OnePlus One vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which has the better camera?

1. sarin.j
    Honeycomb Dec 5, 2014

sarin.j , Dec 5, 2014 :
    Perhaps you should tell Apple to stop mentioning aperture and MP as well. Because they say in rather big letters one key feature as f2.2 capturing 81% more light. I think fruity fans can only claim that while others shouldn't.

The 4K video when taken in handheld mode came out really choppy and didnt fare well on the TV. However one which was taken with a tripod came out really well. Believe what you want to believe, its your choice.

You seem to forget the fact that the original debate started about h/w specs. Useless on paper may be to you or people like you. But if the fruity can claim the same specs why can't OPO?

M4ENY likes this.
  2. 9had
    Gingerbread Dec 5, 2014

9had , Dec 5, 2014 :
    OPO does indeed have some great specs, but its missing the one that matter the most.

- software is buggy to say the least.
    - image stabilisation
    - slow camera operation

All this makes OPO in my opinion lesser desireable option. I'd choose iPhone non raw and 8megapixels anytime.
    I do not always have luxury of setting hardware up for a shot. I just beed to cspture the moment. Not have it wait for me.
    If I did, I'd use my Sony DSLR + tripod. Even thou my Sony does have image stabilisation.

M4ENY likes this.
  3. 9had
    Gingerbread Dec 5, 2014

9had , Dec 5, 2014 :
    My point exactly. You painted raw images and lightroom combo as all migthy. It can't do the things that we are talking about here.

M4ENY likes this.
  4. sarin.j
    Honeycomb Dec 5, 2014

sarin.j , Dec 5, 2014 :
    Software is indeed an issue. Stock camera is terrible but other tools like Camera FV put out some great shots. Which is why I first said that iPhone seem to have found a means to fully utilize the capability of its h/w using in iOS while Android in general and OPO in particular failed to do so despite having superior specs.

OIS is indeed a greatly missed option.

Slow camera has multiple factors. PDAF makes focussing faster. Then writing into the storage is another facotr which is independnt of camera specs. Software do play a role in that as well.

I never disputed that iphone takes great shots out of the box. Way better than OPO. I merely stated that specwise the OPO has better one.

M4ENY likes this.
  5. gurjisolo
    Gingerbread Dec 5, 2014

gurjisolo , Dec 5, 2014 :
    This thred is about camera quality correct ? Tell me why my previous post shouldn't be here ?

6. mydroid
    KitKat Dec 5, 2014

mydroid , Dec 5, 2014 :
    you either have a lemon opo or need a photography class... either way OPO camera is great its just your problem.

7. 9had
    Gingerbread Dec 5, 2014

9had , Dec 5, 2014 :
    You mentioned lightroom as a single solution to all problems. Lightroom is great piece of software I use it as well. But it can't do unblur... Which is what I mostly get out of my opos camera.

I am not pro photographer I will admit that. But me being educated in design and graphics processes, I think I know few things about taking a picture. In a technical sense, not talking about taste.
    It might be phone that is lemon... But it does create nice and sharp images onces bolted to something stationary... And once you give it time to save images.

So it is lemon by design I'd say.

8. mydroid
    KitKat Dec 5, 2014

mydroid , Dec 5, 2014 :
    Pls look at my posts in my signature photos from Australia especially panoramic photos some subjects are not stationary and are moving also I didn't use tripods or place on something to shoot only handheld. So to say opo is a lemon design in untrue. Its the user.

9. 9had
    Gingerbread Dec 5, 2014

9had , Dec 5, 2014 :
    OnePlus One Flagship killer - Camera Speed:

This is how my OPO took images few weeks ago...
    Its not most exciting motif but it shows the operations...
    Since then, I've reflashed everything few times and its much better but still far from "instant"...

10. sarin.j
    Honeycomb Dec 5, 2014

sarin.j , Dec 5, 2014 :
    Took a lot of digging through my archives to find this. This is the article I was referring to.

http://improvephotography.com/30019/iphone-6-camera-depth-review/

Under lowlight performance and a few other sections he states that the camera sensor hasn't changed from the 5s to 6+. However, it looks like the PDAF sensor is not separate which means its built into the image sensor itself. so there IS a change. So at this point am not so sure, may be you have access to more details? If you do , please post.

These statements summarizes what I been telling all along in general terms.

"In a spec-to-spec war, the iPhone gets pummeled. I will say that there is a lot about the iPhone that can’t be measured with specs, and can really only be seen in real world tests."

EDIT:- I remember there was another more detailed analysis done by another expert including Note4 and OPO with 6+. The outcome was along the same lines. He had more videos and sample photos. If I find it, I will post it here.

M4ENY likes this.
  11. M4ENY
    KitKat Dec 5, 2014

M4ENY , Dec 5, 2014 :
    And OP and I keep telling you that higher MP and lower Aperture is not "better" in specification..... Btw 1080P video filmed in tripod looks great too... If you honestly think 4k video with terrible bit rate is gonna look "better" than a 1080P with its own bit rate issues (not as much of an issue here since it's capturing much less data than 4k) all filmed professionally on a tripod you are just lying to yourself and everyone who is reading your post.

You keep mentioning that Apple (fruity.. Are you a kid?) keeps mentioning Aperture so why can't opo? No one is stopping OPO from mentioning their aperture... IN Fact every smartphone s mention about their MP etc in their hardware if they choose not to mention aperture then it's their problem.
    there is nothing wrong with Apple talking about their camera aperture etc since there is nothing stopping other brands including OPO from talking about theirs

12. M4ENY
    KitKat Dec 5, 2014

M4ENY , Dec 5, 2014 :
    You seem to be quite knowledgeable with this topic and yet you keep arguing in a way that doesn't really help you out making your point.

That quote by the author about in specs getting pummelled is his/her opinion.
    Which is basically what you are doing to yourself the whole time.

What OP and I am doing is real life application of the said hardware in action..
    Where OPO clearly is not as good compared to Apple.
    Don't even mention tripods... Only you will use that every time you want to take photo with your OPO.. Smartphone camera

fyi I am not a die hard Apple fan. I have owned and used more android phones and I can tell you OPO is worse than Samsung camera, Motorola x 2014 camera and LG g3 camera as well

13. rishi_m7
    Froyo Dec 5, 2014

chusoooo likes this.
  14. rwoods716
    KitKat Dec 5, 2014

rwoods716 , Dec 5, 2014 :
    I am not sure how the fact that the sensor has changed or not nice the 5S has anything to do with the topic we're on.

First of all, when he says the iPhone gets pummeled, pummeled by what? Because the one thing he wasn't talking about there was the two phone. It all comes down to the old myth that more megapixels means better hardware and that's just not true. Also, the reason he says this is because of the same crazy math that you use.

Again, it's like saying that a 1440p display is better than a 1080p display and saying that that is better hardware. It's not because the user cannot tell the difference between 1080p and 1440p in a smart phone. Since the user cannot tell the difference, it's a useless drain on the processor, memory, and battery.

Like you said, the idea of wanting a lower resolution camera because its faster is a matter of opinion. Then again, so is wanting a higher resolution that's slower so you can resize the image.

I'm not trying to insult you when I say that this algorithm you made up is child like. It is. There are pros and cons to each hardware set. After all, this tally that you made up is your opinion as to how you should measure which hardware is better. Also, there's the fact that when you actually lost, you started making stuff up, trying to use resolution 3 times when you shouldn't even use it once, etc. Face it. You lost this one. There is no shame in saying that the hardware on the iPhone 6 Plus is just as good as the hardware on the two phone.

15. sarin.j
    Honeycomb Dec 5, 2014

sarin.j , Dec 5, 2014 :
    Because if the sensor has not changed from 5S and if according to whats found out by chipworks is true, then the fruity sensor and OPO sensor comes from the same family ie; Sony exmor. If so, then 214 is much more recent than what 5s had and hence spec wise the sensor is superior. If its 135 based then that would also explain why it can't do 4k video though the MP count is almost the same.

That article was brought up only to highlight the possibility that fruity may still be keeping the sensor from the old fruity. I am aware of the fact that OPO was not in that list. That statement was to show that in general terms what he is saying matches what I been saying in this specific comparison. "Fruity is not great specwise compared to OPO, but under practical circumstances its photo quality exceeds that of OPO". More MP is not always better, I agree. That depends on what you are comparing with. OPO against a proper DSLR. Yes, MP comparison is invalid. But with another smartphone like fruity with a sensor coming from the same family? Absolutely yes.

I have no idea why you keep beating around the same irrelevant bush.

Its not about anyone "wanting" something. Its about "can this be done or not". I have said that many times before. Its about capabilities not prefrences. You beating the same dead horse is not going to get you anywhere.

You started making up facts by saying 240 fps slowmo against 4k video. Thats when I said if thats what matters then OPO can do 4K in both formats. If your 240fps slomo is an advantage for your sensor, then ability to do DCI in 4k is an added advantage for OPO sensor. It looks like you can't stand the taste of your own medicine. You keep screaming aperture is no big deal, but yet you ignore the fact that the fruit company highlights that as a big deal. It you can't digest the fact that fruity has inferior hardware specs, then turning to personal insults and silly nitpicking is really not gonna change anything. By your obsession with winning and loosing you clearly show that you are the one dying to prove something. This alongwith other contradictory statements, your lack of understanding of certain aspects while claiming to be an expert who does comps and making claims while refusing to substantiate them only highlight your inability to conduct an intelligent and useful debate.

16. sarin.j
    Honeycomb Dec 5, 2014

sarin.j , Dec 5, 2014 :
    I will combine both post to save me some trouble typing it up.

My point is that it varies with context. If you compare a pro DSLR with OPO then yes. What you said is true. However, when you compare two smartphones with similar hardware in sensor, this becomes a valid.

Mine was on a tripod, his was part handheld and part shot with the camera resting on lamp stand on stone pillar, effectively making it stationary like a tripod. 4K video still came out better on viewing. I made my statement based on that. I have not done any professional grade testing like you people do. If I ever get to do that or at least an attempt to capture videos in different conditions and if it shows up bad, then I would gladly take my statements back.

skipping it.

I agree. My point was w.r.t way OP was trying first to make it as irrelevant and then link it up to the die size. He seem to say f2 Vs. f2.2 is no biggie while the fruit company claims f2.2 as some kind of improvement. So when fruity claims something its valid, if others do the same its irrelevant.

My knowledge is evolving and my intention is to gather more knowledge from experts by reading their analysis, opinion research etc. I admit there are many gaps in it because my practical experience is very limited as am no pro photgrapher. I went through the details of each phone, looked up what each specs mean and contain and made a point that OPO has superior specs but fails miserably in using them to create good images with stock s/w while fruity even with less spectacular specs seem to produce better images overall. What the OP did was to drag in opinions and preferences and make up arguments first stating that its invalid comparison and then irrelevant points and finally making up specs and then claiming that am counting like a child, all the while claiming that he is not trying to prove something. So if he is trying to win something, I got no issues with that.

May be its his opinion. When I said OPO has superior specs then it was my opinion. But when I say in a smartphone f2 is superior spec compared to f2.2 its a fact. When I say a six lens assembly is superior to a 5 lens one, its a fact. If he wants to debunk my opinion then he need to show me that specwise how fruity stacks up in superior way to OPO. Each spec items is meant to do something better. I am not saying if their cumulative effect will produce a better picture or not. There fruity is the clear winner. I am merely looking how many h/w features added to create a superior overall h/w spec and in that aspect fruity loses.

Read my posts from the beginning. Do you think my statement that "fruity takes better pictures overall compared to OPO" contradicts your statement?

I dont know. Apparently there was a blog post where a pro photographer did some shots with OPO on tripod in this thread. And I have seen other doing it on many reviews. Did they do it just for the review or are they serious about it, I dont know. I do occassionaly take photos with tripod not because I carry tripod with my smartphone, but I have one and i sometimes change my regular camera and use the smartphones to see how it comes out. usually with good resuts. May be I am only one of a kind.

I am not a fan of anything though I have a dislike towards the fruity. Not because of the device itself, but because of the way its priced for what they give you. So if I have to look at devices alone, then I might pick either depending on what I want.

17. TongueKey
    Froyo Dec 5, 2014

18. bl4zar_
    Honeycomb Dec 5, 2014

bl4zar_ , Dec 5, 2014 :
    In the video the camera is set to "Clear Image" mode, so every time you take a shot the phone has to do 10 photos and them mix them with some complex algorithms to create a sharper and clearer shot.
    If you set it in "Automatic" mode it will be much much faster!
    Please don't criticize just for the sake of it.

19. rwoods716
    KitKat Dec 5, 2014

rwoods716 , Dec 5, 2014 :
    Ok, if you want to include two kinds of 4K, then I'll use two kinds of 1080p. Let's do another tally, by your crazy algorithm.

Two - iPhone
    Aperture - Sensor size
    4K UHD - Slo mo 240 fps
    4K DCI - 1080p 30 fps
    Resolution - OIS
    6 lenses - Phase detection autofocus

To win a fight with a child, you have to fight like a child, right?

My point throughout this entire discussion is that neither hardware is better because each camera is better for different use cases. Saying that one is better altogether implies that one camera is better no matter who uses it and that is not the case.

20. venkatraw
    Cupcake Dec 5, 2014