OnePlus TV brings best-in-class possible picture quality to life

1. Todd W.
    TV Product Marketing Staff Member Sep 4, 2019

Todd W. , Sep 4, 2019 :
    tvdive01.png

Let's talk about picture quality.

Since the first TV was invented, it has been arguably the most important home device for people to explore the world, generation after generation. No matter how many rounds of evolution it’s been through, providing a great viewing experience remains the most fundamental yet important feature for a TV. The only thing that has changed significantly is that our standard for great picture quality is getting higher and higher. 

Every day, people turn on their TVs to "watch" – no matter if it’s a news program, a movie, or a game – what they want is to completely indulge in great viewing experiences. It is also the same reason for us to take picture quality seriously. 

In Pete's recent interviews, he mentioned that our OnePlus TV is equipped with a customized QLED panel. Here, the "Q" refers to quantum dots – tiny semiconductor particles that are less than 10 nanometers. 

One of the major features of these quantum dots is illumination. When the quantum dots are illuminated by UV light, an electron in the quantum dot can be excited to a state of higher energy. Different sized quantum dots emit different colored light due to quantum confinement – smaller dots emit green light, yet bigger dots emit red light. After putting these dots on a LED panel, they are able to project richer and more vivid colors compared to traditional LCD displays. 

So that's basically how QLED panels work. But at OnePlus, we always take it one step further. Ever since we decided to use QLED technology, we had been trying to figure out how to make it more advanced. After endless rounds of testing, we are finally proud to say that our QLED panel has the industry-leading wide color gamut. How wide? Our color gamut is able to achieve 113% under the DCI-P3 standard and 120% under the NTSC standard, which is higher than the most advanced QLED panels that are currently available on the market. 

A higher color gamut allows us to truly manage to provide you with a more dynamic and vivid picture quality. To be more specific, with a OnePlus QLED panel, flowers will look richer, food will look more appetizing, and the sky will have more layers with more shades. 

But only a great QLED panel is not enough – what really helps establish the premium positioning for OnePlus TV and sets us apart from other brands is our dedicated processor called Gamma Color Magic chipset. 

TVdeepdive.jpg

Our customized Gamma chip is an independent processor that is dedicated to picture optimization besides the regular picture processor to guarantee the best possible picture quality. Including an independent picture processor is basically the standard for a premium smart TV, and for our OnePlus TV, we are very proud that our customized Gamma chip has an industry-leading performance even when comparing with other premium competitors. 

Here are some of the main reasons why our customized Gamma chip can produce cleaner and smoother videos: 
    • Super Resolution: this is a special algorithm to help improve the picture resolution. 
    • De-contour: this feature will help fix the banding issue due to insufficient color information to eventually improve the picture quality. This will be especially helpful for videos or pictures showing different shades of colors. 
    • MEMC/Motion Estimate and Motion Compensation: this feature will benefit the smoothness of a video, especially when you are enjoying some sports games.

This post may sound a bit too techy for some of you; however, as a product manager, I'm very excited about the picture quality of our OnePlus TV. After numerous days and nights of developing, tuning and testing, I'm proud of the final results of our baby, and I can't wait for you to press the power button and enjoy the exciting world that OnePlus brings to you. 

Never Settle 

2. Antgl
    Honeycomb Sep 4, 2019

3. femiuex
    Honeycomb Sep 4, 2019

4. G_Sudhakar_Mishra_McAM
    Eclair Sep 4, 2019

5. Starcommander
    KitKat Sep 4, 2019

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019

6. camohan
    Marshmallow Moderator Sep 4, 2019

7. akks
    Jelly Bean Sep 4, 2019

8. RainyMoonShadow
    Eclair Sep 4, 2019

9. Dunnow
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Sep 4, 2019

10. Vansh99
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 4, 2019

Vansh99 , Sep 4, 2019 :
    I'm waiting for the T variant of the fridge, hopefully they'll get over 3 years of software updates xd

11. F1562165107205
    Cupcake Sep 4, 2019

12. Pulikanti Tarun
    Gingerbread Sep 4, 2019

13. Impersonal
    Jelly Bean Sep 4, 2019

Impersonal , Sep 4, 2019 :
    I hope we don't fall into that rabbit hole, for the last time, the fact that the 7 is actually cheaper than the 6T is a benefit to us (the consumers) :p
    But yes I hope it will be cheaper than the 6T... Idk 500$ maybe

14. Impersonal
    Jelly Bean Sep 4, 2019

It heats in your pocket, that's not a proper location for a TV

15. Starcommander
    KitKat Sep 4, 2019

Starcommander , Sep 4, 2019 :
    Its priced around 1000$:p

16. ravikrcsia
    Gingerbread Sep 4, 2019

ravikrcsia , Sep 4, 2019 :
    Woho ! This just amazed me, how OnePlus always find a great way to stand out among the market and always make a "NEVER SETTLE" tag a more viberant one with their Marvelous product !

17. Impersonal
    Jelly Bean Sep 4, 2019

Yeah, but I'm in no rush, and usually around the winter Hollidays, TV's really get big discounts, I don't have one, I use my PC monitor, for TV consumption, although I only watch sport events ;)

18. G_plusone
    Marshmallow Sep 4, 2019

G_plusone , Sep 4, 2019 :
    Get in line :p

19. malidan
    Marshmallow Sep 4, 2019

malidan , Sep 4, 2019 :
    A QLED screen. :eek:
    So I take it this will carry a 10 year screen burn warranty like Samsungs, seen as it's the best in class.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019

20. _shivamshukla_
    Gingerbread Sep 4, 2019