OnePlus nord system storage issue via OnePlus Nord

1. Partha_Bhowmik
    Froyo Sep 13, 2021

2. camohan
    Moderator Moderator Sep 13, 2021

camohan , Sep 13, 2021 :
    Hi there, why do you think that would be a joke.

Nord has A/B partition which means the OS is installed at two locations. This is to ensure seamless update and usage of the device while the update is being installed.

The only downtime is the restart process when the partition is being re written with new update.

3. Partha_Bhowmik
    Froyo Sep 13, 2021

Partha_Bhowmik , via OnePlus Nord , Sep 13, 2021 :
    Who said to keep double OS by occupying huge storage?
    Users need storage and every single MB is important for a user where there is no expandable option.

Don't show any false excuse with OS backup.
    OnePlus should reduce the system storage or they should work other process to make extra OS backup for their update usage.

4. camohan
    Moderator Moderator Sep 13, 2021

camohan , Sep 13, 2021 :
    That is not a OS backup. You fail to understand what is A/B partition and it's purpose.

rHITkM., McJader and KluGe like this.
  5. Caomhin
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Sep 13, 2021

Caomhin , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Sep 13, 2021 :
    This will explain what Google have done with Android and one of the reasons for A/B partitions. It's related to the removal of the cache partion in this instance, though there are other reasons.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/356365/why-android-no-longer-needs-a-cache-partition/
    1631563685788.jpg

rHITkM., cdnfarmer and the_o2 like this.
  6. Partha_Bhowmik
    Froyo Sep 14, 2021

Partha_Bhowmik , via OnePlus Nord , Sep 14, 2021 :
    Yea...I understand.
    But for that too... Brand should optimise it and should make it within limit of 20GB -22GB.
    Recently I have seen a news about OnePlus 9 pro that the system storage is above 78GB which takes more than 55% of internal storage of 128 GB.
    I don't know what is going on. Now-a-days the track record of OnePlus is not good. Though I am a OnePlus user but I am sure that there are huge OnePlus fanbase person who will deny it.
    But it's true.
    Besides in OTA updates too...brand doesn't pushing proper important updates as well as security patches, which they have done before.
    I think Carl Pai had known about it and that's the reason of his resignation from OnePlus.

7. Fast_and_Curious
    Jelly Bean Sep 14, 2021

Fast_and_Curious , via OnePlus Nord , Sep 14, 2021 :
    Do you want an optimised system or just a system that runs laggy and consumes more battery and other resources?

If the answer to the 1st question is yes, this is the way.

If its a no and you want more storage, you need to be happy with a non-optimised laggy system.

Explanation: that system storage includes the optimisations, data files for apps and system feature files which are under the umbrella of being "system files". It will always keep on increasing as the system optimises the apps for your. Only way to get rid of those is a factory reset (hard reset) but that would clear the files temporarily and the storage would go down as you install more apps and the system optimises them for you.

Caomhin likes this.
  8. Partha_Bhowmik
    Froyo Sep 14, 2021

I have a secondary device of Google pixel 4a.
    Stock android with system storage 21.6GB.
    Runs faster and smooth still after 1 year.

Optimization can do anything.
    People buy flagship or upper midrange device for better user experience.
    Othrwise everyone can buy low price device.

Example: Redmi Note 10 pro max (system storage 23.72GB)

9. Fast_and_Curious
    Jelly Bean Sep 14, 2021

Thats how it operates. Cannot compare the optimisations between different brands as each of them offers various features and have different optimisation techniques.

For eg- oneplus's intelligent battery saving is a technique that is not available with google pixel system. This helps OOS to further optimise the system based on the usage but generates more data than stock os as it needs that data to optimise your battery usage patterns. Likewise many features like optimised charging, AOD, bitmoji AOD, etc will add up to the system storage umbrella

10. Partha_Bhowmik
    Froyo Sep 14, 2021

There are 100 ways for giving excuse.

But for me it's a belief that nothing is impossible.
    Apple can provide best image with only 12mp camera sensor which a Mi 108mp camera can't.
    Why??

So instead of giving false excuse...take it as feedback and improve system optimizations.
    It's my general views as a normal user.

11. camohan
    Moderator Moderator Sep 14, 2021

camohan , Sep 14, 2021 :
    Hi there, you can give your feedback by going to community app, tapping on your profile, My feedback, tap on "+", "Suggestions".

Creating a thread is never a means to provide feedback which can reach to the developer team.

Cheers.

Caomhin and cdnfarmer like this.
  12. Partha_Bhowmik
    Froyo Sep 14, 2021

Yes, exactly.
    I know OnePlus is e user friendly brand and they can do it.
    From OnePlus 1 ,they are listening customers and trying to give best devices with best OS experience.

Now recently they have degraded their level specially with their 9 series.

A real OnePlus user can easily observe this but a blind user can't.
    Hope you can understand in which catagory you are??

13. Partha_Bhowmik
    Froyo Sep 14, 2021

Already did.

Besides I have created a thread just to aware users.

14. Fast_and_Curious
    Jelly Bean Sep 14, 2021

I am in no way defending oneplus, i would be happy if I get more storage obviously. But oneplus has almost stopped listening to its users. I have been with oneplus since oneplus 2. But have understood some of its systems. You might think i am blind because you are not ready to understand. Sorry for your loss mate.. and hope you get all those extra system storage back by just demanding it on a user forum.

Caomhin likes this.
  15. camohan
    Moderator Moderator Sep 14, 2021

camohan , Sep 14, 2021 :
    Alright. Have a great day.

Caomhin likes this.
  16. Partha_Bhowmik
    Froyo Sep 14, 2021

No, I don't get those extra storage. But I am sure that other users will get aware with my post and also going through chat history and my frastations 😂.

Thankz, have a great day.

17. Fast_and_Curious
    Jelly Bean Sep 14, 2021

Cool. Wish you the same!

Caomhin likes this.
  18. McJader
    Marshmallow Sep 14, 2021

Caomhin likes this.
  19. Partha_Bhowmik
    Froyo Sep 14, 2021

20. Caomhin
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Sep 14, 2021

Caomhin , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Sep 14, 2021 :
    If you don't see any improvement after trying the suggestions given. Please send Bug reports and give Feedback on the issues back to the OnePlus OOS developers. So that they can investigate them.
    https://forums.oneplus.com/feedback/

And you can also contact OnePlus support directly to see if they have more information on your issue. Scroll down the page for Email, Phone contact and online Chat details.
    https://www.oneplus.com/support