OnePlus Patents Bezel Selfie Camera

1. Sylvester.David
    Gingerbread Feb 11, 2021

Sylvester.David , Feb 11, 2021 :
    OnePlus had recently patented a smartphone design with a much needed selfie camera solution.

OnePlus-Bezel-Seflie-Camera-Smartphone-Design-Patent.png

In the mid-2020 OnePlus Technology (Shenzhen) Co. Ltd. filed a patent with the WIPO (World Intellectual Property Office) titled ‘display apparatus’ which was recently approved and published on February 4, 2021.

According to the patent documentation, the phone design includes the front-facing camera on the top thin bezel. Hence, users can have full view of their display without any notch, punch hole or cutouts.

Also the document notes that this solution is inexpensive than the conventional notches and punch hole in the display panel. Since the production costs are low, it could be a better alternative to the existing conventional selfie cameras.

What do you think? Can this be the future of Selfie Cameras?
    Can this take on the unstable under display cameras?

2. Sylvester.David
    Gingerbread Feb 11, 2021

3. Yash Pratap Singh.
    Jelly Bean Feb 11, 2021

Yash Pratap Singh. , Feb 11, 2021 :
    Hmm..interesting. Though it will be more prone to damages as its towards the edge, but still, I would love to see this in upcoming OnePlus phones. A clean screen experience without the slow pop up camera will be good.
    (It is kinda like a laptop camera placement 😂)

4. Sylvester.David
    Gingerbread Feb 11, 2021

Sylvester.David , Feb 11, 2021 :
    Also since it's close to the ear speaker the camera would prone to get smeared with dirt and end up having dirty lens warning often!

5. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Feb 11, 2021

dsmonteiro , Feb 11, 2021 :
    This is definitely an interesting thread, one I'm sure many people will be keen on participating! Thanks for the tag, I just pinned it and pushed it to recommended to have more visibility.

Feel free to PM in the future if you create any threads you feel like others will enjoy (tags are easier to miss).

6. SRD.
    KitKat Feb 11, 2021

SRD. , via OnePlus 7T , Feb 11, 2021 :
    More is the display area.
    The thought process must be in that direction "A high Screen to body ratio"
    I don't mind this design at all,Unless the sensor size is not less.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021

7. SJBoss
    Lollipop Feb 11, 2021

8. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert Feb 11, 2021

Cheetosdust , Feb 11, 2021 :
    Notches never bothered me that much, but I am using a OnePlus 7 Pro and the look of a screen without any interruptions is undeniably charming.

Perhaps this is an intermediate step between what we have on the OnePlus 8T and a camera under the screen. :)

9. SandeshChinchapur
    Jelly Bean Feb 11, 2021

10. Tobikage
    Nougat Feb 11, 2021

Tobikage , Feb 11, 2021 :
    How dare you not be excited by this tremendous achievement !

Caomhin, MosheG1, asishgrwl and 5 others like this.
  11. McJader
    Lollipop Feb 11, 2021

12. dsmonteiro

Based on some of the shots I've seen from under-display cameras, I do think we might need an intermediate step indeed. The tech doesn't seem anywhere near prime-time ready, especially in this day and age, where the selfie is king and selfie video (e.g. for vlogging) becomes more and more relevant.

Still, if you look at the current phones, there isn't much space to house a camera in the top bezel so I'm definitely curious to see if this is a patent that can take shape and become a product.

superplus, RoyDecoy, Caomhin and 13 others like this.
  13. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert Feb 11, 2021

Cheetosdust , Feb 11, 2021 :
    They look terrible. Someone had to be first and ZTE managed to do exactly that: they proved it could be done while earning free press and a few euros from the tech enthusiasts who want to be first in line for everything. The rest of the device is uninspired and the photos are terrible. Congratulations, I guess.

Samsung, Apple and even OnePlus and Xiaomi could never release a product like that, the bravery would soon be replaced with backlash. Look, I do believe that's the future and I do believe Samsung, for example, is going to release a capable product. Just look at the Royole FlexPai and the Galaxy Z Fold 2.

Mon frère, we need to talk about the concept of the OnePlus Concept phones, hehe. This tech is a perfect candidate for late 2021 or early 2022. :D

superplus, VitalieS, Caomhin and 8 others like this.
  14. dsmonteiro

I'm not as optimistic. It may prove to be "good enough" for authentication purposes soon (after all, we already use this technology in fingerprint sensors), but not for photos people expect to use and share. And while technology keeps improving, you'll never have an AMOLED display that's truly transparent.

15. Antonio_Luis
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 11, 2021

16. SJBoss
    Lollipop Feb 11, 2021

SJBoss , Feb 11, 2021 :
    ikr! Why no one else think of that before? :rolleyes:
    Hey that sounds familiar... :rolleyes: reminds me of a certain brand with a numerical logo.

asishgrwl and McJader like this.
  17. AlienEye
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Feb 11, 2021

AlienEye , Feb 11, 2021 :
    Not a fan!!! I think sensor size will reduce , so eventually not good looking photos.

18. Ferdinand Kulman
    Froyo Feb 11, 2021

19. Codein_Linctus
    Froyo Feb 11, 2021

Tobikage likes this.
  20. tilak_gr.stark
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 11, 2021

tilak_gr.stark , Feb 11, 2021 :
    Seem so Intriguing. With the reduced size and No more kidney selling Under display Invisible camera tech adoption. This seem cool.

G.Madhusudhan and asishgrwl like this.