OnePlus repair is a scam via OnePlus 6T

1. Qwe282
    Donut Oct 26, 2020

Qwe282 , via OnePlus 6T , Oct 26, 2020 :
    A few weeks ago I got my OnePlus 7 pro wet and it started having issues with the screen not responding and flickering as well as one of the mics not working cosmetically the phone was in perfect condition but just was having hardware issues I sent the phone in for repair hoping it would be around 200 and I got a bill back for this they want to replace the entire phone not just that it will cost more than what I bought it for this is unacceptable and I requested my phone back I expect to find it completely destroyed based off this and am pissed off
    When I sent the phone in it looked great (photos attached) and the camera moter definitely functioned.

OnePlus repair is a joke

Edit: while I still think there should be some way to repair a phone for less than the cost and this event saddens me in the end it is my fault for the cause of water damage and the phone is not covered under warranty for that damage OnePlus has pretty good costumer service hopefully I don't have anything to update here when I get the phone back and once I get it back that will be the final update honestly OnePlus makes some killer phones and as I write this I am using a 6t as my backup that is doing well I will probably go with a new 8t as it seems like the best option at this point I will keep this updated when I receive the phone back
    1603750692041.jpg

1603750522438.jpg

1603750522600.jpg

1603750522770.jpg

1603750522916.jpg

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020

anirudh.svs and Ankit Basarkar like this.
  2. Artemus.
    Nougat Oct 26, 2020

Artemus. , Oct 26, 2020 :
    What do you want us to do? o_O

otto2, Matt 80 and Tobikage like this.
  3. Qwe282
    Donut Oct 26, 2020

4. Artemus.
    Nougat Oct 26, 2020

Water damage isn't covered by manufacturer's warranty. What were you expecting?

otto2, Matt 80 and Tobikage like this.
  5. Qwe282
    Donut Oct 26, 2020

Qwe282 , via OnePlus 6T , Oct 26, 2020 :
    I was expecting because I sent it in with hardware issues that I would be charged for repairs not full phone replacement as they did in there quote I paid 499 for the phone and for repairs they want 650 that's completely unreasonable and when I sent it in some of what they listed was functonal like the camera moter I understand that this is not covered under warranty but they offer a repair service and I was expecting to have my phone repaired for a reasonable price my olny option now is to buy a new phone the same phone and or sell this one for parts that are working it's unacceptable service and in no universe should repairs cost more than the phone was purchased for

6. Artemus.
    Nougat Oct 26, 2020

I dunno what to tell you, dude.

Matt 80 and Tobikage like this.
  7. SoniaB
    Nougat Head Moderator Oct 27, 2020

SoniaB , Oct 27, 2020 :
    Hey there

Thank you for the PM. I thought it best to reply fully in your thread rather than just the PM itself.

Your OnePlus 7 pro got "wet and it started having issues with the screen not responding and flickering as well as one of the mics not working cosmetically".

I appreciate that the device outwardly appears to be in a pristine condition, however, the above description indicates more than a just a screen replacement.

The quote from the repair centre is indeed looking at replacing almost all of the internals due to liquid damage. So when your device got wet a few weeks ago, it ultimately meant that liquid penetrated the internal hardware. For your device to be fully operational, the repair centre will need to replace all of the parts quoted.

Your device has water damage and therefore warranty is void. You yourself admit that you were expecting to pay for replacement of the screen. The repair centre cannot just replace the screen and send the device back to you if they have found liquid damage on other internal hardware.

In PM you said that CS have offered you a discount on a new device since the cost of repair of your OP7Pro is more than the device value.

To be honest, this is a fair offer by CS. As such, this is not a case for escalation.

otto2, J4t1np4r3kh, Niklasg85 and 2 others like this.
  8. F_Sunil_Yadav_ExHx
    Eclair Oct 27, 2020

F_Sunil_Yadav_ExHx , Oct 27, 2020 :
    But the fact that it costs even more than he spent to buy the device is the concern here

J4t1np4r3kh likes this.
  9. _Skyrider_
    Cupcake Oct 28, 2020

_Skyrider_ , Oct 28, 2020 :
    Shouldn't the customer be altered in advanced before making all these charges? So he/she can reject the repair and only pay for examination costs.

Even OP repair team should know that if the repair costs go above the phone costs, its way cheaper to get a new phone.

10. J4t1np4r3kh
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Oct 28, 2020

J4t1np4r3kh , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Oct 28, 2020 :
    Fair play to Customer Service for giving the discount on a new device....

But gotta be honest, repairing the phone costing more than the device is mental 😂😂😂😂

11. Qwe282
    Donut Oct 28, 2020

Qwe282 , via OnePlus 6T , Oct 28, 2020 :
    Was alerted if I wanted the charges but what's concerning is there is stuff on there they wanted to replace that doesn't at all relate to water damage like the back glass and I know the phones cammras where functioning when I sent it out not saying they where not water damaged but it's kinda odd

12. SoniaB
    Nougat Head Moderator Oct 28, 2020

SoniaB , Oct 28, 2020 :
    Well it's obviously not a great position to be in but it's down to the cost of materials and labour.

it is stated that any quotation confirmed before physical inspection is an estimation and yes, the customer has the choice on whether or not to proceed with repair. As stated by me already, CS have offered a discount towards a new device as they do understand that repairing the original device will cost more than what the device is worth.

it's not that odd at all. Before you can take the full back panel off, you have to disconnect the cable attached to the back panel which connects to the laser auto focus module and the flash. So if the internal of the back panel has liquid damage then that would need to be replaced.

The repair centre have to quote each component that needs replacing as a result of the liquid damage.

I understand and appreciate that this is not a great situation to find yourself in, but it doesn't change the outcome.

otto2 and Artemus. like this.
  13. Qwe282
    Donut Oct 28, 2020

Qwe282 , via OnePlus 6T , Oct 28, 2020 :
    Thank you for taking the time to respond to all questions and concerns sorry for not doing more research and not fully understand again thank you for your time and patience wish I had more options here but the fact is I caused damage to my phone that is not covered under warranty and now I have to deal with the consequences just knowledge for future

otto2 and SoniaB like this.
  14. carlosveu10
    Cupcake Oct 29, 2020

carlosveu10 , Oct 29, 2020 :
    The customer be altered in advanced before making all these charges? So he/she can reject the repair and only pay for examination costs. blender

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020