Guide OnePlus One - How to Unlock Bootloader, Install Custom Recovery and Root

1. Vynn
    Gingerbread Jul 27, 2014

Vynn , Jul 27, 2014 :
    Hi folks, just curious...I came from galaxy S4 which can use ODIN, any idea why not for OnePlus One?

2. Chiramisu
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 27, 2014

Chiramisu , Jul 27, 2014 :
    @Chromium I also seem to be having troubles with the driver install. I tried the following process to no avail:
    1. Downloaded & unzipped full Android SDK
    2. Freshly installed the latest Java JDK & JRE (build 1.8.0_11-b12)
    3. Ensured all needed packages installed in SDK Manager
    4. Downloaded & installed Universal ADB Driver as you recommended
    Note that I did these steps after already having plugged in my phone for the first time in Windows 7 x64 where Windows automatically installed what appears to be one of the drivers for the phone, but perhaps not the other? This is what I see, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the other "One" to be recognized.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

When I plug in the phone in Debug mode, only a "Portable Device" (with a generic camera icon) appears and contains the "DCIM" and "Pictures" folders in its root. This would seem to indicate to me that the other "One" device is the actual system drive which I'm currently unable to access. :(

I also tried this guide here, but still without success:
    Manually installing Android ADB USB Driver

Help would be greatly appreciated. I've been at this for hours when rooting should have only taken a few minutes, and I've rooted at least one other phone a couple years ago so I'm not entirely new to the process. :(

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014

3. R3d
    Gingerbread Jul 27, 2014

augustjamesd and Chiramisu like this.
  4. AdityaSrinidhi
    Gingerbread Jul 27, 2014

5. magnushelander
    Honeycomb Jul 27, 2014

magnushelander , Jul 27, 2014 :
    Apparently TWRP gives you the option to root by installing SuperSU after a backup. Pretty cool and it works like a charm :)

6. vaderyeh
    Gingerbread Jul 27, 2014

vaderyeh , Jul 27, 2014 :
    Just a curious question. Does the opo not play nicely with windows xp? Couldnt seem to get it to install the drivers. I have since installed ubuntu and now I use that for all my dev needs but I'm just asking for my own benefit. Thanks

7. JMonty95
    Cupcake Jul 27, 2014

R3d likes this.
  8. vaderyeh
    Gingerbread Jul 27, 2014

What version of windows are you using? And are you using the latest adb?

9. vaderyeh
    Gingerbread Jul 27, 2014

Yeah thanks. I tried everything I could think of to install the drivers, even a force install and Manuel. I switched to Linux and no issues. I think it had something to do with Microsoft not supporting xp anymore. :/

10. JMonty95
    Cupcake Jul 27, 2014

JMonty95 , Jul 27, 2014 :
    Ahh possibly, but the guide I linked manually shows where the ADB drivers are located in the sdk folder, then updates them for the device. It was the only fix that worked for me.

But glad it worked on Linux for you!

11. corpierro
    Donut Jul 27, 2014

12. vaderyeh
    Gingerbread Jul 28, 2014

13. ar1ntx
    Gingerbread Jul 28, 2014

14. vaderyeh
    Gingerbread Jul 28, 2014

vaderyeh , Jul 28, 2014 :
    Thanks, I guess I'll never know I wiped the windows partition and now my laptop just runs Ubuntu. It takes a little setting up but its great.

15. cchant
    Froyo Jul 28, 2014

cchant , Jul 28, 2014 :
    Odin is for Samsung only. If you try it on any other device you'll most likely brick it

Vynn likes this.
  16. R3d
    Gingerbread Jul 28, 2014

17. cole
    Honeycomb Jul 28, 2014

cole , Jul 28, 2014 :
    Not to point out the very obvious, but your phone is in MTP mode, and not PTP mode when connected via USB to the computer, correct?

18. patstar5
    Jelly Bean Jul 28, 2014

19. cole
    Honeycomb Jul 28, 2014

cole , Jul 28, 2014 :
    There is a slim SDK somewhere. I originally used it for my nexus 5 and continued using it with my S5 and my OPO

20. patstar5
    Jelly Bean Jul 28, 2014

patstar5 , Jul 28, 2014 :
    Well I rooted my HTC one with it, oneplus one should be here this week. Going to do this first thing. This doesn't void warranty?