OnePlus TV : Q1 vs Q1 PRO... Which is the right one for you?

?

Which Variant Would You Choose?

1. Q1

2. Q1 Pro

3. Still Confused

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Oct 31, 2019

Venky61 , Oct 31, 2019 :
    Hello Guys,
    It's been almost a month that OnePlus has launched it's first QLED 4K Android TV. There are two variants available in the market, Q1 and Q1 Pro . Many users want to know the exact differences between the both variants in order to make the right choice. Not all the users would have the option to visit an offline store that has both the variants side by side to check the difference. So, I take this opportunity to explain in detail the differences and leave the final decision to you.

PS: I will not be talking if OnePlus TV is good or bad, as that's a totally different topic and I will talk about it somewhere else. This post is for people who have decided to buy a OnePlus TV, but confused between the both variants. I have used both the variants, so sharing my experience here.

cover.jpg
    Let me first start off with stating with what are the similarities in both the variants..... It's almost everything. The Display Panel, Resolution, Processor, RAM, Storage Space, Android Version, Number of Ports, Back design, Bezel thickness, Speaker Wattage, remote, warranty.... Everything is similar.

Then one would start thinking why the Q1 is priced at 69,900/- and Q1 Pro at 99,900/-. Why the price difference. The reason is, there are two major key differences.

1. Table Top Stand
    The table top stand is provided as an accessory only with the Q1 Pro along with the wall mount bracket. Where as for the Q1 buyers only the wall mount bracket is provided for installation. Do note that the table top stand is available to buy for Rs 2990/- from Amazon for the Q1 Users.

Table Top Stand.jpg
    The Table Top stand is easy to install, gives easy access to all the ports, easy to change angle. On the contrary it's not so stable due to the supporting points location. Shakes even with a slight push. So definitely not safe with kids around. My friend's kiddo was at my home last night and I was constantly tracking her movement :p

Wall gap.jpg

The Wall mount on the other hand is quite strong and provides a safe feeling. But the mounting is fixed type with no swivel movement to change the angle or to bring it forward. Because of this it becomes difficult to access the ports once mounted. One has to tilt the TV from the bottom (away from the wall) to get an extra access to the ports. Check the reference picture below. As the OnePlus Tv has VESA mounting, one can always buy a suitable movable wall mount (300 x 200 mm) if necessary. Or buy HDMI and USB extenders.

Tilt.gif

So at the end both the options of mounting have their own Pros and Cons. It boils down to personal choice.

2. Sound Quality
    You must be thinking that I have mentioned Speaker wattage is same, then how come the sound quality is different. Yes, both the variants have Speakers that have a wattage of 50 watts, but the speakers setup is different. Q1 has only 4 speakers out of which 2 are back firing and 2 are down firing. So none of the speakers are basically facing the viewer. The sound reflects from the wall & floor to reach the viewer.

On the other hand Q1 Pro has 8 speakers in total. 6 out of 8 are front firing and 2 are back firing. The speakers are located below the display, facing the viewer with not much of echo/reflection.

Check out this video from 02:24 to know the difference in the sound output in real world. You are welcome to check the video from start :D I tried to show the same differences in a video format.

Isn't the difference very obvious. The sound on the Q1 Pro has more bass and sounds more lively compared to Q1. But believe me, I could not observe the difference when I was watching both the TVs separately. Only when I got the two footages together I could realize the difference. This might be also because am not an Audiophile. So to cut short, a normal user wouldn't find much of a difference unless there's some other equipment beside to compare.

Also putting aside the differences in quality, the massive 50 Watts speakers is definitely a welcome change in the TV market. The Speakers are pretty loud. I have a 8m x6m room and 30% sound volume is more than sufficient for me.

3. Theatricals
    Apart from the above two major differences, there are two other not so useful but attractive features that the Q1 Pro has which aren't available on Q1.

A. Sliding Mechanism on Speakers:
    The Speaker on Q1 Pro is actually placed behind the display just like Q1. But the Q1 Pro speaker has a sliding mechanism with which it slides smoothly to sit below the display and fires the sound towards front. Reminds me of the Pop-Up cameras. OnePlus has said that this mechanism has been tested over 200,000 times. So no worries on it's durability.

slider.gif

B. LED Lights on Speakers:
    The sliding speakers also have LED's built into it which is just an icing on the cake. The light streaks doesn't just lit up during ON/OFF , they also dance to tunes . Yes, you heard it right. The LEDs on Q1 Pro speaker work as visualizers for music when used in the Bluetooth Stereo mode. This has been added in the latest update. Pretty Cool right.

LED.gif

Conclusion
    Is the 30K extra price of Q1 Pro is really worth it? Yes and No. For many users it might not be worth it as there are sound bars/HTS available for lesser cost that can provide a better overall sound. Both the variants are targeted at difference Audience. Q1 Pro suits more for users who do not want to buy a separate Sound Bar or Home Theatre System and enjoy the Premium Sound on the In-Built Sound bar with the attractive LED streaks. Where as Q1 suits for people who do not want to spend extra money for speakers and can adjust with the decent sound that it offers. Also Q1 users have the choice to buy a separate Sound Bar from the brand of their choice to turn up the game if required.This is just my personal opinion.

I hope the comparison clears the doubts for most of the users. Let me know if I missed anything or you want to know more about any variant.

Cheers. :)

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019

2. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer Oct 31, 2019

YRJ , Oct 31, 2019 :
    Excellent comparison @Venky61
    I'm sure this thread will help many make an informed choice.
    Well done :)

Todd W. and Venky61 like this.
  3. Venky61

Venky61 , Oct 31, 2019 :
    Thank you so much... Yes, I really hope that it will help in understanding the difference. Especially when a user is spending 30k extra, they should know what exactly they are getting extra.

YRJ likes this.
  4. Tejas_14
    Eclair Oct 31, 2019

Tejas_14 , Oct 31, 2019 :
    Hey... nice job Venky.
    appreciate your efforts to help users decide between the two.

Venky61 likes this.
  5. Venky61

Venky61 , Oct 31, 2019 :
    Hey ...Thanks @Tejas_14... I thought very little info is available on the net about this and fortunately my friend got the Q1 :)

Tejas_14 likes this.
  6. prasanthsiddarth
    Donut Oct 31, 2019

Venky61 likes this.
  7. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Nov 1, 2019

Venky61 , Nov 1, 2019 :
    Thanks man... Am glad to know that the post has necessary information for user at one place :)

8. Subashdobby
    Gingerbread Nov 1, 2019

Subashdobby , via OnePlus Community App , Nov 1, 2019 :
    nice work @Venky61 , i have settled with q1 + hts which ended up on q1 pro's budget. so q1 pro should be good for those who want to avoid the hassles in buying and wiring a good hts. but if you put a little effort to research for best hts suitable for your hall and don't mind the wirings better settle for q1.

Venky61 likes this.
  9. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Nov 1, 2019

Venky61 , Nov 1, 2019 :
    Thanks bro... And that's a great suggestion... You get 5.1 for the price of 2.1 with some effort.. Sounds fair for some. Do share your experience with the HTS :)

Subashdobby likes this.
  10. Subashdobby
    Gingerbread Nov 1, 2019

Subashdobby , via OnePlus Community App , Nov 1, 2019 :
    sure, if weather is pleasant will be installed tomorrow

11. Helder_DAlmeida
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 13, 2019

Venky61 likes this.
  12. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Nov 13, 2019

Venky61 , via OnePlus Community App , Nov 13, 2019 :
    Hey thanks for reading man [e]1f60a[/e]
    I made it considering myself as the buyer....it was easy that way [e]1f601[/e]

Helder_DAlmeida likes this.
  13. Helder_DAlmeida
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 13, 2019

Venky61 likes this.
  14. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Nov 15, 2019

Venky61 , Nov 15, 2019 :
    That's interesting.. Any particular reason for choosing Q1 Pro over Q1?

15. Helder_DAlmeida
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 15, 2019

Venky61 likes this.

Venky61 and Helder_DAlmeida like this.
  17. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Nov 18, 2019

Venky61 , Nov 18, 2019 :
    Indeed, the sliding bar is an attraction especially with the lights.

The issues exist even in the Q1 Pro. And these will be resolved soon as per the team.

18. F_Akarsh_Acharya_SlAE , via OnePlus 3 , Nov 19, 2019 :
    @venky ....is the next update come with in this month...??

19. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Nov 19, 2019

Venky61 , via OnePlus Community App , Nov 19, 2019 :
    Absolutely no Idea bro... it all depends on the identification of root causes. They would want to resolve as many in one update. Let's hope that it happens this month.

F_Akarsh_Acharya_SlAE likes this.
  20. The Joker
    Marshmallow Dec 6, 2019