OnePlus Product Awards - Read the Camera Team's Nomination

1. Jimmy Z. OxygenOS PM Staff Member Dec 11, 2018

Jimmy Z., Dec 11, 2018 :
    forum-camera-2.png

Nightscape is our pick because it’s a feature that represents the thought processes behind the OnePlus camera very well. Night scenes have always been hard for our users to shoot. Solving this pain point was the biggest motivation for us to develop Nightscape. We want our users to take pictures of the great things they encounter with ease. All our thoughts and efforts as team revolve around this theme - how to make it easy for users to take good photos.

So far, only a handful of mobile device cameras can deliver good night scenes. In this sense, Nightscape adds to a refreshing camera experience for smartphone users. They don’t need to worry about insufficient exposure or too much noise. Thus, the value of this feature is not comparable to any other camera feature we’ve worked on.

On a technical level, Nightscape is also memorable for us because it pushed us to new levels in our development techniques. With night scenes, there are countless unfavorable factors such as cluttered lights, complex environments etc. We had to overcome a web of problems one by one, by continuously optimizing algorithms for exposure, anti-shake, and multi-frame synthesis. If you want to read some stories we sharedabout the development of Nightscape, see @Gary C. ’s post [HERE]. Technical difficulty was indeed unprecedented.

Debugging night scenes was actually a painful process. Every day, we need to repeat the process of “shooting proofs – analyzing problems – optimizing effects”. Our work often ran late into the night. Special thanks to Becker, our algorithm engineer and Osborn, our testing engineer for their hard work.

2. Ruby G. NA Community Manager Staff Member Dec 11, 2018

3. GopalB. Marshmallow Dec 11, 2018

GopalB., Dec 11, 2018 :
    This is great...
    And after looking at the reviews by all the 6T testers, we do know that NightScape is a nice add on feature...
    But let previous phone owners enjoy such features as well... :(

4. G_plusone Lollipop Dec 11, 2018

G_plusone, Dec 11, 2018 :
    Poor Cheeseburger :p

5. rameshshreyas Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 11, 2018

Ravi BINAVAT and G_plusone like this.
  6. GopalB. Marshmallow Dec 11, 2018

7. Ruby G. NA Community Manager Staff Member Dec 11, 2018

Ruby G., Dec 11, 2018 :
    I don't know what cheeseburger actually means, just thought it was a cute nickname hehe.

8. GopalB. Marshmallow Dec 11, 2018

GopalB., Dec 11, 2018 :
    Don't let carl read this post... :p

9. JalananFreak Gingerbread Dec 11, 2018

JalananFreak, Dec 11, 2018 :
    Is there gonna be future release into 5T ?

The hardware is almost the same as 6/6T right?
    cause im really into this nightscape.

thanks !

10. G_plusone Lollipop Dec 11, 2018

G_plusone, Dec 11, 2018 :
    She's Trolling maybe o_O.
    :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018

11. B_Wrath Lollipop Dec 11, 2018

B_Wrath, Dec 11, 2018 :
    The nightscape might be the hardest feature you rolled out, I'm not going to argue that.
    But to be honest, for me, the best feature in the camera is the pro mode! The range it has, I think very few OEMs provide it. It let's me use the camera to it's full potential.

Ravi BINAVAT, 3FFA and Fidda like this.
  12. 3FFA Donut Dec 11, 2018

3FFA, Dec 11, 2018 :
    Nightscape is still far from perfect. I've seen the ghosts of your issues with it. (See middle right of the photo below)

Meanwhile, Pro Mode lets us get photos just right. I feel like Nightscape is really meant for times when you just want to see something in a dark room. Not when you want a great photo worth sharing.. well, unless ghosts or overly bright lights is your thing.
    [​IMG]
    Photo by Kawaiitato#1337 on the OnePlus Discord.

Ravi BINAVAT and maarten_lisboa like this.
  13. MikeMp Honeycomb Dec 11, 2018

MikeMp, Dec 11, 2018 :
    So the team is proud of the OnePlus camera!

That's nice to hear.

The camera is really supper and amazingly good.

It's nice to read that OnePlus team takes pride in their work in the camera department.

Bravo team.

Never Settle

My goodness! Wonders shall never end.

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  14. DARTH 007 KitKat Dec 11, 2018

DARTH 007, Dec 11, 2018 :
    whattt...
    good feature.
    a proper nightscape shot need a tripod.
    so stop glorifying it OnePlus.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  15. otto2 KitKat Dec 11, 2018

otto2, Dec 11, 2018 :
    Yes, Indeed. Your Nightscape Mode is getting better. Please Don t stop working on it, there 's still room for improvement. Personally I like your approach more than Google s, Nightscape pictures by Oneplus are looking more realistic and less synthetic. Greetings to Becker too, appreciate your hard work.

Ravi BINAVAT and Ruby G. like this.
  16. Snoezz Cupcake Dec 11, 2018

Snoezz, Dec 11, 2018 :
    Nightscape is realy awesome, i love the feature on my phone... however its hard to make a picture thats not blurred

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  17. Starcommander Honeycomb Dec 13, 2018

Starcommander, Dec 13, 2018 :
    Caution : 5t users will be commenting soon.
    To be honest I am not unhappy with nightscape. Its a new feature. Its not perfect but also consider that its initial build. Over the time it will improve. May be some day, companies will ditch the led flash light:tearsofjoy:

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  18. 3FFA Donut Dec 14, 2018

3FFA, Dec 14, 2018 :
    Don't give them ideas!! Knowing them, they just might do it!

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  19. Starcommander Honeycomb Dec 14, 2018

Starcommander, Dec 14, 2018 :
    Lol [e]1f602[/e]

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  20. R1543364461970 Cupcake Dec 15, 2018

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.