OnePlus One vs OnePlus 3: worth the upgrade?

1. eobrien84
    Froyo Sep 4, 2016

eobrien84 , Sep 4, 2016 :
    I'm really interested in the OP3 but I'm wondering if it's really worth upgrading. My OPO still works well, for the most part, but has a few issues that are annoying. I like the build quality of the 3 and I like the features of OOS and H2OS.

For those that have made the upgrade, I have a few questions on how they compare.

1. How does battery life compare?
    2. How do the speakers compare?
    3. How do the cameras compare?
    4. How is your cell signal compared to the One?
    5. Any issues with GPS?

Is it worth the upgrade? Are you happy with the switch and should I do it as well? Any reason to get the Nexus 6P or Huawei Mate 8 over the OP3?

2. divinityQQ
    Honeycomb Sep 4, 2016

divinityQQ , Sep 4, 2016 :
    No, in my opinion it's not worth it spending money on phone you basically already have. OPO does everything just fine, OP3 is better version of it, but why would you want that? Unless your OPO is broken or doesn't serve it's purpose, you are just wasting your money. OP3 is a nice phone, it really is, but that doesn't justify spending money on something you don't need. But that's not what you wanted to hear, right? If you really want a new phone, then just go for it, it's beautiful and powerful, and battery life is basically on par with my 2 years old OPO, which doesn't last as long as it used to. But OP3 has dash charging, which is wicked fast.

zaphod-beeblebrox and AntMunny like this.
  3. lemonhater
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 4, 2016

lemonhater , Sep 4, 2016 :
    1. Battery life is MUCH better. I usually get 6-7h SOT with my OP3
    3. Camera is MUCH better, OPO cam is like crap now after getting the OP3 :D
    4. Haven't used my OPO in a long time but it's around the same I guess
    5. I personally don't use the GPS much so I won't comment on that

4. malidan
    Nougat Sep 4, 2016

malidan , Sep 4, 2016 :
    Upgrade hell yeah the 801 has run its course, though a champion it was.
    Any of the current Gen devices would see a major jump in performance, the real question is what are you looking for in your next device.

As for your questions I can only say from what I have observed on the forum, as I don't have a OP3

.battery comparable with the jump in CPU power.

.Speakers not as good, loud but not as clear.

.Camera I never really thought the OPO camera was that great, so a 2 year advancement should see the OP3's as an Improvement but the video recording is pants.

.Cell signal, that depends on where your at. issues have been reported but that was the same on the OPO too. So that's a suck it and see job.

.GPS, I have not heard of any issue on that point.

The Nexus 6p? All round a better device and software support is the best by far. But the OP3 has the latest and greatest and is bound to be faster despite its OS.
    Mate 8? No idea, I've never looked at it.

Have fun deciding, I guess you have a lot of videos to watch.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016

theshinybeast likes this.
  5. lostLambda
    Lollipop Sep 4, 2016

zaphod-beeblebrox and Milan34119 like this.
  6. zaphod-beeblebrox
    KitKat Sep 9, 2016

zaphod-beeblebrox , Sep 9, 2016 :
    My OPO is still going strong, and is like new. What a great phone, and great investment. Im waiting till next year if the OPO holds out. I cant see any real reason to buy the OP3. It seems like a pretty good phone but the OPO does all I personally need, and still has a great dev community. Ive currently playing with an android N rom on the OPO. My mission is to get the max smartphone, for the longest time, while staying on the edge of tech. The OPO still doing that. Maybe the OP4 if there is anything new under the smartphone sun, and the OPO gives up.

divinityQQ likes this.
  7. strafer
    Lollipop Sep 10, 2016

strafer , Sep 10, 2016 :
    My needed a phone and got my OPO, I bought the OP3.
    As always, it depends on what you want / need... but in normal life there is no reason to buy the 3.
    The camera is really better, the fingerprint sensor is nice to have but that's all. In normal use there is no other difference between both devices.

zaphod-beeblebrox likes this.