good with navigation, app launching, switching, smooth UX etc. Just above issues once gets fixed, then it's a perfect deal in this price segment.

8. T1598180337244
    Cupcake Aug 30, 2020

T1598180337244 , via OnePlus Nord , Aug 30, 2020 :
    I was happy to receive one plus nord but after using it for a week, I am really disappointed as the battery is draining too fast, also was expecting better front camera. My two years old realme handset is far better in terms of battery performance. 100% charge in nord drains within 9-10 hours with very less usage and no gaming.

9. A1598854585447
    Cupcake Aug 31, 2020

Oreo. likes this.
  11. Oreo.
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Sep 1, 2020

Helder_DAlmeida likes this.
  12. BiswajitB
    Gingerbread Oct 11, 2020

BiswajitB , via OnePlus Community App , Oct 11, 2020 :
    I'm an old OnePlus user. I have in my possession OP3, OP5, OP7 & now OP NORD. To be honest, I am disappointed with the overall performance compared to the other devices I have.

To start with, during the initial setup, my phone get switched off automatically and this saga went on. There was not a single day the phone ran for 24 hours at a stretch. I know, I am not the only one facing this problem, there are many others facing the problem of auto restart or auto switch off problem. I had to send it to the OnePlus Service Center twice and it's still with them since 18 September. I wonder how they can launch a problematic device.

14. F1599205882544
    Honeycomb Oct 13, 2020

F1599205882544 , via OnePlus Nord , Oct 13, 2020 :
    Hi
    2 months of hard use with all firmwares until OxygenOS 10.5.8. Many issues have been corrected since the beginning until now and the device is stable and powerful. Tested on AnTuTu/AnTuTu3D at more than 330000, very good.
    Very nice display a bit warm at low brightness.
    Ultra high speed network in 4G+ and hyper high speed WiFi on fiber network. Whatsapp, Instagram, Twitter are scrolling at the speed of light. Youtube without any lag at the highest resolutions. Great Bluetooth especially with the Bullets Wireless Z just amazing for audiophile sound. No real bloatwares inside and fully compatible with RCS protocols and technology with Google softwares as Duo, Phone, Messages, totally armed for the future including 5G.
    No reason to complain. Great device.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020