OnePlus TV Q1 Pro - 4K Video Stuttering (Unacceptable) via OnePlus 8 Pro

1. rishabhtandon96 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Mar 21, 2021 :
    Hello All!

I remember buying this TV during the launch in October 2019 and I was so excited to buy this TV. As someone who always buy OnePlus products, buying this TV was on my top priority but it came without Netflix but the team assured us that update will come and after two months of waiting Netflix was released. I was relieved thinking that now this TV consists of all the features I wanted for a perfect TV but from last few weeks I can see that EVERYTIME I opt for 4K Video, there is stuttering like literally after every few seconds. I tried it online on Disney+ Hotstar and stutter is there. I also tried offline 4K 10 bit HDR video and there is stutter even in the offline video. I have tried resetting my TV but there was no luck with that either. I have tried my Home WIFI on 2.4 GHz and 5GHz both but still stutter is there. I don't think this is a connection issue or else offline video would have worked as expected. It is all about how your TV process the 4K Quality videos.

I am sorry but this is UNACCEPTABLE. I have tried to connect with OnePlus Helpline but there is no response so far except future update will fix it. Can you tell me which future update and when you are planning to release it? In 2050 when 2160p will be equivalent to 144p?

What is the point of buying 4K TV for almost INR 1,00,000 if the quality of 4K videos is not even equivalent to INR 10,000.

I am sorry if I sound way too angry but I have been looking for proper response but most importantly a proper fix towards this from past 3 months and that is not fair for someone who is still paying monthly EMI for TV which can't work as promised.

2. Yash Pratap Singh.
    Lollipop Mar 21, 2021

Yash Pratap Singh. , Mar 21, 2021 :
    Hey,
    This is a known issue. Disney+ Hotstar has 4K Dolby playback issues in which video lags/stutters, audio distorts, remote becomes unresponsive, etc. But this issue is from Hotstar's side, OnePlus can't do anything until Hotstar accepts and fixes this issue. You can try clearing cache of Hotstar and see if it helps
    There is no OnePlus team here, only users like you and me and we don't know about any ETAs for updates.
    Can you share a link to the video so that I can check it once on my Q1 TV and let you know if it happens with me also?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021

3. rishabhtandon96 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Mar 21, 2021 :
    Thank you so much for sharing this detailed information. I appreciate it. It is an old movie that I downloaded few months back which is presently not available in India (Rush 2013) in 2160p (4K) Quality, 10 Bit HDR Dolby 5.1 Atmos. Are you sure it is Hotstar fault because this video and Hotstar have the similar type of video configuration and stuttering is same for both cases.
    I agree that my experience on Prime Video and Netflix is mostly pleasant but I want to understand if there are specific 4K videos that work perfectly on OnePlus TV because I have another 4K monitor and in that case, movie works perfectly.

4. Yash Pratap Singh.
    Lollipop Mar 21, 2021

Yash Pratap Singh. , Mar 21, 2021 :
    Welcome!
    Ohh that's heavy...but based on the specs of the Q1, it shouldn't stutter.
    Can you make a video when next time the stuttering happens? Also, try clearing cache of the File Manager before playing the video.
    Yes, there are many other threads on the forum with the same issue. Frankly, Hotstar as a platform is not suitable for high quality content yet...new Marvel shows like WandaVision, Falcon and WS are losing their glamour due to poor optimisation by Hotstar. I hope they fix the issue soon.
    Thanks!

5. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Community Expert Mar 22, 2021

Venky61 , Mar 22, 2021 :
    Hey,
    As @Yash Pratap Singh. rightly mentioned, Hotstar has optimization issues and this is not just limited to OnePlus TV. The moment they switched to 4K and DV, the issues started and they are still pending. Many users have already reported to Hotstar CS and would suggest you to do the same.
    Now coming to the Offline video...For any video playback on a player there 2 things to note. One is the Video codec and the other is the Audio Codec. OnePlus TV has limitations with the later one. If you download the same movie with 10Bit HDR but with a different extension of Atmos audio, it would work smoothly. The feedback has been given almost a year back about this limitation and seems like the team did not figure out a solution. So, to be frank I don't think it will be solved. Initially even .m2ts had same issue and the team finally stopped supporting it's playback.

6. LIJOMathewJacob
    Cupcake Sep 16, 2021

7. Anniesszz , via OnePlus Community App , Sep 19, 2021 :
    I also have this problem, last week got the motherboard replaced and now facing problem with Bluetooth, as soon as Bluetooth earphone is connected stuttering starts on any streaming video.
    I truly made biggest mistake of my life by ignoring reputed brands like Sony or Panasonic.

8. Aman Biwalkar
    Gingerbread Oct 15, 2021