OnePlus One & iPhone headphones compatibility

1. ionpan89
    Honeycomb Jun 7, 2014

ionpan89 , Jun 7, 2014 :
    Just to be clear, Ι have searched a LOT about this and found no satisfying answer whatsoever so, this questions is mostly addressed to the new holders of the One.

Is OnePlus One compatible with iDevices-compatible headsets (stereo earphones, mic & buttons)?
    And if so, to what degree? Does the mic work? Do the buttons work without any problems or with only a few?

I think everyone here is familiar with the fact that there are plenty options out there for iPhone/iPad users when is comes to headphones. From simple stereo earphones to super-duper in-earphones with buttons and mic and coffee machine on the side. However, I haven't noticed the same plethora of devices for the Android users. What makes it riskier to buy a headset for my (possible) OnePlus One is that I have come across several Android phones that were incompatible with iPhone-compatible headphones to a level that they were unusable (music from only one earphone etc.)

touh0, Asse123, Anjum and 1 other person like this.
  2. Ludafire
    Donut Jun 7, 2014

Ludafire , Jun 7, 2014 :
    Why would you buy iphone headphones if you are an android user... Just buy some cheap genuine Samsung in ear headphones on ebay

DanDuke641, aussietanker and John j like this.
  3. Gir357
    Honeycomb Jun 7, 2014

Gir357 , Jun 7, 2014 :
    I can safely say that music playback is pretty much a standard, so I wouldn't worry about music through only one earbud. The buttons are a different story though....

DanDuke641 likes this.
  4. John j
    Jelly Bean Jun 7, 2014

5. ionpan89
    Honeycomb Jun 7, 2014

ionpan89 , Jun 7, 2014 :
    I'm actually talking about headphone options from third party manufacturers: Denon, Pioneer etc. They all offer their best models as "iPhone compatible".

EDIT: I don't actually care about Apple-branded earphones

TForesto and aussietanker like this.
  6. hazzavg
    KitKat Jun 7, 2014

hazzavg , Jun 7, 2014 :
    I don't know about apple ones but Samsung in ear headphones have a mic and buttons but no coffee machine
    But the mic and buttons all work
    I know this is gonna sound stupid but you're better off going for headphones that are made for android

TForesto and DanDuke641 like this.
  7. ionpan89
    Honeycomb Jun 7, 2014

ionpan89 , Jun 7, 2014 :
    My thoughts exactly, but if I'm about to give €100 for a headset I'd like the mic and at least one of the buttons (answer call, play/pause) to work.

8. Jbleakley93
    Gingerbread Jun 7, 2014

Jbleakley93 , Jun 7, 2014 :
    because if they put "iPhone compatible" on their products all the cool people of the world will buy it

everybody else buys stuff based on the merit of quality of the products :p

9. hazzavg
    KitKat Jun 7, 2014

hazzavg , Jun 7, 2014 :
    But not caring about apple will be different
    The ones that say they work on iPhone like the denons and stff will work on an android phone
    As long as there's 3 buttons and a mic they'll all do something
    Maybe not in the right order
    Maybe in the right order

Asse123 likes this.
  10. Amygdala
    Honeycomb Jun 7, 2014

11. ionpan89
    Honeycomb Jun 7, 2014

ionpan89 , Jun 7, 2014 :
    That's what I hope for.

12. networkdood
    KitKat Jun 7, 2014

networkdood , Jun 7, 2014 :
    Regular 3.5 mm jack phones? Yes, for just simple listening...beyond that - GOOGLE it...

13. MSD
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 7, 2014

MSD , Jun 7, 2014 :
    There are plenty of headphones out there that work perfectly on Android..or better put are made for Android devices.

JBL S200A is such an In-ear earbuds...but if you're looking for other company headphones, usually it's noted there if that headphone with the media buttons or buttons to pick up calls etc...is android compatible or not.

I hope this answers your question.

ionpan89 likes this.
  14. portree2k
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 7, 2014

portree2k , Jun 7, 2014 :
    No

15. ionpan89
    Honeycomb Jun 8, 2014

ionpan89 , Jun 8, 2014 :
    Even there lots of models have this "iPhone compatible" certification. If, for any reason, these two standards are incompatible, those iPhone compatibles earphones won't work (I suppose)

16. Cabinet
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 8, 2014

Cabinet , Jun 8, 2014 :
    Ear buds/headphones/stereo systems that use the 3.5mm jack/bluetooth, it will probably work with the OnePlus One just fine. As for the docks, probably not, since most android devices use micro USB as a standard.

17. Anjum
    Froyo Jun 8, 2014

Anjum , Jun 8, 2014 :
    Good question.

touh0 likes this.
  18. Amygdala
    Honeycomb Jun 8, 2014

Amygdala , Jun 8, 2014 :
    I don't get it. Doesn't the iPhone have a 3.5 mm jack for headphones?

19. Anjum
    Froyo Jun 8, 2014

Anjum , Jun 8, 2014 :
    Good Advice :D

20. Shivam Maharaj
    Gingerbread Jun 8, 2014

Shivam Maharaj , Jun 8, 2014 :
    what apple headphones has is volume control. and only sammy ones are the ones that work for android