OnePlus Product Awards - Read the Software Team's Nomination

1. Gary C. OxygenOS Operations Staff Member Dec 7, 2018

Gary C., Dec 7, 2018 :
    forum-OxygenOS-2.png

For our Software Feature Nomination, we’d like to put the spotlight on Face Unlock. The feature Face Unlock is one of the most widely-covered features among all OxygenOS features. After much demand, it’s been brought to the OnePlus 3/3T, the OnePlus 5/5T and of course, the OnePlus 6/6T. Our team believes that Face Unlock brings users the fastest unlock experience. This feature is also highly used in users’ daily life. Our community probably utilizes this feature many times every day. Face Unlock is also one of our most stable features, with the least bugs.

Unlocking is a frequent action for almost every smartphone user, so a faster unlock experience gives an advantage to our users. Among all the unlocking methods, “Face Unlock” is the most frequently used unlocking method. Even now that OnePlus 6T has the In-Display Fingerprint scanner, Face Unlock is still popular among our users.

For good reason. Two qualities of this feature – the super-fast unlocking speed and unperceived unlocking process contribute to a Fast and Smooth experience, which are also our OOS team’s philosophy.

Our team made a big effort to continuously improve the unlocking process and bring every OnePlus user a perfect Face Unlock experience, whether you are 6/6T user or 3/3T user. After tens of thousands of laboratory tests, including a violent crack test and closed-eye recognition test, we felt confident enough to roll out this feature. We believe that users can feel our sincerity in our work to develop a truly fast and smooth feature experience.

It took around 5 to 6 months on the “Face Unlock” project from the initial feature design to the final delivery. Constantly breaking through the limits of unlock speeds has been the biggest challenge for us. We committed as a team to achieve the fastest unlocking speed in the industry. With this belief, our engineers kept pursuing improvements, every 100 milliseconds faster than before, again and again. After challenging each limit by day and night, we achieved our aims finally. Some of the key people I’d have to recognize are from our hardworking R&D team – thank you all, especially Raymond so much.

Face Unlock embodies the core beliefs behind OxygenOS in every way. It’s so fast that that your daily unlock experience becomes almost imperceptible, making your device experience even more seamless. We’re proud of all the features we’ve developed this past year, but we especially want to draw your attention to this feature. Thank you for your support.

Never Settle.

2. Ruby G. NA Community Manager Staff Member Dec 7, 2018

Stickied Post

3. B_Wrath Lollipop Dec 7, 2018

B_Wrath, Dec 7, 2018 :
    Thanks for the story behind face unlock! Always a pleasure to read these!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018

4. youbi Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Dec 7, 2018

youbi, Dec 7, 2018 :
    Great feature indeed, and the best thing is that it caught almost everyone off guard, because it wasn't that much announced and when people tested it out for the first time they were all amazed on how fast it worked. :p

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018

5. GopalB. Marshmallow Dec 7, 2018

GopalB., Dec 7, 2018 :
    So is Face Unlock 100% secure???

6. Maverick2.0 Jelly Bean Dec 7, 2018

Maverick2.0, Dec 7, 2018 :
    This is ,indeed, news. Good news.

Ravi BINAVAT and Kytharsis like this.
  7. Maverick2.0 Jelly Bean Dec 7, 2018

I just love reading these posts . Get to know so much about how the phone I interact with everyday is working.

8. GopalB. Marshmallow Dec 7, 2018

GopalB., Dec 7, 2018 :
    Are you sure about that???
    Don't forget that even apple with all those dot projectors never claimed that its 100% secure...

9. Maverick2.0 Jelly Bean Dec 7, 2018

You have a point... But it's a fact that the phone isn't unlocked if the eyes are shut. I checked it long ago. That's good.

10. Alvie The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Dec 7, 2018

Alvie, Dec 7, 2018 :
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke​

11. Alvie The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Dec 7, 2018

Alvie, Dec 7, 2018 :
    To be fair, safety and security isn't the same...

12. Maverick2.0 Jelly Bean Dec 7, 2018

This is actually cool. I tested this and it does indeed work.

13. GopalB. Marshmallow Dec 7, 2018

GopalB., Dec 7, 2018 :
    That's true, but are eyes the only factor here???
    I know it wont unlock from a photo of the face too...
    But its still not a 100% secure method!!!

14. Maverick2.0 Jelly Bean Dec 7, 2018

But it's a thin line and often overlaps...

Ravi BINAVAT, Kytharsis and Alvie like this.
  15. GopalB. Marshmallow Dec 7, 2018

GopalB., Dec 7, 2018 :
    If something is a 100% safe... What can we call that???

16. Maverick2.0 Jelly Bean Dec 7, 2018

Frankly, I doubt there anything that's 100% secure. I mean even highly encrypted servers are sometimes cracked. So...

17. Maverick2.0 Jelly Bean Dec 7, 2018

18. GopalB. Marshmallow Dec 7, 2018

GopalB., Dec 7, 2018 :
    That's what Pete said...
    But he never said that Face Unlock is 100% secure...

19. Maverick2.0 Jelly Bean Dec 7, 2018

Hmmm...Point taken. Anyway, the best form of security is being careful ourselves.

20. BobbyV8_ The Showcase Reviewer Dec 7, 2018

BobbyV8_, Dec 7, 2018 :
    For some reason, things are going around '100' let them have fun for a while