OnePlus - The Conspiracy Theory

1. sweetlibra92
    Eclair Aug 14, 2014

sweetlibra92 , Aug 14, 2014 :
    OnePlus – The conspiracy Theory

Few of us may be wondering that how OnePlus does it. Well it is not much of a rocket science that we see the price of such a high spec. phone so low. The company has utilized the few basic principles of business i.e. no distributor and no resellers. However, the question is that will this system work. I will leave that for you to decide!

OnePlus is a new startup with great business tactics; however, to maintain such a price, they will have to cut off any options of having distributors and resellers. Furthermore, they will not be able to establish support centers across the globe as that will add to the cost. Nevertheless, there is a downfall in this approach i.e. consumers will never get the phone on time, nor will their support needs be addressed in an appropriate period. People are resorting to forums and other sources for support, which will continue to be the primary source; however, hardware support will remain an issue for a very long period. Warranty claims will be a hassle as most users will have to ship back the phone and will incur cost.

So what’s next!!!

Well, it is obvious the company will shift to the more traditional model of having distributors and resellers, as they need to retain the customers. They will have to open service and warranty centers across the globe. However, that raises a crucial question, will the price remain same! I will leave that to your imagination.

The invite System

A method used by Google when they introduced Gmail. It is definitely a great approach when you are giving out free stuff but it is not a good option when invites are buying goods. Why the invite system? It is obvious that the company wanted to see if people are willing to buy their product. They took a risk free approach by producing a small number and selling as per the demand. However, they did not anticipated the high demands causing the system to fail. Realizing the failure of the invite system the company started giving out invites the members of their forum as and when phones are produced. The question is that do they still need the invite system? Can’t they just implement a preorder and booking system? Don’t you think it will help in retaining customers and reduce nasty comments on the forum? I leave the answers up to your imagination!

The conspiracy theory…………..

2. fd.iqbal
    Gingerbread Aug 14, 2014

3. Elas
    Jelly Bean Aug 14, 2014

Elas , Aug 14, 2014 :
    I think there is no such thing as a conspiracy theory
    For ages we know that people seek elites, groups in which they and only they can join by some form of ritual, this grants you the honor to say you belong to this group and makes you feel chosen or special ! this works every time and in this case it's an elite group of smart geeks who found a very high end cheap phone !
    I'm just saying man...

4. iomollie
    Honeycomb Aug 14, 2014

iomollie , Aug 14, 2014 :
    If you bought a phone from ANY CHINESE COMPANY you would have to send it back and pay the shipping. So, how are OP any different there? I don't see any other companies like them with support centres across the globe, let alone one a small as this. But if you had read the latest AMA, you would know that this is going to happen very soon. We already know they are practically sellling this phone at cost. You really think a pre order system would work?? 40,000 people sign up and most of them would have to wait months before they got the phone. Bad idea.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014

Scarchee likes this.
  5. fd.iqbal
    Gingerbread Aug 14, 2014

fd.iqbal , Aug 14, 2014 :
    I dont think its cheap, Its just the way they are avoiding overhead costs. e.g. commission agents, marketing, and support centers. But I believe they will end up doing what others are doing.. Cuz this system wont work.

pawel55555 likes this.
  6. manas.mr
    Honeycomb Aug 14, 2014

manas.mr , Aug 14, 2014 :
    These are true, but we don't have any other option to have a phone like this at this price range......no company can beat opo's strategy on pricing...

lelyeh_333 and iomollie like this.
  7. Hexx
    Froyo Aug 14, 2014

Hexx , Aug 14, 2014 :
    I dont think its too cheap, especialy the price in euros which is higher for some reason.. But still a cool price for such a device.

Gamod and fd.iqbal like this.
  8. fd.iqbal
    Gingerbread Aug 14, 2014

9. Gamod
    Gingerbread Aug 14, 2014

Gamod , Aug 14, 2014 :
    AS long as they keep the same price quality, in my opinion it is their best approach to the consumer. No other companies builds such high quality phones for these prices. :) Hope they keep their philo for all the next models. And I hope they wont forget the SimCard reader ;)

10. fd.iqbal
    Gingerbread Aug 14, 2014

fd.iqbal , Aug 14, 2014 :
    Well I guess companies build for the same price, its just that the price increases as you add distributors, support centers and stuff. So you either compromise on after sales or you buy it cheap :)

11. jlholmes27
    Gingerbread Aug 14, 2014

jlholmes27 , Aug 14, 2014 :
    Because the value of a euro is lower than that of, say, a Great British Pound.

12. Gamod
    Gingerbread Aug 14, 2014

13. bozzo
    Eclair Aug 14, 2014

14. Sera69
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 14, 2014

Sera69 , Aug 14, 2014 :
    I'm wondering why Oneplus didn't try the kickstarter route, getting people to pay maybe half the price of the handset upfront to enable limited manufacture and using the increase in growth to roll out greater volumes. At least this way the customer would have a guaranteed preorder and know the ETA of their handset

fd.iqbal likes this.
  15. Toddyfoxx
    Gingerbread Aug 14, 2014

16. Gamod
    Gingerbread Aug 14, 2014

Gamod , Aug 14, 2014 :
    Dual Sim, would be nice too, my actual phone is dual sim and it is really useful when you travel or have some job position somewhere else in the world.

17. jbudness
    Honeycomb Aug 14, 2014

jbudness , Aug 14, 2014 :
    I think you are missing a big part of the company ideas... They are all about people getting together and sharing with each other... I dont think it is about getting this device out to the masses as much as it is getting people together and sharing the product/features/news/issues yada yada with the masses...

18. Scarchee
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 14, 2014

Scarchee , Aug 14, 2014 :
    Meh. In my opinion all OnePlus would just need like a second support center or something in North America, which is where most of the forum users I think are from. Would cut shipping for RMA's and queries for many issues a lot easier to handle if the work is distributed across 2 locations. Sure it might cost a few million dollars, but it could happen a year or twodown the road when OnePlus is mainstream as **** xD

19. jbudness
    Honeycomb Aug 14, 2014

jbudness , Aug 14, 2014 :
    Here is where i got my information....
    If you dont feel like watching the whole thing just skip to like 2:20... and you will see what I mean..

YouTube Video Of CEO Interview....

20. Neth
    Jelly Bean Aug 14, 2014