"OnePlus to develop its own ROM"

1. api182
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 30, 2014

api182 , Jul 30, 2014 :
    Hi All, sorry if this has already been posted but I just saw this on Gizchina and it's got me worried as Cyanogenmods involvement was one of the main reasons I got my OnePlus One...

http://www.gizchina.com/2014/07/30/oneplus-develop-rom/

It starts like this: -

"Reports today are suggesting that OnePlus are in the process of ditching Cyanogenmod in favour of their own ROM that will be developed in Taiwan."

What do we all think about that?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014

slimtom and LeavingSamsung like this.
  2. thatboy94
    Honeycomb Jul 30, 2014

thatboy94 , Jul 30, 2014 :
    Would be interesting to see. But hey you can still put cyanogen on yourself right?

krusade and HeadAxe like this.
  3. HMusa

4. doubleabeepbeep
    Froyo Jul 30, 2014

doubleabeepbeep , Jul 30, 2014 :
    I'm betting this won't affect the international version of the phone. They already run Color OS on the Chinese version of the phone. Probably just getting there own and dumping the OPPO OS.

Montalbert and kp1234 like this.
  5. Boba_the_Fett
    Gingerbread Jul 30, 2014

6. api182

api182 , Jul 30, 2014 :
    Ye but I like the idea of Cyanogenmod being the official rom maker, that way they have a responsibility to keep developing a non-rooted version of the latest and greatest android for those of us that like all the bells and whistles without root (banking apps don't like root)...

thatboy94 likes this.
  7. api182

api182 , Jul 30, 2014 :
    I hope so...

8. kp1234
    Community Veteran Jul 30, 2014

kp1234 , Jul 30, 2014 :
    That seems realistic

9. givemeyoursoul
    KitKat Jul 30, 2014

givemeyoursoul , Jul 30, 2014 :
    What shit *** bank do YOU have?
    Usaa and chase apps both work fine for me, as does my credit Union app.

JoshD422 likes this.
  10. grav3h3art
    Jelly Bean Jul 30, 2014

grav3h3art , Jul 30, 2014 :
    Gizchina is a reliable source... let's see how this rolls out but for the mean time I just want my timely OTAs from CynogenMod.

11. omarvel0us
    Honeycomb Jul 30, 2014

12. iapurbabiswas
    Honeycomb Jul 30, 2014

iapurbabiswas , Jul 30, 2014 :
    i think CM is the best android rom. OnePlus does not need to develop their own rom when CM is there for OPO. but if they develop a new rom than will try it definitely. :)

copotronic likes this.
  13. api182

api182 , Jul 30, 2014 :
    Being in the UK I bank with Barclays, they see root as a potential security hole and point blank refuse to support it...

14. Garra8
    Lollipop Jul 30, 2014

copotronic likes this.
  15. cipherbreak
    Froyo Jul 30, 2014

cipherbreak , Jul 30, 2014 :
    CyanogenMod messed up with all the bugs and problems in their ROM. A brand new company launching a hyped up product cannot afford that kind of bad publicity. From lock screen issues to low call volume, CyanogenMod has not delivered a smooth launch-ready ROM. I really don't care as long as they keep the device open to customization.

16. Shripad
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 31, 2014

Shripad , Jul 31, 2014 :
    I Want 2 year CyanogenMod support. That is what I was promised. If they change that, well, it wont go down well unless Cyanogen Inc continues to support the phone on their own even after formal parting ways (if the report is to be believed.).
    Maybe in Chinese market they can try out their own ROM. CyanogenMod has lot of pull with the customers who are giving OnePlus a chance with One. That is the primary reason lot of people I know picked One over say Huawei Honor 6.

copotronic and api182 like this.
  17. wmm
    KitKat Jul 31, 2014

wmm , Jul 31, 2014 :
    Interesting. I have three (U.S.) banking applications on my rooted phone, and none of them give me any problems. I recall having heard that some financial apps refused to run on a rooted phone, but I had forgotten about it.

18. wmm
    KitKat Jul 31, 2014

wmm , Jul 31, 2014 :
    I think the article was probably right, that this development (if real) is likely intended to give them some distance from ColorOS/Oppo, not aimed at the international market. I would be very surprised at a OnePlus/Cyanogen divorce at any point in the foreseeable future.

MrAndroid likes this.
  19. Shripad

Shripad , Jul 31, 2014 :
    To be honest, the latest update fixed most issues. You need to understand this phone has still not seen retail launch. Yes, as customers we do expect perfect product. But current economical and product life cycle does not allow that. Not with OnePlus, not with Samsung phones, not even with nexus.

Here is the main issue. It is race to get to the market that is cause behind this..
    Anyone who bought Galaxy S3 at launch, specially those with Exynos version knows what hellhole the software was. And I am not talking about Touchwiz UI. But bugs. It was full of bugs. It took Samsung 2-3 months to roll out OTA that finally turned the phone into something that was nice and smooth (for its time).
    Nexus 5 launched with critical bugs. IT was smooth, but had bugs. This is all because of the race to get to the market. This comes at the cost of proper testing in modern world of technology. No matter how much testing these companies do in limited time, they simply cannot iron out all bugs that millions out there will find during their day to day use.

This is no different story. I will be more worried about hardware issues to be honest. But even with One, the user experience has changed dramatically over last 2 months. I actually went and flashed older ROMs to check how things were before and how things are now. And trust me, there has been major change in user experience. And for the good.

This does not excuses bugs, but you need to understand that no phone has been perfect out of box in last 2-3 years.

riffraff81, cpaixao, pastmann and 3 others like this.
  20. api182

api182 , Jul 31, 2014 :
    Ye... I don't like how that article opens though...

"Reports today are suggesting that OnePlus are in the process of ditching Cyanogenmod in favour of their own ROM that will be developed in Taiwan."

That suggests otherwise..?