Other OnePlus Switch - incomplete restore

1. DaveInOttawa
    Cupcake Jan 22, 2020

DaveInOttawa , Jan 22, 2020 :
    Backed up my 6 using OP Switch 2.5.5, selected all options. Executed backup. Copied the MobileBackup folder to hard drive of laptop. Factory reset phone. Reinitialized phone with my Google account, copied MobileBackup folder back into phone opbackup folder. Ran OP Switch, selected Restore. Only options offered were Contacts, PIctures and Audio. Updated OP Switch via Play Store, confirmed version 2.5.5. Options offered are now Contacts, Pictures, Audio and Apps. Carried out restore.

SMS messages not restored, no other Google accounts restored, no home screen settings restored.

What am I missing?

2. RogerOriginals
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 22, 2020

Caomhin likes this.
  3. DaveInOttawa
    Cupcake Jan 24, 2020

DaveInOttawa , via OnePlus 6 , Jan 24, 2020 :
    By using the same version of Switch to back up and restore, how could encryption cause an issue?

I can browse to the backup folder on my laptop and see the SMS data and attachments, it just seems like Switch didn't bother to pull it during the restore, not was there an option to select to restore that data.

4. Caomhin
    KitKat Jan 24, 2020

Caomhin , via OnePlus 6T , Jan 24, 2020 :
    Have you tried to repeat the restore again to see if it pulls it the second time.?

5. DaveInOttawa
    Cupcake Jan 24, 2020

6. Caomhin
    KitKat Jan 24, 2020

Caomhin , via OnePlus 6T , Jan 24, 2020 :
    If you have a Google account, that also backs up Msgs as well, see if they can be synced through Google account.

7. DaveInOttawa
    Cupcake Jan 24, 2020

DaveInOttawa , via OnePlus 6 , Jan 24, 2020 :
    Checked. It's only backing up contacts.

Going to play with it some more tonight. Backup folder on the computer is 14 GB, but the restore operation says it's only grabbing 10 GB.

8. Paul Van Migom
    Cupcake Jan 29, 2020

Paul Van Migom , Jan 29, 2020 :
    Hi, I have the same problem. In Oneplus Switch I can't restore my Apps... The file is 48GB and I can only restore 38GB...
    Does anyone know how to restore my Apps ?

Thanks !

9. Caomhin
    KitKat Jan 29, 2020

Caomhin , via OnePlus 6T , Jan 29, 2020 :
    Outside of doing a full format reset again, then trying to restore with oneplus switch again. I would suggest contacting OnePlus Support directly to see if they have a solution for their Switch software

You can contact OnePlus support directly for more information on your issue. Scroll down the page for contact details.

https://www.oneplus.com/support

DrJMun likes this.
  10. DaveInOttawa
    Cupcake Jan 29, 2020

DaveInOttawa , via OnePlus 6 , Jan 29, 2020 :
    Thanks. It turned out that I must've used move and not copy to place the backup folder into my phone for the last restore, because it's no longer on my laptop. Weird, because I never use move as a general rule, but I can't rule it out.

Will probably investigate using third party software to do backups going forward, as it turns out Switch doesn't back up the documents folder either. I don't think I lost anything critical, but it's going to cause me some extra work to locate files in other locations.

11. Paul Van Migom
    Cupcake Jan 29, 2020

I have some bad news... The support told me that the OnePlusSwitch app can only support 35GB of storage... If your backup is more than 35GB, you'll not be able to restore your backup... Unbelievable...

DrJMun and Caomhin like this.
  12. Kytharsis
    Marshmallow Jan 29, 2020

Kytharsis , Jan 29, 2020 :
    Easy solution. Google Drive.

Caomhin likes this.
  13. Caomhin
    KitKat Jan 29, 2020

At least that clarifies the issue, but small though if you have a 128GB phone and it's over half full.

Kytharsis likes this.
  14. Caomhin
    KitKat Jan 29, 2020

Unless you pay for storage, the free storage is only 15GB. Same for Google Photos, though they compress your photos unless you choose the full resolution option.

15. Kytharsis
    Marshmallow Jan 29, 2020

Kytharsis , Jan 29, 2020 :
    Who uses all 15GB?

Caomhin likes this.
  16. Caomhin
    KitKat Jan 29, 2020

If you are trying to backup more than 15GB it's not really an option unless you pay for their plans.

Be surprised, came across a poster here who was trying to update, with only 3GB left of 128GB. Was not gonna work, but that's a massive amount of data to lose if you have no backup.

Nice to know the limits of the OnePlus Switch app though.

Kytharsis likes this.
  17. Caomhin
    KitKat Jan 29, 2020

18. Paul Van Migom
    Cupcake Jan 29, 2020

I already backed up my 48GB storage on my computer but I can't restore everything and there's nothing on my phone. Do you have an idea of how I can use my backup file to have my apps back? If I delete some videos/photos from the backup file directly will the file be damaged and unusable? If I manage to reduce the size of the file under 35GB do you think that it will work?

19. DrJMun
    KitKat Jan 29, 2020

DrJMun , Jan 29, 2020 :
    Hmmmm is that openly "advertised"? Sure seems as if it should be. Better yet would be to flash a warning letting the user know that they have more than 35GB worth of data and not all of it will be backed up.

20. Caomhin
    KitKat Jan 29, 2020

See above, @Paul Van Migom post, seems the limit is 35GB.