OnePlus Speaks. The David Y. Interview

1. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Feb 23, 2018

Cheetosdust , Feb 23, 2018 :
    OnePlus is a brand made of stories. Stories told by its products, but also by the people who work there. If you follow these forums, you may know some of those faces, some of the contributions they make so we can post here; so we can type away in our little keyboards, sharing the same passion - we all have differents hearts beating at the same pace.

It usually starts with the expectation of a “no”. However, when I asked David Y. if he was available to do a little interview, it was the opposite of that. “Sounds like an awesome idea,” he replied in a surprising Private Message.

If you are reading this, you probably care a little about these forums too. We all read some weird threads occasionally and sometimes there are a few repeated ones about a certain update, however, we also have some great threads and some users who are here since 2013 or 2014.

So we talked a little bit about those days and the differences to the forums in 2018. It’s also mentioned if that change is a reflection of OnePlus starting to become more mainstream. As you can read below, the forums are a big part of the interview, because, well, it’s the place where we all reply and quote and miss tags.

This is just a small introduction, since the highlight of the thread is David himself. If you stick around, you may even find out what phone he is using (I’m sure no one guessed) and read a few suggestions about music, TV and movies.

Without further ado, here he is, @David Y. , OnePlus Community Manager.

How was start working on OnePlus? How that opportunity came about?

I joined OnePlus on May 26th, 2014.

I knew the brand two months before my joining. At that time it hadn’t launched the OnePlus One yet, but its ambition, modesty and openness was a breath of fresh air among the industry. I was so impressed that I registered a forum account (domestic one) right on the first day I knew it, and shared an idea of mine about the phone on the forum. However I was inactive because my mom was seriously sick, I had to take care of my family first.

Two months later, my parent asked me to find a job. I checked back to the forum to see if I had a chance to join a company I admire. I do found an official hiring thread, woohoo! So I applied for one open position. But the HR didn't think I was qualified for the job, I understand, but I didn't give up, I convinced her to let me try another open position - Online Community Operations and asked for a chance to interview. I made it. I was lucky.

For the users in the community who still don’t know who you are, can you please tell us a little bit more about you and about your role within OnePlus?

Sure. First of all, I am not a talkative person, I prefer to express my point of view when I need to. It's more of a habit for me to be quiet, listen, think and improve. I see my role in OnePlus as a messenger between OnePlus internal team and external users, also I am the guy who need to assure our community forum is healthy from every perspective.

What’s the most difficult part of your job as a Community Manager? And the easiest one?

If I have to choose one, I would say proper communication between internal team and external users, it is one of the most difficult tasks of my job, because miscommunication often leads to misunderstanding. Proper mindset should comes first, then proper communication, this is something we should do together.

For your second question, to be transparent, no easy task. To get things done is easy, but to get things done beautifully is another thing. I often make mistakes.

How do you see the OnePlus community? I know you’re around the forums daily, what’s your take on these message boards?

Like many others, I learned about OnePlus from its community first. Our community is our backyard where we can listen to, talk to and have fun with our users. I have met many super nice people from both home and abroad, and we have become friends. To me, community is the most unique and interesting part of OnePlus. I have always believed in the power of our community.

As for the community communication environment, we still got a lot to improve. Meet different peoples’ need is one of our directions.

A lot of users say that the vibe on the forums was very different in 2013, 2014 and in 2018. Is OnePlus aware of that transition?

Yes, I agree. I am one of the insiders. It’s a mixed feeling because we have been through ups and downs. And we did aware of this change. My job here is to restore the vibe we had before, and to make it better. We have been moving to a positive direction since last year, also one of the good news is we’ve received more support internally. Above all, we have so many great community members who have been constantly supporting us. I am grateful.

Do you see that change as a side effect of the company becoming more mainstream?

No, I don’t agree. It is a side effect of those huge mistakes we made. How so? Because those mistakes are due to we were overconfident, not that we want to become more mainstream. OnePlus 2, OnePlus X, and our own software are very unique products, don’t you agree? I don't see any conflicts between our early adopters and normal users, because we all share the most essential need - a solid product.

I know you’re not going comment on the exact changes, but can the users of the forums be excited for something new in the near future?

A big YES! Thanks to everyone’s feedback, We have been working on some very exciting products, including hardware, software, and our community itself. Good news are on the way.

What phone are you using right now? I imagine it’s a OnePlus device, but can you please share what model, color, RAM?

Currently I am using a OnePlus 5T, Sandstone White variant, it is a engineering device, which only has 6GB RAM and 64GB memory. I also have a OnePlus 5 and a OnePlus 3T on my desk, for flashing those latest builds to see how they work.

Let’s forget about phones for a minute. What are you watching (tv, movies) and listening?

TBH I don’t have a fixed taste. Darkest Hour is one of the best movies I’ve watched recently. I like to watch documentaries since I was a kid. If you ask me which movie inspires me most, I would say it is the Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron. Its original soundtrack is also my favorite. Also, I try my best to read The Economist every week, to broaden my knowledge about the world.

And finally, a simple question: are you happy with the community you manage?

I am happy with the progress we have made together, It’s very encouraging that we are getting better support inside the company. but I am not satisfied with the current situation, we still have a lot to do. This is our community, not mine. So I would like to invite everyone to hit me a message when you have any suggestions or ideas. I am very happy that I have received some already. Anyway, I am all ears.

And there you have it. As an end note, I just wanted to thank David once again, for his time and for saying yes to this without wanting to read the questions beforehand. And also a thank you to you, yes you, for reading the thread.

OnePlus is not a perfect company, but there sure are great people working all around the world to make it a better one. The community is part of that same OnePlus and I just hope now you know a little better one of the people responsible for that.

2. GopalB.
    Nougat Feb 23, 2018

GopalB. , Feb 23, 2018 :
    Well I'm a slow reader...
    And after reading this... I have to say... Great thread as always @Cheetosdust... So should we expect these interviews for other staff members as well??? i might be waiting for one of those...

I miss quite a few tags too... :p

Keep surprising us with these threads... :D

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018

3. pa5t1s
    Marshmallow Feb 23, 2018

4. idkwhoiam322
    Nougat Feb 23, 2018

idkwhoiam322 , Feb 23, 2018 :
    @Cheetosdust
    Fantastic interview! With each of these threads you make, I begin to doubt if you really aren't a writer/journalist, you're better than most out there!
    @David Y.
    Thanks for the interview, enjoyed reading every bit!
    (PS. If you ever need any recommendations to watch, even chinese anime, PM me :p)
    A question from my side, what's something from another device you would love to see on a OnePlus device? Software, hardware or even maybe something a company offers as a service?

5. David Y.
    Global Community Manager Staff Member Feb 23, 2018

6. pojr
    Jelly Bean Feb 23, 2018

pojr , Feb 23, 2018 :
    Fantastic interview. And it says a lot that David Y was able to participate in the interview
    Now that is a good leader. Also, thanks for acknowledging the OnePlus X. :)

script, youbi, superplus and 5 others like this.
  7. pa5t1s
    Marshmallow Feb 23, 2018

pa5t1s , Feb 23, 2018 :
    Cool! Too bad we'll only have virtual glasses of virtual Champagne to cheer up :)

8. GopalB.
    Nougat Feb 23, 2018

Praty_28, pa5t1s, Dextter and 4 others like this.
  9. pojr
    Jelly Bean Feb 23, 2018

pojr , Feb 23, 2018 :
    Interviewer: Ever heard of the OnePlus X?

Me: No

Interviewer: Good answer. You're in

10. GopalB.
    Nougat Feb 23, 2018

GopalB. , Feb 23, 2018 :
    [​IMG]

11. Themurtuza
    Jelly Bean Feb 23, 2018

12. David Y.
    Global Community Manager Staff Member Feb 23, 2018

David Y. , Feb 23, 2018 :
    Thanks! It's very nice of you!
    I don't know others, but a way better community app is all I need right now.

13. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Feb 23, 2018

Cheetosdust , Feb 23, 2018 :
    Thanks, yeah, if they're available, I would love to.

Thank you, but like I mentioned in the first post, this thread is all about you and your answers :p

Nah, I'm good, thanks ;)

I would love that.

14. idkwhoiam322
    Nougat Feb 23, 2018

Rofl, I'm with you, haven't laughed this hard in ages!

Dextter, NeVeR_SeTTLe and GopalB. like this.
  15. GopalB.
    Nougat Feb 23, 2018

GopalB. , Feb 23, 2018 :
    We all need a better community app... Thank you...

And ya...
    Don't know why but SwiftKey goes haywire on community when using it in chrome...
    Doesn't happen any other place tho... :confused:
    I know it was a cupcake move... But I had to tell someone...

16. idkwhoiam322
    Nougat Feb 23, 2018

I don't think it's just swiftkey. I've had issues with predictions on gboard as well. Also, no autocaptilization, and other stuff you see in normal text boxes. Something is messed up for sure.

Dextter, GopalB. and NeVeR_SeTTLe like this.
  17. NeVeR_SeTTLe
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Feb 23, 2018

NeVeR_SeTTLe , Feb 23, 2018 :
    I am speechless! The interview is priceless! Thanks @Cheetosdust for all the hard work you did on this interview. @David Y. thanks for doing the interview and providing honest answers. Always appreciated!

otto2, luxuskamel, puccellino and 6 others like this.
  18. Themurtuza
    Jelly Bean Feb 23, 2018

Themurtuza , Feb 23, 2018 :
    We all need it, community app needs not just better but drastic changes as well..

h_kashyap, GopalB. and NeVeR_SeTTLe like this.
  19. NeVeR_SeTTLe
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Feb 23, 2018

NeVeR_SeTTLe , Feb 23, 2018 :
    Totally agree

GopalB. and Themurtuza like this.
  20. Themurtuza
    Jelly Bean Feb 23, 2018

Themurtuza , Feb 23, 2018 :
    Even ive noticed that as well, swiftkey goes gaga on browser version of forum on chrome . Elsewhere it works perfectly