OnePlus Product Awards - Read the Industrial Design Team's Nomination

1. Ryan R. ID Design Staff Member Dec 17, 2018

Ryan R., Dec 17, 2018 :
    forum-Industrial Design-2.png

For our nomination, our team would like to talk about both the S Texture and AG Glass. We believe once we share the development story of these two ID features, you will understand why.

The OnePlus 6 is our first model to use 3D glass for the back of the phone, but several manufacturers on the market had already studied this area, at a much earlier stage. (We did a pre-study a 3D glass back cover when working on the OnePlus 5. However, after considering the cost and our quality standards, we chose a different direction.) Compared with those manufacturers, we entered the market relatively late.

When working on the OnePlus 6, we kept thinking about how to catch up or how to make our product as good as those produced by Samsung and Huawei (Samsung is the first company to use a 3D glass back cover and Huawei is the second). After many conversations with Pete and internal brainstorming, the ID department came up with the idea that we should try to be different. The glass used in all mobile phones on the market is shiny or reflective.

What if we used frosted glass instead? This solution also addressed the issue of fingerprints.So we started to get in touch with several suppliers to learn more. Further research revealed that anti-glare (AG) glass or frosted glass is a common product. However, there are several issues with using this type of glass. First, how could we achieve dimensional accuracy for mobile phones when using this kind of glass, especially 3D glass? Second, how much frosting should the glass use to seem elegant and delicate?

After analyzing and pinpointing these issues, we started to explore ways to achieve an anti-glare effect for 3D glass. Since no manufacturer has achieved an anti-glare effect for 3D glass after completing the heat bending process, we tried several different methods. There are five parameters that will affect the glass's anti-glaring effects in different ways. We have probably tried more than 30 combinations of parameters and kept stacking layers until we achieved the best anti-glaring results.

In addition, we looked for the best combination of layers. This was also the first time that we used layers and there were many things that we didn't really understand. We tried a lot of textures to find the one that best matched the OnePlus style. After a period of designing and testing, we realized that complex and dazzling textures were not a good match for the style of our OnePlus products. We needed to find a texture that is simple and elegant, with a high-tech feel. After clarifying what we wanted, we made a lot of attempts and finally worked out the initial S texture. However, in the beginning, the S texture was not as dynamic as the current design and we had to optimize it in many different ways. We tried about 16 sets of molds in total and finally decided on the S texture that will be used for mass production.

The main reason we went with the S texture is because it is more recognizable and appears differently when light comes in at different angles. In particular, the upper part of the product with the S texture can appear as two c-type patterns at certain angles, giving people a strong high-tech feel with the combined or separate patterns. Our mass-produced black anti-glare glass feels warm and smooth like jade. Under normal lighting, it looks calm. When exposed to direct sunlight, the dynamics of its light and shadows change as if it is flowing. When working on the 6T, we developed a black-purple model which was a change based on the previous development. Manufacturing a black-purple film is arguably the most difficult process at this stage.

If you have read until here, thank you! We hope that you will take our opinion and development work into consideration. Thank you for your support.

2. Ruby G. Creative Copywriter Staff Member Dec 17, 2018

Stickied Post

3. Dunnow The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Dec 17, 2018

Dunnow, Dec 17, 2018 :
    Frosted glass looks quite cool, I think there should be more white options in OnePlus Lineup

4. Moin2200 Jelly Bean Dec 17, 2018

5. dalmia09 Jelly Bean Dec 17, 2018

dalmia09, Dec 17, 2018 :
    I wish the frosted glass version came with the 6gb variant as well... It's really amazing!

Ravi BINAVAT, Kytharsis and G_plusone like this.
  6. gaster KitKat Moderator Dec 17, 2018

gaster, Dec 17, 2018 :
    Hey Ryan,

Thanks for sharing these information. Personally I really liked the way OnePlus 6 was made by using the 3D Glass layers plus the S texture. I mean there were options for those who like the more glass effect and the rest that liking the more matte effect. However in hand, they really both looked premium. But I couldn't say the same for the Silk White. Although it's using also Glass material as much as I know, I couldn't feel the same way like with the Mirror Black and the Midnight Black. But of course that was also an additional option for those who like something similar to it. About the frosted glass it may be a new way for you to set in production, but as you mentioned, you have to be sure that there will not be any issues. Personally I don't mind the fingerprints in the current glass material you have used.

Because I am sure that many people using their phones with a protective case. Of course there are others that they use them naked. But I personally prefer to have a device that gives me the premium feel when I hold it even if I have to face the fingerprints. From the other side you have the S texture. So in my opinion I prefer to have more options instead of a specific one. You could probably add a colorful glass as well if it's possible. The Red OnePlus 6 by the way was really something. They way how the glass looks with this red accent, really surprised me.

Anyway. Thanks for this detailed explanation and good luck with your future OnePlus products guys.

P.S Happy Birthday!

7. B.yashaswi Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 17, 2018

B.yashaswi, Dec 17, 2018 :
    Thanks for the info @Ryan R.
    glass is glass
    and i personally like the back of Huawei mate 20 pro is that the future is all about , will the glass back phones end???

8. Seagal_aikikai Honeycomb Dec 17, 2018

Seagal_aikikai, Dec 17, 2018 :
    Thanks for the explanations! Love the back glass and don't bother me the fingerprints on it! It's just beautiful. "never settle"

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  9. youbi Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Dec 17, 2018

youbi, Dec 17, 2018 :
    [​IMG]

I love my white op6, and its surely a original design that will always stand out in a crowd of smartphones. .P Oneplus did a great job there for sure. :)

Haven't had the opportunity to try the latest colors, especially the purple one, but in pics and videos it really looks Oneplus once again got it right. :hearteyes:

10. AlouLouky Jelly Bean Dec 17, 2018

AlouLouky, Dec 17, 2018 :
    Please stop using back glass,using glass on a portable device is a disaster looking to happen!
    Portable devices must be made to be abused.I dont know how this trend got into phones,even though i never had a problem with Oneplus or Samsung before .i am constantly careful not to damage it and that takes the fun away!

Ravi BINAVAT, mdegeus and G_plusone like this.
  11. the_o2 Lollipop Dec 17, 2018

Ravi BINAVAT, Kytharsis and Ruby G. like this.
  12. jlasensiofi KitKat Dec 17, 2018

jlasensiofi, Dec 17, 2018 :
    Thanks for the information, @Ryan R. Really interesting.

The finishing of the OnePLus 6 seems to me a marvel and its version Black Mirror a jewel. I love it.

Never Settle.

13. AtafJ Cupcake Dec 17, 2018

AtafJ, Dec 17, 2018 :
    Please update the next sale date of one plus 6T McLaren Edition in Amazon India site.will it come back in stock.

Ravi BINAVAT and Seagal_aikikai like this.
  14. Kytharsis Lollipop Dec 17, 2018

Kytharsis, Dec 17, 2018 :
    Wrong thread.

15. jhfernandez80 Gingerbread Dec 17, 2018

jhfernandez80, Dec 17, 2018 :
    Just keep doing all the amazing stuff you do....in the outside...and the inside.
    Amazing products with the best user experience....simple as that.
    #NeverSettle

Ravi BINAVAT and Seagal_aikikai like this.
  16. G_plusone Lollipop Dec 17, 2018

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  17. I1545075104014 Cupcake Dec 17, 2018

I1545075104014, Dec 17, 2018 :
    J'ai un pneu plus 5 depuis un an et je suis très satisfait de son autonomie tout comme de son appareil photo qui donne des photos magnifiques.

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  18. Saliou Eclair Dec 18, 2018

Saliou, Dec 18, 2018 :
    thanks you for these great work Oneplus[e]2122[/e] and Community, I'm very proud to be part in this Great Family

Saliou, from OnePlus Senegalese Community

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  19. DionisisKos Gingerbread Dec 18, 2018

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  20. ALAN KURUVILA JOHN Cupcake Dec 18, 2018

ALAN KURUVILA JOHN, Dec 18, 2018 :
    I would like to say some something (drawbacks),
    please improve camera quality, night mode, portrait effect quality and mainly please follow an unique design

W1533661452501 and Ravi BINAVAT like this.