OnePlus Pay is one trademark closer to India. Are you interested?

1. sumitMZ007
    Jelly Bean Apr 6, 2021

Bhatsaurabh07 likes this.
  2. Pr1sleyS
    Gingerbread Apr 6, 2021

Pr1sleyS , via OnePlus 6 , Apr 6, 2021 :
    Considering the current issues of Chinese apps getting banned it would be really difficult for OnePlus to penetrate even if it has a loyal fanbase in india
    Hope OnePlus gets every details covered before rolling out in indian market ✌️

3. ad.7997
    Gingerbread Apr 6, 2021

ad.7997 , Apr 6, 2021 :
    I don't think this is a smart choice. Indian market is flooded with established UPI apps like GPay, Paytm, Phonepe etc. Also, OnePlus would have to struggle a lot to gain the trust of Indians. Let's not forget that despite being the most popular and most used app, Whatsapp Pay wasn't a success for the sole reason that it had ties with Facebook. If you think about it, WhatsApp Pay could have been a game changer had Facebook not have a shady scene. Moreover, we can't ignore the fact that a majority of Indians still have an anti-China sentiment for dumb reasons. Hate to say it, but it is what it is.

4. Dhruv Kashyap
    Jelly Bean Apr 6, 2021

Dhruv Kashyap , via OnePlus 8T , Apr 6, 2021 :
    Thanks for the thread. Have been waiting forever for the launch of OnePlus Pay.

As for the accomodation of OnePlus Pay, I personally am quite interested in the Wallet service by OnePlus.
    On the other hand, it will be quite a difficult fight to stand in the present indian market of Digital Payments.

I expect it to be Most secured, as it is among the main concerns of everyone.

Cheetosdust likes this.
  5. Naveen.one
    Cupcake Apr 6, 2021

6. ad.7997
    Gingerbread Apr 6, 2021

ad.7997 , Apr 6, 2021 :
    They will give lucrative cashbacks, vouchers and much more...only for the first few months... Still, it's gonna be a damn rocky path for OnePlus Pay! Look at Mi Pay for instance. I don't know what tech it uses but I have never seen any person use Mi Pay.

7. Vivekk3
    Cupcake Apr 6, 2021

Vivekk3 , via OnePlus Community App , Apr 6, 2021 :
    The competition is huge! For a payment application to be successful in india I feel that User Ease of use, Feasibility of different use places and payment offers are most important. Also just launching it for OnePlus mobiles only won't do great business too. Just like Samsung pay won't get huge success.

9. Vivekk3
    Cupcake Apr 6, 2021

Vivekk3 , via OnePlus Community App , Apr 6, 2021 :
    Indian payment service doesn't need another contender. It needs innovator. The payment system need a big change for turning digital payment as common as cash. Is ghere such innovation behind scree @onelplus

10. SJBoss
    Lollipop Apr 6, 2021

SJBoss , Apr 6, 2021 :
    Stuck Payments? Calling CS every now and then? And everyone knows how it goes from there :rolleyes: also,

OnePlus can only dream of selling as much devices as Samsung (@sfomin yes, samsung is still the most trusted brand in India) and Xiaomi in India. And both Mi pay and Samsung pay are pre-installed on indian varients from both OEMs where are they? Also

Yes India is where OnePlus sells most number of devices but when it comes to marketshare they come under "others" doesn't even make it to top 5 :rolleyes: ads like "most selling premium smartphone in India" are just like those "New York Times bestsellers" titles, bestsellers, yes. but in a category no one ever heard of.

If you'd take a walk around anywhere in India you'll see 100 (possibly more) people with a latest galaxy S or iPhone for each "Premium" OnePlus user who think he escaped the Matrix :rolleyes:

B k, Drasm19, Cheetosdust and 8 others like this.
  11. vinodvijayan
    Honeycomb Apr 6, 2021

12. Navdeep_Malik
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus TV U1S Apr 6, 2021

13. sfomin
    Nougat Apr 6, 2021

sfomin , Apr 6, 2021 :
    but how do they satisfy their call recording fetish with a samsung?! :rolleyes:

SJBoss likes this.
  14. Javed4oneplus , via OnePlus 8T Aquamarine Green , Apr 6, 2021 :
    We have been using Google pay, Phone pay and Paytm, we can definitely give a try to OnePlus pay. OnePlus has developed own identity in terms of flagship phone. Certainly it will bring something unique which is not rolled out by other wallet. My vote will be yes to Oneplus pay.

15. Drasm19
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 6, 2021

Drasm19 , Apr 6, 2021 :
    Only three Major hurdles to cross:

Trust:

Everyone in India knows that Oneplus is a Chinese brand. There's been a rising wave of distrust against Chinese products and services after the Galwan Valley Clash, it even rocked Chinese backed players like Paytm and flipkart, both of them had a sizeable share in online payment and related services back then.

Most people rely purely on either Phonepe, Paytm or Google pay for online transactions in urban India now.
    I don't think they'll be eager to share their financial records with another third party player like OnePlus.

Of course, OnePlus can woo them with irresistible deals and offers, but the more privacy oriented users are bound to mistrust them.

If Oneplus plans on establishing this payment system only across its own line of devices and accessories, it won't be able to garner the attention and relevance that it aims to generate in a vast country like India, not to mention, it will also fail to make any significant headway among users who don't own/use Oneplus devices.

Ease of use:

All three of the Major players of online transaction in india have cluttered and obnoxious UI. OnePlus will need to make itself stand apart from the pack. This is easier said than done.

Competing against the likes of Google pay and Amazon pay who are armed with unending resources at their disposal, looks like a tough uphill battle for OnePlus.

I don't have access to OnePlus records to make this claim, but it is my personal observation that Red Cable Club is not a massive success, atleast in India.
    I'm yet to meet a Oneplus user who has spent money on Red cable club (Pro/Life) membership.

Having said that, Red cable club and OnePlus Pay are inherently different services, Usually, customers make OnePlus account for ease of device use and end up getting Red cable club membership as a complimentary subscription.
    They aren't likely to move on to OnePlus Pay voluntarily as there are other well established platforms giving a more robust user experience, something that Oneplus can't possibly match from day one.

In short, it'll be a Himalayan blunder to think that Red Cable Club membership can translate to OnePlus Pay getting an active user base in real world, solely based on existing framework.

Security:

Last but not the least, OnePlus isn't really known for its security prowess. Oneplus official website has been hacked and attacked multiple times in the past, costing a lot of customers their hard earned money and privacy.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/19/...-security-breach-investigation-40000-affected

If Oneplus intends to continue with the same balmy security measures that they are currently delivering to their older flagships ( Delayed monthly security patches and buggy unstable OS), it doesn't look very promising for OnePlus.
    If there's another data breach, say in OnePlus pay, the damage will not be only restricted to their online payment dreams, it will inadvertently creep into the brand value and product sales.

The reason why people trust Apple pay and Samsung pay is not simply because they are popular smartphone brands, it's because their payment gateways are secure and transactions are protected. They have also stood the test of time.

If Oneplus is mistaken that they are in that league, then it has already lost the competition, even before entering in it.

P.S: No, Thankyou OnePlus! Hard pass.

Always_Has_Been_Astronauts_Meme_Template.jpg

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021

B k, SobinZz, Cheetosdust and 5 others like this.
  16. SJBoss
    Lollipop Apr 6, 2021

SJBoss , Apr 6, 2021 :
    Maybe Samsung does provide call recording in Indian variants?

sfomin likes this.
  17. vikarshaikh18
    Honeycomb Apr 6, 2021

vikarshaikh18 , via OnePlus 8T , Apr 6, 2021 :
    True not interested.

18. sfomin
    Nougat Apr 6, 2021

sfomin , Apr 6, 2021 :
    thats nasty :rolleyes:

SJBoss likes this.
  19. SJBoss
    Lollipop Apr 6, 2021

SJBoss , Apr 6, 2021 :
    Just a wild guess though 🤷‍♂️

sfomin likes this.
  20. hbk1402
    Jelly Bean Apr 6, 2021

hbk1402 , Apr 6, 2021 :
    @Cheetosdust, Wishing OnePlus money all the best on the new journey and I believe it is definitely going make a big impact in the Market!

Cheetosdust likes this.