Guide OnePlus One - How to Unlock Bootloader, Install Custom Recovery and Root

1. gbajpai
    Gingerbread Nov 12, 2014

gbajpai , Nov 12, 2014 :
    As silly as it may sound..

So a non rooted OPO 44s i unlock bootloader and obviously phone is wiped..

1. At this point, is the phone still on 44s or back to how it came which in my case was 33r?
    2. If using twrp, if i want to get SU, do i keep the SU.zip on root of OPO and then select and swipe to root?
    3. If for point#1, it is 33r, then do i do incremental OTA before doing root or after doing root as i believe if i update, i will lose root and would require to redo it.

Anyone who can answer without getting bugged is much appreciated as i did try to search for these but still confused.

2. F4TinF1T
    Froyo Nov 12, 2014

3. qee4q
    Froyo Nov 12, 2014

qee4q , Nov 12, 2014 :
    I've got root and am running 38r. Is it safe for me to install the ota 44s? Should I take any precautions?

I think I've read that some people bricked their phone that way.

4. kirti12
    Cupcake Nov 13, 2014

5. kirti12
    Cupcake Nov 13, 2014

6. hsarkari
    Eclair Nov 13, 2014

hsarkari , Nov 13, 2014 :
    Awesome Guide! <insert 'thumbs up' emoji here> Thanks for all the Effort!:cool:

I have a few quick questions though:

Firstly, I a total android world noob (just crawling out from under my symbian rock:oops:) and I'm not really a power user. I don't quite have the urge for rooted apps..............yet!:p

That being said however, I am concerned regarding the effects of some OTA updates some people have had :eek: (for e.g. the screen jittering with 38R etc.)

What I am primarily aiming to do is to be able to create a complete backup (drivers and all, like an img in Windows) of my OPO once I get it next week before applying any OTA, so that if it does break something I can go back to my earlier CM version.

So heres the questions:

1. Does CM11's built in recovery allow me to do what I seek (i.e. jump back to earlier CM version after an OTA) or is a custom recovery like TWRP/CWM/Titanium a must?

2. If I perform simply steps one and two of the guide and omit the actual "rooting part" can the TWRP installed meet my requirements? Or is a complete root a must?

3. When you say that unlocking bootloader will wipe the phone, do you mean simply user specific data or the entire existing ROM? If so how do you reload CM11S?

4. Once rooted, do I have to re-install my original CM version, or is that retained by default if I dont opt to install any custom ROMs?

5. Where in my device are the recoveries stored and how do I archive them up on my PC?

Thats all for now, will probably have more later. Appreciate all the help Ive seen given by the community!:) Thanks Everybody!;)

7. Inzun
    Jelly Bean Nov 13, 2014

Inzun , Nov 13, 2014 :
    This is the only phone that I like because it won't void your warranty because you root your device.

8. levronstyle212
    Gingerbread Nov 13, 2014

9. F4TinF1T
    Froyo Nov 13, 2014

F4TinF1T , Nov 13, 2014 :
    I have same question! Anybody have answer for this??

10. stewa2jm
    Honeycomb Nov 13, 2014

stewa2jm , Nov 13, 2014 :
    I lost root and TWRP. Yes, I had the "Update CM Recovery" options off in the developer options... Be prepared to flash, or go over to XDA and download the stock rooted 44S update. I am not bricked.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-one/development/rom-stock-rooted-4-4-4-xnph44s-t2932551

@F4TinF1T

qee4q likes this.
  11. quenelman
    Cupcake Nov 13, 2014

quenelman , Nov 13, 2014 :
    bjr mon opo a plus ou moins le même problème que certain "redémarrage incessant" il démarre en vibrant ensuite l'icone s'affiche puis la deuxième qui tourne ensuite le choix de la langue et quand je défile il bloque et redémarre et si je touche a rien il redémarre aussi en boucle .
    si vous avez des solution pour me sauvé la vie sa serait gentille merci d'avance

12. DaveC
    Eclair Nov 13, 2014

DaveC , Nov 13, 2014 :
    COOL!

13. Bri LFC
    Donut Nov 13, 2014

Bri LFC , Nov 13, 2014 :
    Anyone know why im getting the "device not found" error? ive installed the rom but forgot to put my Gapps on like a noob and im stuck in bootloop and unable to adb push or send any zip files over :mad: any help would be much appreciated :(:)

14. KhalMinos
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 14, 2014

KhalMinos , Nov 14, 2014 :
    Just used this guideand first two steps were successful! Thanks to @Chromium1 for the detailed explanation!!

However I am having problems with the rooting process, it says device is not connected!
    Can anyone help?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014

15. GreenMonday
    Cupcake Nov 14, 2014

GreenMonday , Nov 14, 2014 :
    will this work on Mac? are those installation guide for PC only?

16. Qvoth
    Cupcake Nov 14, 2014

Qvoth , Nov 14, 2014 :
    So when I bought my phone, I asked the shop to root my phone as well, I even saw the superuser app so I know it's rooted, but after I updated to 44s it's no longer rooted (I knew that would happen)

If I want to root my phone again, do I need to do the bootlocker thing again? I really don't wanna wipe my phone

17. neochaser5
    Donut Nov 14, 2014

neochaser5 , Nov 14, 2014 :
    Guys, Any idea why I am not able to update to 44S? My OPO is rooted and when I received the OTA, I tried to update but it just keeps rebooting to TWRP recovery mode and gives the error attached. I hope someone could help me. I would like to apologize in advance if ever I posted in the wrong thread.

[​IMG]

18. ABINHO11
    Donut Nov 14, 2014

19. naphox
    Cupcake Nov 14, 2014

naphox , Nov 14, 2014 :
    I have a problem unlocking the bootloader (the oem unlock command) after i installing 44s, anyone have samme troubles?

20. gillie2
    Donut Nov 14, 2014

gillie2 , Nov 14, 2014 :
    after installing twrp i always keep getting to the cyanogen recovery when using vol down and power although it seems to have flashed twrp and rooted succesfully