OnePlus One would you buy again?

1. manofthem Gingerbread Nov 20, 2014

manofthem, Nov 20, 2014 :
    Absolutely I'd buy again. I've already told everyone I know (all 3 people) about how awesome this phone is and that they should grab it. :D

Additionally I find it funny that when I show my phone to Apple users, they all think it's the iPhone 6 Plus. Lousy ;)

elshaman likes this.
  2. lobotomiser Eclair Nov 20, 2014

lobotomiser, Nov 20, 2014 :
    From the experience I had, I would buy again... Got very lucky landed an invite less than 24 hours after registering and phone arrived quickly, no issues.

From the experience my mum had, I would not buy again! She preordered, I found her an invite, it wouldn't apply to let her skip the queue... No response from OPO on the ticket we raised in over 9 days (however phone arrived now despite never getting any notification or tracking info).

We both love our phones and I wouldn't want to switch it... My confidence in receiving customer service/support isn't high though! Hopefully that will improve with time, as the device is awesome.

elshaman likes this.
  3. Cool5256018 Cupcake Nov 20, 2014

Cool5256018, Nov 20, 2014 :
    From my experience No, Bought 2, 1+1. The touch screen response time is not so great(Not as smooth as other phones).
    Way too much bugs, yellow tint on the bottom on both of the phone, then unresponsive screen, then battery issue...
    sold the phones and Upgraded to iphone 6+, never look back.

racerx67 likes this.
  4. kiralz0mg Froyo Nov 20, 2014

elshaman likes this.
  5. diegoval Cupcake Nov 20, 2014

6. g11b19 Gingerbread Nov 20, 2014

g11b19, Nov 20, 2014 :
    YES YES YES!!!!!

elshaman and rx7pope like this.
  7. rx7pope Cupcake Nov 20, 2014

rx7pope, Nov 20, 2014 :

8. rjwalsh10 Honeycomb Nov 20, 2014

supergnop and elshaman like this.
  9. jimmyjazz Gingerbread Nov 20, 2014

jimmyjazz, Nov 20, 2014 :
    Definitely YES. I've had very few problems-- love the screen size and CM12.

I'm really looking forward to op2, and so is my 12 year old who stands to inherit my opo...

elshaman likes this.
  10. James lewis Froyo Nov 20, 2014

elshaman likes this.
  11. darklajid Donut Nov 20, 2014

darklajid, Nov 20, 2014 :
    Yes. I would buy it again.

My issues were/are

1) (highly annoying) My headphone socket is busted. No idea what happened here (the phone never fell down or anything - I have teeny tiny display scratches from pocket usage/the lack of a screen protector, but it definitely never left pocket or hand). It looks like a 'dent' at the back of the phone, at the headphone socket. That wouldn't be too much of a problem if it wouldn't change the functionality. It does.
    Headphones don't work, period. Inserting headphones anyway leads to a weird state where the headphones don't work, but the internal speaker (not the 'speaker' speakers at the bottom, I'm talking about the 'top of the display' speaker) is muted. This can only be resolved by repeated reboots with or without the headphones.

2) (solved) Touchscreen issues. I had _quite_ a lot of those. Especially pinch/zoom was broken (videos are available elsewhere, basically the 'as soon as the second touchpoint is created, the whole thing breaks' problem). One of the last OTAs solved it and before that I stumbled upon a workaround that made this bearable already - something that used /sys/* to run a 'test' or calibration that fixed the touchscreen for a while.

3) The volume rocker is crap. It's cheap. It feels like it's falling off and doesn't do the rest of the device justice.

The phone is amazing. It is beautiful, fast. I love the CM support. The camera is - while not perfect - more than good enough for me. It sounds okay for a phone and is quite loud.
    The price is unbeatable so far.

They solved 2) and 3) is bearable. I'd argue that 1) shouldn't be possible (I'm taking care of my gadgets and this is not a failure mode I've seen before, or even considered possible), but I understand that it is hard to blame someone else if I don't even have the slightest clue how this happened in the first place.

12. Starryknight24 Honeycomb Nov 20, 2014

elshaman likes this.
  13. macem29 Jelly Bean Nov 20, 2014

macem29, Nov 20, 2014 :
    If for some reason I needed a new device in the next few months yes. I'd by another. If its say a year out. No. It would almost certainly be something else.

14. fgaurano Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 21, 2014

fgaurano, Nov 21, 2014 :
    I would buy OP2, I just hope the production of units won't be rushed to avoid yellow banding and just hope the bugs won't be that severe. :)

15. racerx67 Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 21, 2014

racerx67, Nov 21, 2014 :
    Basher....LOL..... Ok.. I use my phone for work and use the camera a lot....So here we go..
    Initially it was good.... Then......

Screen calibration issues came to light when I would take a photo and edit it to look great on the phone and when I uploaded it then it would look awful and washed out.... Worse if I didnt edit the image before uploading. I send updates to customers almost daily of my work so I usually snap and email or message via the phone and carry on working when I get a response.. I have no computer at work as it would just blow up with carbon fibre dust and stray carbon fibres.. It lost me a days work and a £200 booking for a special oven I had booked time and space in..

Battery life was awful with an average of 9 hours life and again due to the carbon I cannot charge my phone at work in the workshop. Slow charging too with a full charge being up to about 7 hours.

The camera has poor metering so it needs perfect light for a good photo and lots of noise in the images..

After updates the screen calibration issue got worse and rebooting at random would affect phone calls and cut me off at random sometimes..

WiFi would grey out at times too so I then needed to reboot the phone..

I am no Phone number 2 and now it seems this one is starting to go down the pan too... I finally got a phone which was OK, not great but OK, and last night the battery lost over 50% of its charge while I was asleep. I usually leave the phone on overnight and the first 1+ I had to turn it off but the second phone was OK with up to 25 hours of life. But last night it just lost power fast even though I closed apps before I went to bed.. If the rot has started again this 1+ will be -1 owner and binned.. No third chances as I need a phone I can rely on for work.

Before anyone wise cracks about using a proper camera I cannot risk a camera at work and have no way to just photo and send quickly like with a phone and the iPhone I had before was great for work like that. Images do not need to be professional quality but do need to be realistic colours.

The first one was garbage and I got rid fast.. This one seems to be getting worse so I am going to stick with it for a little longer but if it fcuks up it is gone.. I will never ever buy a 1+ product again after this crap with possibly 2 phones now...

So am I a basher??? I have had the best part of £500 worth of 1+ phones in the past 3 months with One Plus not replacing them although I was lucky I got given my second phone by a journalist friend who actually took my first one off me... I would never have paid for the second phone but as it was given to me I gave 1+ a second chance... But there will be no 3rd chances...

16. stephenlotus KitKat Nov 21, 2014

BecauseQuantum likes this.
  17. JuanL KitKat Nov 21, 2014

JuanL, Nov 21, 2014 :
    A million times... I mean this whole thing is totally worth those many tries...

18. StinkySocky Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 21, 2014

StinkySocky, Nov 21, 2014 :
    Nexus 6 is looking interesting, but it's also double the price. I think I'll stick with my One.

elshaman likes this.
  19. sinan1sinan Donut Nov 21, 2014

sinan1sinan, Nov 21, 2014 :
    i ve been using opo about 4 months.no issues.amazing battery life and performance. Just dissapointed about style swap covers.

elshaman likes this.
  20. Crisisx1 Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 21, 2014

Crisisx1, Nov 21, 2014 :
    Why would I buy it again if I already have it?

The question is would I buy a OnePlus 2 when it comes out...hell yes as long as they don't jack up their prices to 650 and 700 dollars like Google did with the nexus 6 ( nexus 4 and 5 were 300 and 350 dollars)

peter.gharib and elshaman like this.