Oneplus Refuses To Provide T-Mobile Variant Roms

1. G_Tyler_S_tsTy
    Cupcake Jan 21, 2020

G_Tyler_S_tsTy , Jan 21, 2020 :
    Oneplus continuously pretends that there is no rom image for the T-Mobile 7T Pro Mclaren 5G edition. They promise to do remote sessions for you then never get back to you. Never Settle is the motto but it feels like I'm settling quite a bit, settling for terrible customer service and lack of support for a $900 phone. Chat with Oneplus they tell you that T-Mobile can flash roms for you which they can't. Please Oneplus, give us the rom on your support site for the Mclaren Edition for Tmobile. WIthout it, we can never properly recover our devices.

hanetzer and R1572961313205 like this.
  2. hanetzer
    Eclair Jan 21, 2020

3. pablofg1978
    Spanish POC Assistant Head Moderator Jan 21, 2020

pablofg1978 , Jan 21, 2020 :
    The service support for the T-Mobile version is made by T-Mobile. You bought it from them, so it's them who needs to provide the support.

otto2 and ironass like this.
  4. hanetzer
    Eclair Jan 21, 2020

hanetzer , Jan 21, 2020 :
    One of the companies is lying, then.[​IMG]

5. pablofg1978

The software development is made by OnePlus. In this case the op 7tpro McLaren 5g is exclusive to T-Mobile, so the only software available should be the one that you need. I would insist on T-Mobile support until they accept it for repair.

6. hanetzer
    Eclair Jan 21, 2020

Honestly OnePlus as a company needs to chew out T-Mobile if it is actually their problem, as they're making you look bad as hell.

Either way, this whole issue has to do with a stupid design choice on OnePlus's part anyways, as the non-tmo phones have the same design in that regard: Placing a crucial system file somewhere it gets erased by unlocking the bootloader. Ya'll coulda just as easily made reserve.img, the file which breaks OTA updates, an actual partition directly on the storage device, instead of a file inside the userdata partition.

7. davidtb
    Froyo Jan 21, 2020

davidtb , Jan 21, 2020 :
    I would purchase a 7tpro McLaren 5g, but It seems in the US the only way to get one is through T-Mo, and they're awful in 518 area code. Make your money OP, offer them through your web,..in the US.
    I use Verizon prepay.

8. pablofg1978

The 5g McLaren version is exclusive for T-Mobile.
    It won't work (5g) on any other carrier

9. hanetzer
    Eclair Jan 21, 2020

I think you can get one from Sprint as well, but they're even worse than T-Mobile in this regard: they don't even allow for unlocking the bootloader at all, let alone the gimping we tmo plebs get when we unlock.

10. davidtb
    Froyo Jan 21, 2020

davidtb , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Jan 21, 2020 :
    I'd probably go through 2 more phones before 5G comes to 518.
    Verizon prepay is butter smooth here @LTE. I like OP's features.

11. ironass
    Lollipop Jan 22, 2020

ironass , Jan 22, 2020 :
    I am afraid that with all the carrier minority variants, you are not buying a stock OnePlus phone and firmware but rather the carrier's own ersatz version of what that carrier wants to offer you and when it wants to offer it.

[​IMG]

Back in October 2019, before the T-Mobile (USA) McLaren Pro 5G minority variant went on sale, I made this, now, prophetic prediction...

"The T-Mobile (USA) McLaren Pro 5G minority variant has so many negatives against it already."

"Bottom line: In my humble opinion, the T-Mobile (USA) McLaren 5G is a whole heap of misery, waiting to happen :eek:"

The full post..

"The T-Mobile (USA) McLaren Pro 5G minority variant has so many negatives against it already.

There will be no global firmware to convert this exclusive T-Mobile model to, (the only other 5G model, 7 Pro 5G, has a different chipset, etc: ), and buyers will be at the mercy of TMO butchering the firmware and its usual slow or no, firmware updates.

The McLaren model 5G will not be eligible for OnePlus' Open beta programme as indeed, the OnePlus 7 Pro 5G, is not.

On the subject of the carrier exclusive OnePlus 7 Pro 5G, users are already up-in-arms because they are not scheduled to receive the update to Android 10 until Q1 2020. Some 3 or 4 months after the non 5G model and the older global 6T. See...

UNIFIED] OnePlus 7 Pro 5G Owners Complaint Thread

Owners on that thread are begging to exchange their 7 Pro 5G models for the non 5G as it is much better supported and updated.

With T-Mobile's exclusivity on the 5G McLaren, they will not offer the same sort of updates as the non 5G model and great will be the weeping and wailing of TMO owners who think they have purchased a premium device that will be updated the same as the non carrier, global, devices.

Bottom line: In my humble opinion, the T-Mobile (USA) McLaren 5G is a whole heap of misery, waiting to happen :eek:"

Source

12. G_Tyler_S_tsTy
    Cupcake Jan 23, 2020

G_Tyler_S_tsTy , Jan 23, 2020 :
    The PROBLEM is that we can't get the McLaren edition in the US unless it's through T-Mobile. And if you buy the international version you're missing out on bands.

13. ironass
    Lollipop Jan 23, 2020

ironass , Jan 23, 2020 :
    Correct!

Something I mention in my previous post...

"There will be no global firmware to convert this exclusive T-Mobile model to, (the only other 5G model, 7 Pro 5G, has a different chipset, etc: )"

Unlike the OnePlus 6T and 7 series that can at least convert to the feature rich, faster updated and supported global model's firmware... T-Mobile (USA) has total control and exclusivity on this model. Why would T-Mobile (USA) want or allow, OnePlus to offer alternative ROM's to the one they certify and offer?

The best hope that T-Mobile (USA) McLaren Pro 5G minority variant users have is that some developer may wish to offer and support a custom ROM on this very, very, limited model at some time in the future but I would not hold my breath.

14. hanetzer
    Eclair Jan 24, 2020

hanetzer , Jan 24, 2020 :
    well I had a mostly working lineageos build going but that got side-tracked by the permanent inability
    to get updates (lineageos and other custom roms take portions of the 'stock' rom to make the various
    hardware work) after unlocking the bootloader. Basically, untill full roms are made available or a means
    to recover after a bootloader unlock, we're at the mercy of whatever exploits are in the last dump made
    before unlocking the bootloader.

15. Ytkuser
    Gingerbread Jan 26, 2020

Ytkuser , via OnePlus 7 Pro T-Mobile , Jan 26, 2020 :
    T-Mobile will never support rooting of a phone they consider it a no-no, and that it breaks warranty, so it's pretty bad and all that did it will probably never get it fixed it sucks it really does.

16. hanetzer
    Eclair Jan 27, 2020

TWINNFAMOUS likes this.
  17. hanetzer
    Eclair Jan 29, 2020

hanetzer , Jan 29, 2020 :
    Not to mention, the support team keeps trying to use the wrong msm tool to fix it.
    They're trying to use the TMO 7t (no pro) msm on our 7t pro mclaren 5g. Get it
    together OnePlus.

18. G1572469583021
    Gingerbread Feb 8, 2020

G1572469583021 , Feb 8, 2020 :
    have you tried T-Mobile service since they launched there 5G in December, I have the OnePlus 7t pro McLaren edition. it has been better service than AT&t in the same place that I've been with my T-Mobile service. I would always try to see how it is in your 5 1/8 area.

19. davidtb
    Froyo Feb 8, 2020

ironass likes this.
  20. ironass
    Lollipop Feb 8, 2020

ironass , Feb 8, 2020 :
    There are no OnePlus staff on this user forum I am afraid.

In any case, there is nothing whatsoever that OnePlus could do as the T-Mobile (USA) McLaren Pro 5G minority variant model is a worldwide exclusive model to T-Mobile (USA), only. OnePlus supply T-Mobile (USA) with the phone hardware and with the carrier's own authorised version of firmware that is certified by T-Mobile (USA).

The bottom line is that this model is a T-Mobile (USA), carrier controlled phone with no OnePlus global alternative.

See, also, posts #11 & #13, above.