OnePlus One Charger (2A) vs Belkin Home and Travel Wall Charger (2.1A)

1. arturocr
    Eclair Feb 6, 2015

arturocr , Feb 6, 2015 :
    Hi community, I'm basically writing this thread because I don't understand why this Belkin charger performs poorly compared to the OnePlus one. I use the Belkin at home, and the OnePlus at work.

I'm not an expert in currency stuff, but as you can see in the pictures below the OnePlus charger outputs 2 Amps while the Belkin outputs 2.1 Amps, but using the same cable the Belkin can be connected the whole night to my phone and barely charges it, while the OnePlus charges the battery in a couple of hours.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Do you have any idea about what could be happening here?

Thanks in advance!!

2. JuanL
    KitKat Feb 6, 2015

3. jj9596
    Froyo Feb 6, 2015

jj9596 , Feb 6, 2015 :
    Dude....pls give me a break!
    Apparently the Belkin charger is FAULTY!!!

4. Karman Tam
    Froyo Feb 6, 2015

5. arturocr
    Eclair Feb 6, 2015

arturocr , Feb 6, 2015 :
    The weird thing is that the Belkin works perfectly and super fast with my wife's Nexus 4... So as @JuanL said, I'm thinking about a compatibility issue, but how can we know then what is compatible and what is not?

6. JuanL
    KitKat Feb 6, 2015

JuanL , Feb 6, 2015 :
    Easy... The best combo is original cable and charger! Then some work better, but bot as good as the above mentiones combo

Deactivated User and arturocr like this.
  7. Slowyetfast02
    Honeycomb Feb 6, 2015

Slowyetfast02 , Feb 6, 2015 :
    Not compatible. I plugged my OnePlus cable into an aftermarket 2.1A Apple charger and it barely charged it. Plugged in my wife's iPhone 6 and it charges it very fast.

arturocr likes this.
  8. Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Marshmallow Moderator Feb 6, 2015

Maximus Decimus Meridius , Feb 6, 2015 :
    I have the same setup! N4 charges fast. But on my belkin charger: they both charges almost as equally fast compared to the original opo-charger!!! (EU-charger).
    Opo original is like very fast with opo. But the opo shouldnt take a significant differently charging time on the belkin wallcharger...

Btw: maybe the N4 charges fast cuz its a small rubbish battery. It is known.

9. minducanada
    Jelly Bean Feb 6, 2015

10. jj9596
    Froyo Feb 6, 2015

jj9596 , Feb 6, 2015 :
    Dude....Pls give me a break!!
    If it works = It is compatible!
    If it dosen't = It is NOT COMPATIBLE!!!

11. arturocr
    Eclair Feb 6, 2015

arturocr , Feb 6, 2015 :
    Don't know what could be the problem, I'll continue trying different setups.

Thanks for your thoughts!

12. wjl1086
    Gingerbread Feb 6, 2015

wjl1086 , Feb 6, 2015 :
    I have that exact same Belkin charger and it works just as well as the original OPO charger. Are you using the supplied Belkin microUSB cable? I've read some off brand cables can't handle the high current. Otherwise the charger is likely defective.

arturocr likes this.
  13. arturocr
    Eclair Feb 6, 2015

arturocr , Feb 6, 2015 :
    Hmm, maybe it's that, I bought the charger alone and I'm using it with a generic cable. This cable works fine with the OPO original charger, but maybe not with the Belkin.

Thanks for pointing that! :)

14. arturocr
    Eclair Feb 6, 2015

arturocr , Feb 6, 2015 :
    All right, definitely was the cable, changed it to the OPO original and made some tests using Ampere, take a look!
    [​IMG]

vovantos and wjl1086 like this.
  15. wjl1086
    Gingerbread Feb 6, 2015

arturocr likes this.
  16. vovantos
    Jelly Bean Feb 7, 2015

vovantos , Feb 7, 2015 :
    xm , google play says that apere is not compatible with my phone , maybe you know what the problem is?

17. arturocr
    Eclair Feb 7, 2015

arturocr , Feb 7, 2015 :
    Ampere works just with Android 5.0

vovantos likes this.
  18. nobleman01
    Gingerbread Feb 7, 2015

nobleman01 , Feb 7, 2015 :
    20mA is not enough of a difference to make the charge rate plummet, and those screenshots don't make sense. Both are showing AC charging, but the belkin is showing consistently higher min/max mA readings? Have you tried using Battery Monitor from play and setting it to log every minute while charging? This will give you an accurate look at what the phone is doing throughout its charging cycles.

FYI, a phone will charge faster from 0%-50% than it will from 80%-100%. Has to do with keeping the battery from exploding.

Also, a 24AWG Micro USB Charge Only Cable 3.3 Feet (1 Meter) For (AC) Android Charging from the big A or EB will make a difference.

edit: added some reference shots from an S5; this is using the Monoprice 4 port 2.1A USB charger. I know it's an S5, I know this is an OPO forum, I'm here for research. I also found it strange the OPO was charging at 920ma

Almost all of these phones will charge faster when the screen is off. This S5 is charging at 1.8A while the screen is off, and 1.2A while the screen is on.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015

19. arturocr
    Eclair Feb 10, 2015

arturocr , Feb 10, 2015 :
    Thanks for your answer, the screenshots i posted above had almost the same charge rate, but when I was using a crappy usb cable for charging the difference were abismal, like 360 mA, so definitely was related to cable.

I see you have a monoprice charger, but what about the cable? Is it a 24AWG cable? Where can we find one?

Thanks for your help @nobleman01

20. nobleman01
    Gingerbread Feb 10, 2015