OnePlus One dbrand Skin | Carbon | First Look & Review

1. HR_778
    KitKat Aug 21, 2015

HR_778 , Aug 21, 2015 :
    So, I recently purchased a dbrand skin for my OnePlus One and thought I'd do a little first look & review for you guys. Now, I know there are already existing threads that cover dbrand skins and even the exact combination of skin which I went with, so @gusuraman feel free to link this review to your Accessories thread :).

First Look:
    If you've never purchased a dbrand skin before, the process of ordering is very easy and fun as you can play around with different colours, styles and textures. They've got a variety of hardware you can customize too, from phones to consoles. You can check them out for yourself here: https://dbrand.com/
    Capture.PNG After you've spent about 5 years deciding on what skin you want (I couldn't decide between Mahogany and Carbon) you just place your order and you're good to go. dbrand then send you a confirmation along with an estimation of how long the skin will take to get to you. In the e-mail it said 7-14 days but I actually got it within 5 days - OnePlus could learn a thing or two from dbrand when it comes to delivery :rolleyes:.

Once your skin arrives it'll be a little plastic envelope - nothing to write home about but it gets the job done.
    IMG_20150821_202512.jpg
    I eventually settled on the Carbon skin for my OnePlus One. Upon arrival, my first thoughts were that the texture is just amazing, I wouldn't go as far as to say it's grippier than the original Sandstone back, but it is still quite good. I went with the black Carbon back, with red Carbon accents for the Logo and Camera. One thing to note is that dbrand provide extra skins for the accents like the camera and logo, I believe this is the same for other devices too. In the case of the OnePlus One, they provide 4 OnePlus logos and 3 camera accents, and of course, another camera accent the same texture and colour as the back, if you choose to purchase one.
    IMG_20150821_154619.jpg
    (The camera skins are not missing btw, I had purchased red Carbon accents not long ago and still had spares :p).

Installation:
    The installation procedure for the dbrand skin is very simple, I just followed the video guide which they had on their YouTube channel. The guide makes it easier, but honestly, it is very easy to install in the first place. Since I'm a perfectionist, it took me two attempts to get it right - A very low number for me :rolleyes:. The best thing about it is the fact that if you do make a mistake, just take it off and try again, the 3M material is very forgiving ;).
    IMG-20150821-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20150821-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20150821-WA0001.jpg

Review:

Now to the meat and potatoes, and the first thing I want to talk about is the feel. Having felt real carbon fiber before, this does not feel exactly like how carbon fiber feels, but this is not a bad thing. It has more texture than real carbon fiber, which is what it is being portrayed as. This means it is quite grippy, albeit not as grippy as the original Sandstone material. Speaking of the feel, in the hand it feels amazing. It really does make the device feel and look more premium. Many people complain about the quite obvious and maybe slightly harsh edges of the skin, which you can feel when using the device. I actually quite like this as it adds emphasis to the 4.6mm edge of the device, making it feel a lot slimmer.
    Onto the looks, I'm happy to report it really does look like carbon fiber, even if the pictures don't show this (Z3 really struggled :D). dbrand doesn't trademark 'the most precise fit on earth' for no reason, the measurements are equal and exact, making the skin feel as though it is completely part of the device. One thing which sets dbrand apart from other skin manufacturers, apart from the precise fit, is that for devices such as the OnePlus One, they leave the sides of the device completely bare. There could be a plethora of reasons as to why dbrand chose to do this, but again, I think this is a good thing. The fact that the skin isn't as grippy as the Sandstone texture means that when holding the device, the grip levels are about on par as stock due to the exposed Sandstone textures, imo.
    The final thing I want to talk about is pricing and compatibility of cases. In terms of pricing, dbrand is very reasonable. If you choose to go with a complete skin (everything including the front) it will set you back about $18 (£11) but if you go for just the back (like me) it'll cost about $11 (£7). So the prices are pretty reasonable. As for case compatibility, I've tested both my Tudia Cygen and OnePlus Clear cases and both work as intended, with no issues, not that I intend to use a case with this skin :p.
    Well that just about sums up my review on the Carbon dbrand skin for the OnePlus One. Hope you guys enjoyed it and if you have any questions, feel free to ask. Thanks for reading :).

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015

2. SayMyName
    Jelly Bean Aug 21, 2015

SayMyName , Aug 21, 2015 :
    Great review. I've been thinking about purchasing a dbrand skin as well, but the thing is, I leave my case on all day long, and I only take it off when charging the phone. I'd like to know if you have a case, if it fits the device accordingly and most importantly, if it doesn't rip the skin apart once you take it off :D.

HR_778 likes this.
  3. HR_778
    KitKat Aug 21, 2015

HR_778 , Aug 21, 2015 :
    Thank you :)
    As a matter of fact I have two cases. Tudia Cygen case and the OnePlus Clear case. I'll test them for you now ;).

meatandy and SayMyName like this.
  4. EpicSwirly
    Aug 21, 2015

EpicSwirly , Aug 21, 2015 :
    Nice and thorough review. Looks good, it's kind of tempting to get a skin for my OPO.

meatandy and HR_778 like this.
  5. SimonFullerImagery
    Jelly Bean Aug 21, 2015

SimonFullerImagery , Aug 21, 2015 :
    I have the same for my silk white. I got bored after 10 months and fancied a change. Dbrand is surprisingly durable. Think I might get the red texture for my op2.

HR_778 likes this.
  6. MrOnePlusLTE
    Gingerbread Aug 21, 2015

MrOnePlusLTE , Aug 21, 2015 :
    we all know OP2 tends to get a bit warm, will this carbon skin help us make the phone feel less warm?

HR_778 likes this.
  7. HR_778
    KitKat Aug 21, 2015

HR_778 , Aug 21, 2015 :
    Thanks, I say go for it. I got really bored of the Sandstone texture. But then again, you're getting the OP2 Soon™ ;).

meatandy and Deactivated User like this.
  8. sush35
    Gingerbread Aug 21, 2015

HR_778 likes this.
  9. HR_778
    KitKat Aug 21, 2015

HR_778 , Aug 21, 2015 :
    Sounds good :)

meatandy likes this.
  10. Amir79
    Honeycomb Aug 21, 2015

Amir79 , Aug 21, 2015 :
    I was thinking of getting a dbrand skin as well, and loving the black carbon and red look.

HR_778 likes this.
  11. EpicSwirly
    Aug 21, 2015

EpicSwirly , Aug 21, 2015 :
    Lol. I had the bamboo SS before. Came back to the sandstone but it would be a nice change. As for the OP2, it should have come on Wednesday but then USPS happened.[​IMG]. So it should be here tomorrow given that USPS doesn't mess up again.

meatandy, rphlfjrd and HR_778 like this.
  12. HR_778
    KitKat Aug 21, 2015

HR_778 , Aug 21, 2015 :
    I don't have a OP2 so I can't really say. But the temperature of my OPO has stayed the same. So I would assume it wouldn't make a difference.

meatandy likes this.
  13. HydrogenOS
    Eclair Aug 21, 2015

HR_778 likes this.
  14. HR_778
    KitKat Aug 21, 2015

meatandy and sush35 like this.
  15. HR_778
    KitKat Aug 21, 2015

HR_778 , Aug 21, 2015 :
    I wish you all the best :)

meatandy and Deactivated User like this.
  16. HR_778
    KitKat Aug 21, 2015

HR_778 , Aug 21, 2015 :
    It really does :cool:

meatandy likes this.
  17. HR_778
    KitKat Aug 21, 2015

HR_778 , Aug 21, 2015 :
    Thank you, I definitely recommend it :)

meatandy likes this.
  18. HR_778
    KitKat Aug 21, 2015

HR_778 , Aug 21, 2015 :
    Alright, I've just tested both cases and can confirm they both still fit and function correctly. The material is quite thin and strong so I wouldn't worry about the case ripping the skin off. Think of a regular sticker, but stronger..much stronger. Hope this helps :)

meatandy and SayMyName like this.
  19. SayMyName
    Jelly Bean Aug 21, 2015

SayMyName , Aug 21, 2015 :
    That's good to know. Thanks!

HR_778 likes this.
  20. HR_778
    KitKat Aug 21, 2015

HR_778 , Aug 21, 2015 :
    That reminds me, I forgot to add prices and case compatibility :eek:. Edit time! :cool:

meatandy likes this.