Oneplus One Wireless Charging Hack(2nd Method)

1. xavosh
    Honeycomb Nov 12, 2014

2. ethanchim10
    Jelly Bean Nov 12, 2014

3. HyperMatrix
    Cupcake Nov 21, 2014

HyperMatrix , Nov 21, 2014 :
    I posted this in another thread about the soldered method, but figure I may get a response here. So here goes...I'm having trouble with the mod. And the story begins:

750mA wireless qi receiver shows up at my door. I test it by plugging it into the micro usb port of my OnePlus, and holding the wireless receiver pad against my charger. Lights up and charges beautifully without issue. So I go about opening the OnePlus. While trying to figure out the best way to wire it in there, I decide to solder it on directly to the pins on the MicroUSB port (internally, of course). After soldering 2 wires on there, I test the phone to make sure nothing went wrong and plugging in USB cable to the PC immediately brings it up. So no issues. Then I solder the wires into the qi receiver pad. Before closing it up, I hold the wireless pad against my charger, and voila. It lights up. So I put the cover back on and set it on my charger, and I get nothing.

So at this point, I'm thinking maybe the NFC coil is interfering with it. I take the back cover off again and place the phone directly on the charger. Still getting nothing. As I come to lift the phone, I see the charge light flash for a second. So I do some testing. With the pad on the charger, it works fine. With the pad sticking to the inside of the back cover, placed on the charger, it works fine. But as soon as the distance between the receiver and the phone/phone battery is reduced, charging is interrupted. For example...I'll hold the pad against the charger, while the phone is held at a 40 degree angle and it will charge. As I move the phone closer to the charging pad by going to, let's say, a 70 degree angle, charging cuts off.

So...proximity to the phone or phone battery is preventing the charging pad from working....with or without the back cover on. I have no idea what could be causing this. At first I had just used the existing flat cable that came with the qi receiver to solder it in place. Thinking that maybe there was a problem with that cable, considering how thin it was, I decided to redo the wiring with proper cables. Same problem still exists. So at this point...I have no idea what to do because I have no idea what could be causing it.

Any input would be appreciated.

4. tEf0o
    Jelly Bean Nov 22, 2014

tEf0o , Nov 22, 2014 :
    There is a circut check in the qi.
    Sounds like its triggering a fault.

5. HyperMatrix
    Cupcake Nov 22, 2014

HyperMatrix , Nov 22, 2014 :
    Any idea why it would trigger a fault based on proximity to the phone/phone battery?

6. tEf0o
    Jelly Bean Nov 22, 2014

tEf0o , Nov 22, 2014 :
    Cant have magnets or metal around where the coil is(to put it simply)
    On my black i use charge tabs, were speakers are, get a solid 2amps charge with it in my "home made doc"
    This was my test setup, looks diffrent now.
    tmp_18459-20140901_194614-1311822167.jpg
    My goal was not relly qi, rather onehanded dock charge, like old mobile's before the micro usb.

I could verify your issues.
    Looking at g3 qi coil it is placed diffrently in the backcover.

7. Aaahh
    Marshmallow Nov 22, 2014

8. HyperMatrix
    Cupcake Nov 22, 2014

Hmm. So do you think covering the back with anti-magnetic tape before placing the qi coil would work? Or is it too close and too sensitive for that to work?

9. tEf0o
    Jelly Bean Nov 22, 2014

tEf0o , Nov 22, 2014 :
    Put a case on opo, tejp coil on outside of case, look for sweet spot were you get most current.
    file:///sys/class/power_supply/battery/current_now
    In browser, gets value on every loading.

10. HyperMatrix
    Cupcake Nov 22, 2014

I was really hoping to not have to use a case. They add too much bulk. I don't use any screen protectors/cases for that reason. If I can't fix this, I'll just have to hope the OnePlus Two will have QI built in. Fortunately this phone has amazing battery life so doesn't need to be charged that often anyway. Especially with Power Saver CPU profile. I get an average of 2 days of use out of it as is.