OnePlus One Europe Version?

1. Carl
    Co-founder Staff Member Aug 22, 2014

Carl , Aug 22, 2014 :
    Friends,

Back in April, we said we would consider making a European version of the One with band 800MHz if things went well and resources free up. The One has received recognition far beyond what we originally expected, and now that production is stabilizing, we are able to free up some project management resources for other things.

Now, we're debating whether or not to pursue a European version of the One. We have a lot of interest in Europe, and we also really want to improve the product experience for our users there. Europe is really important for us.

We wanted to run this through you due to some of the feedback we've received. Among some users, there is the expectation that if there were to be a European version released, we would be able to recall all previously sold devices and replace them for free, that we could simply just sell them as refurbished units. While the intention is good, this is not something we will be able to do. It means instant bankruptcy, and the reasons are as follows:
    • Margins: Our focus is on the user, and how we can maximize the value for them. Because of this, we have a near zero gross margin on our product. We do not have the margins to absorb costs related to replacements and refurbishing.
    • How refurbishing works: Every device returned will be different, and every device will be thoroughly disassembled, inspected, and cleaned. If the back cover has any damage, it will be replaced. If there's a scratch on the touchscreen, the entire front panel will be replaced (the downside of One Glass Solution tech). This entire process requires a lot of labor, is extremely costly, and can take many months.
    • Project management: We've sold quite a few phones, and we are not going to have the manpower to coordinate the replacement of all phones sold to date.
    So, you see why we're still contemplating whether to pursue this or not. If we do, it will take a quarter to launch. While we want to create a better product for Europe, we do not want to alienate our early adopters, as they mean a lot to us. If it means that doing this will turn them against us, this is an opportunity we'd be willing to forego.

I'm putting this out here because I want your feedback. What would you do in our shoes?

Edit: After hearing feedback from the community, we decided to not move forward with this.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014

2. Hannibal Lecter
    Jelly Bean Aug 22, 2014

Hannibal Lecter , Aug 22, 2014 :
    An European version of the One. I sure look forward to it! Thanks for letting us know about this!

Now for some feedback,...

It is very understandable and I do think that it is better to perhaps start it up in the safest quantity possible (zero is ok). Of course, I am also not from EU so I can't really understand but as the individual I am, I do selfishly believe that for a business in OnePlus's circumstances, such an investment really is too much and risky. I think it'd be best to focus all labor and costs on the problems present on the phones right now rather than try for new versions of the One.

Anyways, thanks for updating us with these type of news again. It is always somewhat pleasant to see some official news.

With news announced and my jolly mood, I can already tell dinner will be excellent tonight.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014

mahvi, meho, Dylan.m321 and 17 others like this.
  3. TeamValor91
    Community Veteran Aug 22, 2014

4. Aaahh
    Marshmallow Aug 22, 2014

5. deejay01
    KitKat Aug 22, 2014

deejay01 , Aug 22, 2014 :
    Thanks for the explanation. I think you are on the right track with not wanting to alienate the early adopters. Refresh my memory - 800 would open up some Europeans with LTE - that are currently on H or 3G?

6. Carl

Carl , Aug 22, 2014 :
    Sorry to say, this is not how smartphone manufacturing works.

Dylan.m321, hazzavg, Menma and 12 others like this.
  7. Aaahh
    Marshmallow Aug 22, 2014

Aaahh , Aug 22, 2014 :
    Margins like these I see why...

8. TeamValor91

Karene007 and mingtrinh like this.
  9. Aaahh
    Marshmallow Aug 22, 2014

Aaahh , Aug 22, 2014 :
    Its hardware based

subhas_sing, Jex7, nubiaz7max and 2 others like this.
  10. TeamValor91

TeamValor91 , Aug 22, 2014 :
    The hardware should theoretically support it, no?

11. kwwuu
    Honeycomb Aug 22, 2014

kwwuu , Aug 22, 2014 :
    just a suggestion, many people out here raving for the oneplus are tech geeks, will there ever be sites to get replacement parts so we can repair the phones our selves.

12. Aaahh
    Marshmallow Aug 22, 2014

Aaahh , Aug 22, 2014 :
    Maybe, but that would be really bad compared to preshiped

13. kwwuu
    Honeycomb Aug 22, 2014

kwwuu , Aug 22, 2014 :
    yeah if we can get replacement parts, many people here are geeks and can probably fix this phone if damaged.

14. Carl

Carl , Aug 22, 2014 :
    No, because the antennas aren't there. :)
    It means replacing the entire motherboard, which costs close to a brand new phone. In addition, a large portion of these installations will be unsuccessful, which isn't something we can cover by warranty.

Fraser, subhas_sing, lllzh and 12 others like this.
  15. Waterdroid

Waterdroid , Aug 22, 2014 :
    I wouldn't mind having an international One while there's an EU version out there. The Early Supporters are supporters nonetheless, and I'm sure they will respect your choices and moves as much as I do.
    Go for it dude.

16. TeamValor91

TeamValor91 , Aug 22, 2014 :
    You said it yourself "HSPDA+ (3G) can go up to 42 Mbps. OnePlus One supports 3G flawlessly in Europe, so depending on the location and situation, the difference may not actually be all that great." The difference of 8 Mbps I do not believe warrants the risk.

jdf, ITPiraten, denboy72 and 2 others like this.
  17. Skf123
    Marshmallow Aug 22, 2014

Skf123 , Aug 22, 2014 :
    Being in the UK i personally wouldn't mind too much if you release a European version, this may change down the line though if i decide to switch networks. Either way thank you for asking for feedback from current owners of the oneplus one in Europe before making this decision

dewidh, DoomCaek, shcxatter2 and 4 others like this.
  18. qwidgibo
    Gingerbread Aug 22, 2014

qwidgibo , Aug 22, 2014 :
    Hmm, it's always interesting to see the perspective of OP. And I see exactly OPs reasoning that at this point it is probably best to focus on different things as this change could end up alienating some customers who have already purchased the phone. In the long term such a change could be successful but right now I would say it is not necessary. Best to get a larger marketshare before moving on to new changes.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014

edgardopichardo and lazieye like this.
  19. Skf123
    Marshmallow Aug 22, 2014

Skf123 , Aug 22, 2014 :
    I get up to 25mb on 3g that's with virgin (they use EE's network)

maf1otul and gmo8492 like this.
  20. Jayception
    KitKat Aug 22, 2014

Jayception , Aug 22, 2014 :
    I think this would get a lot of Europeans excited. It's something to definitely consider further.