OnePlus Nord N10 5G: My Thoughts and Review via OnePlus Nord N10 5G

1. Antonio_Luis
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 9, 2021

Antonio_Luis , via OnePlus Nord N10 5G , Feb 9, 2021 :
    1612894723544.jpg

I love this phone! Let me emphasize this to you guys. I LOVE this phone 🥰🤳 !!! lol. I own the OnePlus 8T and I haven't put my sim card back in it since I've been using the N10 5G. I wanted to write a review as soon as i got the phone but I felt that this phone deserves more than that. This isn't just any other phone. This phone is special and ill tell you guys why.

1612894734861.jpg

The Customer

So many times customers walked into the T-Mobile store ready to buy a phone only to find out they don't qualify for the phone they want or for some reason they only want to spend a specific amount and the only available options were cheap Samsung junk, Motorola junk, LG junk, Alcatel junk, or some 4 year old T-Mobile junk. There has never been a viable option for T-Mobile customers in the entry level market and I've always wished OnePlus would jump in and grab their piece of the pie. The OnePlus Nord N10 5G is that phone. There are no phones at this price that offer what the N10 has to offer. Now, what's does the N10 have to offer? I'm glad you asked 😉😊

1612895531694.jpg

The Price & The Features

The phone is $299! And for that price, you get:
    - a 5G ready phone
    - a 90hz display
    - 30T Warp charging
    - 128gb of storage
    - 6gb of RAM
    - Dual speakers
    - Bluetooth 5.1
    - a headphone jack
    - a Quad Camera set up system
    - a micro SD card slot
    And most importantly, you get Oxygen OS. For $299!

I'm only briefly touching on the specs as to not beat a dead fish. Specs are specs and as important as they are, they are not the be all end all when it comes to using and loving a phone. That my friends all boils down to the user experience. I'll leave the over emphasized spec talk to all the YouTubers that bash cheap phones cause they get to play with every phone ever made and don't know what it's like for the rest of us to get what we can 😇 .

1612913910488.jpg

The Look

First thing I noticed out of the box was how amazing the phone looked 🤩. I was in complete shock when I unboxed the phone. I could not believe that this phone was made of plastic. It looks and feels like glass. I love the way the light bends off the back panel. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it. It really lives up to it's name because it literally looks like Midnight Ice.

1612945377698.jpg

The Feel

The phone is a pleasure to hold in the hand. The glossy back, although "fingerprinty", sticks to my fingers so I'm never afraid it's going to slip out of my hands. The design of the phone is nice as well with the fingerprint sensor on the back. It's quite comfortable to use and unlock the device because my fingers naturally rest in that area.

1613172562066.jpg

The Build

The frame of the phone is also plastic which adds to the lightness of the phone, which I love, and eliminates the need for antenna lines, giving the device a good clean look. There's something about using a plastic phone that I love. Subconsciously I'm not worrying about breaking the glass back or denting the metal frame. I don't have to baby my phone which is something I love about the N10. The overall build and feel of the device generates a bit of nostalgia for me. I'll get more into that just now.

1612945466841.jpg

The Display

Here we have a 6.49" 90hz 1080p LCD display. What does that mean for general experience and usage? It means we have a big, smooth display that will not have screen burn in or green tint issues. I love the display on this phone. I love the color accuracy. I love how white the whites are. I love how smooth the 90hz is and I love that it is easy on the battery. I know the consensus of the general public leans toward AMOLED displays. But let me tell you something. AMOLED displays are overrated. They're too expensive. They drain too much power. The colors may be vibrant but they aren't accurate enough to my liking and white balances are significantly different from device to device.

1612945531857.jpg

The Bezel

Some people might complain about that bezel. There is honestly nothing that can be done about that when you have an LCD display. That is simply how the technology is and when you have an LCD display you're going to have larger bezels. But don't let that deter you from experiencing this phone in all it's LCD glory. Using LCD brings the price down significantly and, like I stated earlier, you won't get screen burn in. Which I know a lot of users complain about here in the forums and the white balances are spot on. No weird tinting issues. Another thing I see users complaining about. So LCD ftw here!

1612945592220.jpg

The Punch hole

The punch hole front camera is also a nice touch. I'm so happy they didn't go with a notch and gave us something a little more modern. I'm a huge fan of having the front facing camera on the upper left corner. It's very out of the way and non intrusive. While watching videos on the screen the punch hole literally feels like it disappears and I don't even realize it's there.

Overall the screen is beautiful and should not be overlooked because it isn't AMOLED. I've spent enough time on these forums to know how much people complain about AMOLED displays and I would urge anyone to give this phone a try just for that reason alone.

1612945611040.jpg

The Cameras

There is so much to talk about in terms of camera. I'd just like to start off by saying I'm not a photographer, nor do I pretend to be a photography expert. I just like to take pictures and videos of my kids and things I like and post them on Instagram and Facebook lol. With that said I think these cameras punch well above their weight. With everything that you get, for $299, these cameras are more than worth the money. I'll share a few here and then link you guys to what I've posted on Instagram.

Macro shot
    1612945681279.jpg

1612945681314.jpg

Monochrome
    1612945713629.jpg

Wide angle
    1612946167491.jpg

Standard
    1612945786871.jpg

As you can see, these cameras are amazing. We can't always rely on our favorite tech reviewers and YouTubers to give us the most honest opinions because they are jaded. We have to use things ourselves and experience things on our own to get the truth. Cameras are tools like an artist with their paint brushes and pencils. Is it the pencils fault if the art sucks? lol Sometimes.... it's not the phone taking the bad picture.....it's the person taking the bad picture lol 🤷🏻‍♂️😂.

1612945812240.jpg

The Headphone jack 🤗🙌

Oh man do I love this. I miss this. This is the final piece of nostalgia that brought it full circle for me. This phone feels complete. I don't need a dongle. I don't need to charge a pair of wireless headphones or have to deal with bluetooth latency. I can just plug in whatever pair of headphones I have laying around the house and listen to whatever I want with no care or worry in the world. Bluetooth headphones are cool and all. But there's nothing like an old school headset while playing some Fortnite or listening to Linkin Park while I'm working out.

1612945844584.jpg

Wireless headphones

I've only tested the OnePlus buds with the N10 5G. They connect easily and sound great. I haven't had any bad connection or quality issues while using them. I guess that's thanks to having Bluetooth 5.1 🎧

1612945876670.jpg

Dual speakers 🔊🕺🔊

These things sound great! From listening to music, to playing video games, to watching a movie. The Sound quality is spot on and I was honestly shocked by how loud and clear they were.

1612945914636.jpg

Battery life 🔋

This phone is a beast when it comes to battery life! With the low power consumption and efficiency of the Snapdragon 690, an LCD display, and a 4300 mAh battery, were looking at a battery that can get you well past a full day of use. If somehow you happen to kill the battery within a day and a half, the N10 comes with a 30 watt charger, IN THE BOX 😆, that can get you from 0-70% in half an hour.

1612946979783.jpg

Gaming and Entertainment 🎮

The dual speakers, the color accuracy of the 90hz LCD display coupled with the headphone jack and 5G make this $299 device a force to be reckoned with. Pushing the device to the limits with Fortnite, i can say this phone is a pleasure to use playing at 30fps. I was shocked the phone was able to handle the game as well as it did. I have some videos on my Instagram that I'll link below of me snipping people left and right. you can also see the FPS holding at 30 consistently the majority of the video. Fortnite is as graphic intense as you're gonna get. So the fact that the N10 can handle that, you know it can handle most games people play with ease.

1612946066771.jpg

The conclusion ☺️

The most important part of this phone for me, is what it can potentially mean for OnePlus as a brand, and the exposure it can receive entering the low end market. This is significant to me for many reasons. I've been dying for OnePlus to bring a device like this to T-Mobile since they announced their partnership back in 2018. Something OnePlus has always lacked with customers is brand recognition. The average person wasn't willing to dish out $600, $700, $800, $900 for a phone made by a company that they've never heard of. Now $299.....that's a whole other story. At $299 OnePlus kills two birds with one stone. Not only will they be able to offer better deals with T-Mobiles qualifying customers, but they'll be able to offer a better option for customers that can only afford and/or only qualify for a phone in this price range. At the end of the day, this will increase brand awareness and establish brand loyalty.

1612946083936.jpg

The Drop
    No I'm not talking about the awesome concert OnePlus and Metro by Tmobile put together for the N10. Below I'm gonna drop (see what I did there lol) some links to videos and posts I've made on my Instagram to show off the phone a little more. 😎

Unboxing:
    https://www.instagram.com/tv/CKR3pWnjgCD/?igshid=1qzkq83q0wsxf

Pictures:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CK0aEN-DTcT/?igshid=gj5tnt7qlbr4

Video:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CK0grqADx7b/?igshid=114t1n1u5jp6y

Gaming:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CK0ix-tjiKl/?igshid=n41jzmon1zs2

Valentine's Day dedication 😍❤️🥰:
    https://instagram.com/stories/_anto...urce=ig_story_item_share&igshid=1ellkgxtr2yc8

To Purchase the phone:
    https://www.oneplus.com/oneplus-n10-5g

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021

2Retro, LilianaASilva, WS12 and 107 others like this.
  2. anunayC

anunayC , via OnePlus 6T Thunder Purple , Feb 9, 2021 :
    WOAHH Is that OnePlus sunglasses I see there!? 😎 Slick!

Also this review has really convinced me to get the N10 (soon)😂, not sure whether it'll be a downgrade from the 6T or not!

3. Antonio_Luis

Antonio_Luis , via OnePlus Nord N10 5G , Feb 9, 2021 :
    Yeah man. I got those sunglasses in back in 2019. "Upgrading" to the N10 from the 6T......the only thing I could see you really benefitting from is the device being 5G ready. The other benefits come with a lot of "ifs". If you don't mind LCD then the 90hz display is an upgrade. If you like wired headphones than the headphone jack is an upgrade. If you need expandable storage than the SD card slot is an upgrade. Pure power goes to the 6T hands down. Lastly, if there is something wrong with your 6T than the N10 would be a great substitute for a year or two. said:
    Overall I feel like this device stands on its own for people searching for a 5G ready device on a budget. Comparing this phone to other OnePlus devices or any other device outside of it's price range isn't fair at all. That's part of why I felt the need to write this review. Everyone else is making comparisons to other OnePlus devices or saying stuff like "for more money you can buy this phone or that phone" lol. Yeah we know.....it's more money 😂

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021 at 5:48 PM

4. jlasensiofi
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9 Series Feb 9, 2021

6. ntquyet143
    Gingerbread Feb 9, 2021

Y1603743008207 and Antonio_Luis like this.
  7. TheOnePlusLife
    Gingerbread Feb 9, 2021

TheOnePlusLife , Feb 9, 2021 :
    Nice review bro! I see you really love this phone :tearsofjoy: It's hands down the best budget phone you can buy from a US carrier. OnePlus thought they could do well in the budget category and they did not disappoint.

8. Fletchie1990
    Donut Feb 10, 2021

Fletchie1990 , via OnePlus Nord , Feb 10, 2021 :
    I 'downgraded' to a Nord (original one) from the 8 Pro and to be honest I don't miss it at all, and on the grand scheme of things I don't notice any difference. It's quick, good (not brilliant) battery life, quick charging and good camera, plus it gave me a few hundred £ back, so a win win.
    Phones are getting so good now that the vast majority don't need to spend £100's more on the flagship model as in real world usage the differences are negligible.

9. Antonio_Luis
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 10, 2021

Antonio_Luis , via OnePlus Nord N10 5G , Feb 10, 2021 :
    That's an understandable "downgrade" lol. And well said. This is why the Nord series coming to North America is a big deal. Not everyone needs or wants a $900 phone, let alone needs a flagship device. There's a strange assumption that users in NA don't like or want budget phones. As a former T-Mobile employee, I can tell you firsthand that that is far from the truth. And like you said, phones are getting so good now that the benefits don't really effect real world usage.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021

10. drl431
    Community Hero 2020 Feb 10, 2021

drl431 , Feb 10, 2021 :
    Thanks for posting an interesting insider perspective and review! I recently spent a few days with an N10 (non-carrier version BE2026) setting it up for my wife. I'm still using an OP6, but working with the N10 was nice, no problem with all of her apps, VoLTE, VoWiFi, and even shows 5G availability (in Preferred network type, but our MVNO doesn't support it yet, though it uses the TMO network).

The only thing that was not right was Widevine L3. I never encountered that with the OP6. Have updated the OOS to 10.5.9 and play store is up to date (with the biometric switch turned on). But she only watches videos on Facebook and YouTube (great video and stereo sound), so we don't need L1 presently. I'm not sure, but the Widevine L3 issue seems somewhat common on recent OP models, so maybe it will take a future OOS update to address it.

11. Antonio_Luis

I was shocked by these stereo speakers. And nice to know that you're still rocking the op6. Still my favorite OnePlus design. If they can somehow bring that back out with a 90hz display, I'd be the happiest man alive. OnePlus SE anyone? Lol

Y1603743008207, cdnfarmer and drl431 like this.
  12. kushal__12

13. drl431
    Community Hero 2020 Feb 10, 2021

drl431 , Feb 10, 2021 :
    Yeah, those stereo speakers are very nice! And the 90 Hz display makes the N10 seem fast, in spite of the mid-range chipset. Though I cant imagine any scenario where that chipset wont be fast enough in normal usage. About the OP6, still loving it after 2.5 years and plan on staying with it for maybe 1 or 1.5 years more!

14. Antonio_Luis

I still have mine. The back is cracked, but I put a dbrand skin on it to save it lol.

Y1603743008207 and drl431 like this.
  15. sunilr1491

Antonio_Luis likes this.
  16. T1612925332487 , via OnePlus Community App , Feb 10, 2021 :
    Agreed. This phone is awesome. The RAM is so fast and the pictures have never come off a phone like this. As a tattoo artist I need vibrant pictures. This is it! Phone of the year and we just started 2021!!!
    And I paid around $250 at Metro for it so it's extremely affordable compared to past debuts. I love LG and Samsung but it might be a while till they see any more money from me.
    Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner, by KnockOut!

17. arunpradhep
    Donut Feb 10, 2021

Antonio_Luis likes this.
  18. SRD.
    Lollipop Feb 10, 2021

19. MosheG1
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer Feb 10, 2021

MosheG1 , Feb 10, 2021 :
    Still completely confused why you would rather this when you have an 8t...

Lcd screen or not