OnePlus: Our Plan for 100 Sweet Moments

1. Gary C. OxygenOS Operations Staff Member Dec 7, 2018

Gary C., Dec 7, 2018 :
    With new apps springing up and constantly raising people’s expectations, we’re always thinking about new user needs and what else needs to be improved. Chatting over coffee one afternoon, we discussed whether we’ve neglected a key nature of the mobile phone. As a must-have for everyday life, a mobile phone should be a companion for people wherever and whenever.

Then the word “warmth” came to us.

OnePlus product experiences should not be ice-cold and mechanical, but as if our devices were built by actual humans for other human beings. With this in mind, we embarked on a plan codenamed "100 Sweet Moments", where we would introduce 100 heartwarming elements in our products. This plan got off to a rough start and we had to spend time getting everyone on our team on board. After hours of open and frank discussion, which was only possible due to our great company culture, we came to an agreement on how to carry out 100 Sweet Moments.

We’d love to share our rationale behind a few of these elements.

Community Invitation Letter

community invitation letter.jpeg
    photo by @Falk Thieme

When you unbox theOnePlus 6T, there's a handwritten invitation letter in the box.
    Each of our products is made through the effort of every employee and made possible by our community. Pete believes that a thank-you letter is required to express gratitude to our closest partners and that it must be delivered along with the device to the user, like the finishing touch to a senior project. The handwritten letter may be a simple gesture, but it shows the gratitude we feel. If you haven’t already, please join the community and let us communicate as friends!​

Yoga Lady

yogalady.png

It can be frustrating when you call someone and there’s no answer. Perhaps you just hang up and try again later. Is it possible that you’ve caught them in the middle of something? Perhaps your friend might be swimming, jogging or doing yoga. We added an imaginative touch to our UI design, so that you’re not just left with a beeping sound. Check the animation here.
    Flight Mode

When we travel by plane, we always turn on flight mode for safety purposes. Flight mode used to be just a button, but we thought about how significant flying is - it represents a journey, whether it be an adventurous solo trip or a sweet family vacation. We added an animation to depict your journey. Since then, the flight mode has been endued with life.

airplane mode.gif

100 Sweet Moments were created with the vision to add creative and fun elements to basic phone features, to add heartwarming touches and make your daily device experience a more intimate one.

The sweetest success of our plan will be when adding human elements to our product experiences is intuitive to the mind of every product manager, designer and engineer on our team.100 Sweet Moments is our first attempt to add a human element to the user interface you use every day. We are open to discussion and would love to hear what you would like to see more of.

Can you find other sweet moments on your phone? Feel free to share what you find in the comments below.

2. Moin2200 Jelly Bean Dec 7, 2018

3. B_Wrath KitKat Dec 7, 2018

B_Wrath, Dec 7, 2018 :
    Hi @Gary C.
    This 100 sweet moments is an excellent initiative. There are many palces like the calculator app, hidden spaces which makes this phone not be monotonous. I simply love them.
    But on the other hand, this human touches should not compromise the core ideology of Oxygen OS. Being clean and bloat free. As long as they don't bog down the OS, I'm completely fine with them:)

afsal_ys, ofi90, AlTeX and 15 others like this.
  4. G_Manav_Bansal Froyo Dec 7, 2018

5. GopalB. Marshmallow Dec 7, 2018

GopalB., Dec 7, 2018 :
    It's in English... I know... :p

6. Sujknair Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 7, 2018

Sujknair, Dec 7, 2018 :
    Cue the overheating related posts being a "warmth" feature. ;-)

My favourite feature as of yet still remains the editable message at the top of the shelf. Simple, yet personal.

Although the calculator easter egg was memorable, i got rid of it simply because 2 calculator apps was unnecessary, and google calc had more features at the time.

7. Moin2200 Jelly Bean Dec 7, 2018

Moin2200, Dec 7, 2018 :
    He is a member of the oxygenos team. The system that oneplus is running.

He is highlighting some of the nice little touches they've made to the system and some animations they thought users would enjoy.

8. Sharry7 Honeycomb Dec 7, 2018

Sharry7, Dec 7, 2018 :
    Calculator? Where?

SammySheikh6T and n00blit like this.
  9. JalananFreak Gingerbread Dec 7, 2018

afsal_ys, ofi90, Franck Gut. and 9 others like this.
  10. Sharry7 Honeycomb Dec 7, 2018

Franck Gut. and MarcusDelaere like this.
  11. JalananFreak Gingerbread Dec 7, 2018

12. JelleZon KitKat Dec 7, 2018

13. luxuskamel KitKat Dec 7, 2018

luxuskamel, Dec 7, 2018 :
    I see this is a trend. Some apps have similar images so it's fine even though I didn't like the idea on the beginning

14. Anvesh S95 Eclair Dec 7, 2018

Franck Gut. and buntycubal like this.
  15. Anvesh S95 Eclair Dec 7, 2018

Tony JK, Franck Gut., wsadlxx and 2 others like this.
  16. Funk Wizard Lollipop Moderator Dec 7, 2018

Funk Wizard, Dec 7, 2018 :
    Really like the Airplane mode animation all these netiquettes add up to make Oxygen OS one of the best Android OEM Software. Keep up the good work :)

17. TonioLA Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 7, 2018

TonioLA, Dec 7, 2018 :
    OnePlus 6 do not have this animation. it looks cool in the thread

tushar__mittal likes this.
  18. iNtEnSePL KitKat Dec 7, 2018

iNtEnSePL, Dec 7, 2018 :
    My vote for a moment is something that happens everywhere around us, right now, here, on the community forum.
    Although not entirely related to the phone itself, or it's feature, it shows how the people-community-phone mix can make someone smile. Simply smile, be amazed, thankful or bring any other positive feeling. That is way more important than any software feature, hardware feature.

It's hard to describe, so I would like to share such a moment below as a screenshot. One small moment, two people, a few letters, one + emotion.

upload_2018-12-7_9-6-50.png

I hope you get what I mean.

Cadalope, Bouncer71, Dedz.mad and 7 others like this.
  19. YASHPLUSONE. Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 7, 2018

YASHPLUSONE., Dec 7, 2018 :
    the very small things that you pay attention to makes the user experience, great!
    although it does not have any functionality it is a good thing to have. it's a sweet moment indeed!
    thanks [e]1f60a[/e]

buntycubal likes this.
  20. agoinfly Lollipop Dec 7, 2018

agoinfly, Dec 7, 2018 :
    Well, I like the Flight Mode animation, but honestly, about the phone app animation thing , I'd rather leave it optional ;)
    Please remember to offer dark/black notifications and to clean a bit the elephantine OxygenOS :rolleyes:

ofi90, TheAyushJain and buntycubal like this.