OnePlus TV U1S: Beta Testers' Write-Up

1. Batman360
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Jun 19, 2021

Batman360 , Jun 19, 2021 :
    [​IMG]

Reviewers’ Introduction
    Before starting the review, which you all are pretty much excited to read or see as per your preference, I would love for you to know a little about me, the 2 very kind people who helped me with their valuable inputs in this review and why this review is written.

I, @Batman360, am a Software Developer, now pursuing MBA and I love to binge watch shows and movies. According to the list I am maintaining, I have spent in total of 7 months 23 days and 18 hours of my life watching shows and movies. Crazy right!
    @Venky61, who is our OnePlus TV expert is actually an engineer and part-time Youtuber. He loves to dance when he’s in shape and loves to watch movies and shows. Venky being a TV expert, played an important role in this review by correcting and providing the right data and photos, so that none of you guys reading the review are misinformed.
    @Yash Pratap Singh. is a student, currently in class 12th, 2022 batch - studying to be an engineer, and loves food. Yash has provided amazing comparisons and Gifs in this review and formatted the entire thread for better readability.

Now, we have been testing the new OnePlus TV U1S for more than a month and all thanks to the OnePlus TV team for providing us with such an opportunity, and now it’s our time give back something to the community in the form of this review. All you want to know about the new OnePlus TV U1S will be provided to you all in this review.
    So, let’s start!

First Impressions
    Packaging -
    • Getting the 65 inches U1S TV delivered at your doorstep, just to be shocked (in a good way :p) by the size of the packaging, will mark the inception of a new trend. People in my neighborhood turned their heads when the TV was taken out of the delivery van and the look of amazement on their face - Priceless! And if you are using the lift then keep this in mind that the box is so huge that it won't fit in regular sized lifts.
    • It takes two people to carry the TV (3, if you are not that strong). The TV is placed on a wooden stand, with lifted borders to support the carton, above it is placed a big hollow carton with a lid on top and inside that hollow carton, is your U1S TV box which contains the TV itself.
    • So, once you order the TV just sit back and relax because OnePlus took care of the handling safety and will deliver the TV to you in a perfect condition.
    • Now when the hollow carton is taken off, it’s time to open the U1S box which has its features written and drawn all over the carton. It’s like a graffiti is done on the carton, feels really good to look at.
    • This box has 4 locks, 2 on both front and back sides of the carton, these locks are used so that TV outer hollow carton doesn’t come off automatically.
    • When this box is opened you will see Styrofoam casing on the top and on this casing, you will find a wall-mount bracket, nuts and bolts, remote, stands, AAA batteries, Red Cable Club Card, power cable and RCA connectors.
    • When this Styrofoam is removed, you will be able to see the top of the TV and on both vertical sides and on the bottom of the TV you get to see 3 more Styrofoam casing (talk about safety 😉).Taking out the TV is easy too if you have someone to help you.
    So, to summarize - Safety: Check; Ease of carrying: Check; Design of box: Check; Ease of storing the box; Depends on the size of your house and what you plan to do with the box.

[​IMG]

TV -
    • There is this quote which is getting very famous these days: “Beauty comes in all shapes and sizes”, and trust us when we tell you that it fits perfectly in case of OnePlus U1S TV. This TV is available in three sizes and all of them are a piece of art in themselves.
    • We all received a 65 inches TV for testing and when we first saw it coming out of the box, we were awestruck, it looked monumental! And being this big it is still able to maintain its sleekness, it is lightweight, can be easily carried by two people.
    • Instead of calling it a TV, It would be actually fair even if we call it a 65 inches of pure screen with just a minimal frame to hold that massive screen. The bezels are kept bare minimum with the screen-to-body ratio of over 95% to give its users an immersive viewing experience.
    IMG_20210617_182346-02.jpg
    • There are six subtle led lights which are placed at the bottom protrusion, two of which are to be seen when the TV is in off or sleep state and the rest four, when you call for the very own “Hey Google!” or if your mic is turned off.
    • It’s a black beauty that comes with Android 10 out of the box. The sound of this magnificent machinery is now co-tuned with Dynaudio to provide a Theatre like experience.
    • The TV has all ports placed on the right side on the back-plate. The back-side of the TV is identical to the Y series, having a metallic finish.
    • Also, you can even put it on a stand or wall-mount it like an elegant art you just bought. The stand is very sturdy and holds the tall structure pretty well.
    If you all ask us to rate our first impression of the U1S, our cumulative ratings would be 8/10.
    So, this was our First Impression of the Retail packaging and the design of U1S.
    Let’s now move on to what all the TV is loaded with.

Specifications
    We can broadly categorize this section of the review into 5 parts for better understanding as this TV is packed with a bunch of amazing specifications that we don’t want you folks to miss out on.

summary.png

Display -
    • There are 3 different screen sizes for OnePlus TV U1S TV measured diagonally, 50, 55 and 65 inches and all of them have a beautiful 4K resolution (3840 x 2160).
    • And guess what, the screen-to-body ratio goes beyond 95% for these TVs. They all come with LED screens providing vivid picture quality through the Wide Color Gamut with DCI-P3 93%.
    • Thanks to the Gamma Engine in all the 3 variants, you get to see 50+ picture enhancing algorithms like MEMC, Super Resolution, Noise Reduction, Dynamic Contrast, Color Space Mapping, AI PQ, Anti-Aliasing, etc.
    • Coming to HDR compatibility, the OnePlus TV U1S offers HDR10, HLG and HDR10+ certifications for a superior viewing experience.
    Sound -
    • The OnePlus TV U1S provides 30W sound output and only the 65 inches variant has 4-unit speaker system and the rest two variants have 2-unit speaker system each. The 2 extra units in the 65U1S are tweeters.
    • OnePlus has collaborated with Dynaudio for the first time to reduce distortion and provide better balanced sound experience to the users. OnePlus TV U1S also supports Dolby Audio, which enhances the quality of sound output. The speaker type for this series is 2.0 CH.
    Features -
    • The U1S is feature-packed TV, which comes with Android 10 out of the box. This series is made by keeping seamless IoT connectivity in mind, so you can expect to see a smooth connection with your OnePlus Audio devices and wearables such as the OnePlus Buds and the OnePlus Watch for starters.
    • The new OnePlus TV U1S now comes with Speak NowTM feature (Far-field), which will now allow you to control the TV with your voice, just say “OK google” and command your assistant. This smart TV series also provides Smart Casting solutions such as Multicast, Miracast and Chromecast.
    • Even if you have limited internet connectivity, don’t worry, just turn on the Data Saver Plus feature on the TV and customize it accordingly to your data limits and leave the reminder notifications to the TV.
    • The U1S includes a very well-known feature of OnePlus TVs, called Kids Mode and it also has a feature called Gaming Mode, which provides a great gaming experience at a latency less than 15 ms when you connect gaming consoles.
    • OnePlus has also updated it’s Connect App to version 2.0 which now provides: Remote Kids Mode Control, Sleep Timer, File Transfer, One Click background apps cleanup, User Metrics, to name a few.
    • The U1S TV also comes with some pre-installed applications like: YouTube, Netflix, Prime Video, Spotify, Google Play Store, Bluetooth Stereo, File Browser, Weather, OnePlus Pictorial, Camera and last but not the least, OnePlus’ very own OxygenPlay - to show the user a catalogue of smartly curated content based on Sports, Live News, Movies, TV shows, Kids Cartoon and personalize your contents in My Video section.
    Phew! Too many features, right?!

Connectivity -
    • Wi-Fi Standard: 2.4 GHz/5 GHz, 802.11 a/b/g/n.
    • Bluetooth: 5.0.
    • Ethernet Input: 1, RJ45.
    • Smartphone Connect: OnePlus Connect App. (Play Store and App Store link attached.)
    • RF Connection Input: 1 (DVB-T2, DVB-C, ATV).
    • HDMI Input: Three HDMI 2.1 Compatible inputs (HDMI 1 with eARC).
    • AV Input: 1 (Mini 3 in 1).
    • Digital Audio Output: 1, Optical.
    • SoC: MT9612
    • RAM + ROM: 2GB + 16GB
    • USB Port: Two USB 2.0 ports.
    Other Specifications -

screenshot_20210616-112159__01__01.jpg

Voltage:
    100 – 240V ~ 50/60 Hz

Power Consumption:
    65 inches variant: 215W
    55 inches variant: 165W
    50 inches variant: 140W

Contents in the box:

image (1).png

• Remote (RC-004D)
    • 2x AAA Batteries
    • AC Power Cord
    • AV in Adapter
    • Table-top Stand
    • Wall-Mount
    • User Manual & Warranty Card.
    That was it for the specifications of the OnePlus TV U1S.
    (Note: You can also find these specifications in a tabular manner in the comparison image attached within this thread)

TV Software & Remote Review

Click here

Camera Review

Click here

Hardware, Sound & Picture Quality Review

Click here

Things we loved, Areas of improvement, Comparison, Verdict and Video Review

Click here.

Video Review

Tips & Tricks

Click here.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021

2. Batman360
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Jun 21, 2021

Stickied Post
    Batman360 , Jun 21, 2021 :
    TV Software Review
    This section is made keeping in mind to give you all an in-depth perception of how good or bad the OnePlus TV U1S software is.

As you all know from the previous sections that the TV running on Android 10, along with the enhanced security due to it, there are other functionalities that has been implemented on this TV Series. Now, allow me to provide you with feedbacks on these functionalities that you would use and notice during your daily TV usage.

Google Duo Video Calling-

screenshot_20210616-113925__01 (1).png

• With the launch of OnePlus’ very own webcam, the video calling via Google Duo is now possible on the U1S TV itself. You can now talk to your loved ones on TV, now with wider viewing range and bigger screen.
    • Though the usage of this feature is less as one won’t want others to see how messy their room is. :p I would have preferred Zoom integration though, with virtual background on or video off.
    • With Google Duo now available to install on the U1S, I don’t think other video calling apps availability is far away. The Google Duo app works as expected, calls are being made and received is expected manner, it all comes down to the network speed which is the deciding factor for the lag during these calls.
    • Although the OnePlus TV Camera comes with 1080P resolution, but with the limitation of Google Duo, one can only get 720P resolution while using it.
    OxygenPlay 2.0-

screenshot_20210616-120359 (2).png

• This app is created by OnePlus especially for their TV. It will come up when you press “1+” logo button on the remote. Here you will get to see the contents of various OTT and music apps filtered and sorted by contents like: sports, live TV, kids, music, movies, shows; genres, OTT and music apps, languages, paid and free content and what not!
    • This app also has a global search feature which searches within every apps for the title you are looking for and provides you with appropriate results within seconds. It also has a status bar on the top right corner which shows Data Saver Plus settings, login status of your OnePlus account, Settings icon which take you on settings menu when clicked, Wi-Fi status, weather and local time.
    • On OxygenPlay, you will also find a tab named “My Videos”, where you can see your Watch history, add/remove content from Watchlist, add/removes reminders for new shows/movies, rate your favorite shows/movies and more. The most important feature that I use in this tab is adding the contents that I love in watchlist and the watch history to continue the show from where I left it off. And if you don’t like anything in here you can always go on the Android TV Home by pressing home button on the remote.
    screenshot_20210616-120522__01 (1).png

Personalization -

screenshot_20210616-110729__01 (1).png

There is a “Personalise” section in Settings menu, which I mostly use to change screensaver settings in previous version of OnePlus TV, but this new U1S has brought many customization options such as -
    • Built-in Chromecast: This lets the user to cast the screen of their phones/mobile on TV, and also allows Laptop/PC users to cast their screen to TV by selecting ‘Cast’ option on Google Chrome.
    • Quick discover: With the help of which the OnePlus phone can quickly discover the TV, right now this feature is implemented on OnePlus phones running on OxygenOS 11.3 and above. There is also an option to let some devices allow/disallow to use this Quick discover too. Though, we did not get the opportunity to test this feature. Will update you regarding this when any one of our phone gets that update.
    screenshot_20210616-110735__01 (1).png
    • Auto discover nearby OnePlus Earbuds: This feature, I’m personally a fan of. As soon I open my Buds and Buds Z cases the TV discovers them so quick and gets connected to them by just pressing “OK’ button on the remote. This feature shows that how seriously OnePlus is taking building an IoT ecosystem. This features also shows how much battery is left on both your earbuds and the case, just like on OnePlus phones. Pretty neat addition in my opinion. What do you guys think?
    Data Saver Plus -

screenshot_20210613-125633 (1).png

This feature can be found under the “Network & Internet” setting and I have personally used it a loT.
    • I regularly have Wi-Fi connection issues due to which I have to switch on the mobile hotspot which has 2 GB/day data limit and we all know while watching shows/movies in HD, 2 GB data goes within 20-30 minutes.
    • Now, this feature comes to the rescue - when I switch on the Data Saver Plus and set bandwidth control to low or medium (which helps to run all videos in low resolution by default) and also set data usage notification alerts after every 500 MB of data used, then select the apps for which data won’t be used when they run in background, I’m able to go on watching shows/movies for an extended period of 10-12 hours.
    • I’m really thankful for this feature without this I would have felt like a caveman with nothing left to do for entertainment when my 2 GB/day data vanishes in thin air.
    • Here in this feature you could even see how much data has been used in a month - a proper chart and table is maintained for better analysis of your data usage.
    screenshot_20210613-125651 (1).png

And the rest as features which are already there on OnePlus TV like setting Screensaver (in-built apps like Backdrop and OnePlus Pictorial, or 3rd party apps) and its start and sleep timer settings; ‘Input Source Memory’ which allows the TV to directly enter the most recent used input source when it is started and ‘Font Switch’ which lets you switch the TV fonts, right now there are only 2 fonts (Roboto and OnePlus SlateTM), but I really hope OnePlus introduces more Fonts for the TV.
    Android TV Home-

screenshot_20210616-111008 (1).png

This launcher we are all familiar with, anyone who owns an android TV must have used this launcher atleast once.
    • Here you can speak to search for the results you are looking for or type it, customise your home page by arranging, adding and removing apps according to your preferences.
    • Play Next feature, which shows the user what they left off, so that they can continue watching it from there.
    • You can find Google Play Store here too. System Time, System Settings and Wi-Fi status can be opened from Android TV Home too.
    • In addition to that the user can directly enter the Kids mode by clicking on the “Restricted Profile” icon on the top right corner and can also select their preferable inputs.
    Most of the time I use Android TV Home rather than using OxygenPlay, as I think it is convenient and easy to use.

Remotes and Accessories-

screenshot_20210616-111124__01__01 (1).png

This is a combined Bluetooth accessories section, from where the user can pair the Bluetooth of the TV remote and also see the battery status and other information of the remote and also connect their other Bluetooth accessories such as speakers, earbuds, watches, etc. Although the user won’t be able to see the battery status of those accessories in this section, hopefully OnePlus adds it in their future updates.
    • Earphones, as we all know can be connected to the TV via Bluetooth to listen music or watch movies/shows, but this time OnePlus has launched a watch with a feature on Connect TV.
    screenshot_20210616-163402 (1).png

• When the watch is connected to the TV, and this feature is opened, the OnePlus Watch acts like a navigational pad, with other features likes TV sleep mode on/off, auto-dim which automatically makes the TV go into the sleep mode when the user is detected by the watch to be asleep and auto-volume adjustment when there is an incoming call.
    [​IMG]
    • All these watch features work smoothly but there is a slight audio delay when the TWS earphones and wireless earphones are connected, but this delay can be corrected using the Audio delay and SPDIF delay adjustment given under Sound Settings.
    Kids Mode-

screenshot_20210616-104138__01__01 (1).png
    Kids mode is useful in 2 cases, one, if you have a kid in the house and second, if you have relatives with kids coming over (if you know what I mean 😉).
    • It basically restricts the usage of a TV and these restrictions can be decided by parents, guardians or the owner of the TV.
    • Restrictions includes, limiting apps, limited settings options, requires PIN set by the owner/parents/guardians to come out of the Kids Mode, restriction of TV usage with the help of timer which when triggered asks for the same PIN to continue watching the TV.
    • The owner/parent/guardian can also switch on the Eye-protection mode in Kids Mode, so that the kids don’t strain their eyes. Though this Eye-protection mode is not of any importance if the kid can change the picture settings while in Kids Mode, which is the current scenario.
    Apart from the above mentioned restrictions, the Kids Mode works perfectly fine and your kid will be in safe hands when this mode is on.

Wireless Screen Casting-

img_20210613_130014-01 (1).jpeg

The OnePlus TV U1S TV provides and allows 4 types of castings, namely: Miracast, Chromecast, DLAN casting and Multicast.
    • All these casting solutions lets the user to mirror their device’s screen on TV, devices like: smartphone, laptop, tablets, etc.
    • Though you may see some lags during casting, which is natural, for laptop casting I would suggest get an HDMI cable, for rest the job would be done with minor lags which can be ignored.
    Hands free Google Assitant: Speak NowTM -

[​IMG]

A very amazing software feature added to the U1S this time. A far-field mic is placed at the bottom of the TV for Hands-free control. I was waiting for something like this to get implemented since long.
    • I use it multiple times during the day, whether to open any app, listen to music, listen to news or know about the weather.
    • It’s Google Assistant but it now gets triggered on TV, just by saying “OK Google” or “Hey Google”, without having to touch any button or even lift your hand.
    • The Far Field Mic of the TV which can be switch on and off with the toggle switch given below the TV, is really responsive, the voice recognition is absolutely perfect.
    • The user has to say “Ok Google” with a normal pitch voice to activate Google Assistant, the sensitivity of voice recognition is kept at medium level to avoid accidental triggering of the assistant. But occasionally it may pickup the voice from the content that is being played.
    Now the wall with the TV literally has ears. 😉

OnePlus Connect App compatibility-

Lost your remote between those sofa cushions? Younger siblings fighting with you for TV remote? Parents hidden your remote so that you can’t watch TV? Worry not, because OnePlus gave the solution for these problems and named it OnePlus Connect App.
    With this app the user can control their TV with their smartphones, but this is not just a remote control app, it shows and does a lot more than just being a remote control. This app includes features like:
    • Explore Page: Here the user can find app recommended latest movies and can also search for their favorite content.
    screenshot_20210616-104414__01 (2).jpg
    • Local video folder: In the tab, the user will find all the videos stored on their smartphone which can be directly played on the TV screen.
    screenshot_20210613-130249__01 (1).jpg

• Sleep Timer: User can set the TV sleep mode timer remotely via the Connect App.
    screenshot_20210616-114103__01 (1).jpg

• User Metrics: Here, user will be able to see the total data usage of their OnePlus TV with the help of a given bar graph and table. The user can also see the TV’s screen-on time and time spent on various apps.
    screenshot_20210613-130305__01 (1).jpg screenshot_20210613-130308__01 (1).jpg

• Brand new File Transfer: With the help of this new feature, now the user will be able to share the media files such as audio, photos and videos directly from their smartphones to their OnePlus TV. The size of transferable files is anything less than 200 MB.
    screenshot_20210616-105810__01 (1).jpg

• Clear background apps: One tap solution to clear all the apps running in background from the TV, just tap on this option and your job is done.
    screenshot_20210616-105804__01 (1).jpg

• Mirror cast and Multicast: Mirror cast will help the user to cast their single device, for example only one smartphone to the TV. On the other hand, with Multicast, the user can cast multiple devices to the TV, maximum number of devices/smartphones that can be casted using this feature are 2.
    screenshot_20210616-104439__01 (1).jpg

• History: Here user can find their TV watch history and play the content from where they left off from their Connect App itself.
    • Brand new Kids Mode: This feature is added on the Connect App too, so that parents, guardians or owner of the TV can have a remote access to this Mode, and if the Kids Mode is setup on the TV, the user can switch the mode on and off without entering the PIN.
    screenshot_20210616-105624__01 (1).jpg

• Smart Volume Control: With this feature switched on in the Connect app, whenever a call is received on the phone, the TV volume automatically goes down to 10%, and comes back up once the call has ended.
    screenshot_20210616-105757__01 (1).jpg

• Takes screenshot of the TV screen: This feature is in remote section of the app, with the help of which you can take the screenshot of the TV screen (excluding the OTT apps due to DRM Protection). You can also choose to include or exclude the TV frame from the screenshot.
    • Quick Switch Section: This section is also to be found in the app’s remote control, with the help of which the user can open the apps installed on the TV directly from the Connect App by tapping on the respective app icon.
    screenshot_20210616-104401__01 (1).jpg

File Manager-

screenshot_20210616-114301 (1).png

This app, you will find pre-installed on OnePlus TV U1S and also on previous generation of OnePlus TVs. With the help of this app, you can see what all media files you have transferred to the TV, using File Transfer from Connect App or any third-party app, or any external storage. This apps includes:
    • Devices: In this section you will get to see an internal storage, where you can see all the files installed in the system and other external storage devices if attached to the TV.
    • Images: Here you will see all the images in stored in the TV (if external storage is attached then images in that too will be shown here). You can open the image, zoom, rotate and much more stuffs.
    • Videos: And this section does the same but for video files. Here you can also play the video files using TV’s default video player.
    • Audio: Similar to the image, this section also does the same for audio files, you can also play music saved on your TV or external storage by using default music player.
    • File Sharing: The file explorer has a ‘Share To Phone’ feature which makes it really easy to share media files like photos and videos directly from TV to phone by scanning a QR code.
    Camera Application-

The OnePlus TV U1S now has an inbuilt camera app which allows you to click pictures and record videos.
    screenshot_20210616-113512__01 (1).png

• It has a simple and easy to use UI with basic function buttons on the bottom and access to camera settings just by clicking the menu button on the remote
    • The Camera App has some other settings, like - Timer - which can help to delay the clicking of pictures on the basis of time set by the user (1s, 2s, 3s, etc.), Shutter Sound toggle - which turns the shutter click sound on/off, Date Stamp - displays a watermark on the bottom right corner with the date of image creation, and Shot On OnePlus Watermark - which displays the OnePlus TV Camera watermark in the bottom left corner of the image.
    • The photos clicked are post processed to make them more vivid when viewing them on the TV. All photos clicked from the camera app are directly stored in the internal storage of TV and can be accessed through file explorer and also can be shared to your phone by scanning QR code.
    • The videos recorded by the camera app have a maximum time limit of 3 minutes.
    • It has some pre-loaded fun photo frames which can be accessed from bottom right option - however, we’ll love to have more photo frames added to camera app in the future updates.
    screenshot_20210616-113602__01 (1).png

• The camera app, however, had a lag in footage - around 0.7 -0.8 ms lag was observed. But since its just for casual photo clicking and video recording, this should not interfere with the usage of the app.

Bug Report-

If you encounter any issue with the TV or apps on the TV, you can go in this section to report the bug.
    • You can report these bugs either from TV or from the OnePlus Connect App from on your smartphone.
    • Path to report bug on TV: Settings >More Setting > Report Bug > Choose Issue Type > Press OK button on the remote.
    screenshot_20210616-110143__01 (1).png
    • Path to report bug from OnePlus Connect App: Open app > Tap on Profile > Select TV issue feedback option > Select Issue type > Elaborate the issue and attach a picture showing the bug (optional) > Tap on Report button.
    screenshot_20210616-110320__01 (1).jpg

Remote Review

img_20210616_102227__01 (1).jpg

What’s black, sleek, has buttons, even has Bluetooth, NFC, mic and runs on AAA batteries? That’s correct, the new OnePlus TV U1S remote.
    • The remote has total 11 buttons and circular D-pad, enclosing the “OK” Button.
    • This remote feel clicker, there is a satisfying feeling when the buttons are pressed, you could even use this remote as a fidgeting device - yes, it’s that relaxing!
    • You guys must be thinking why is NFC there on the remote, so this feature is under development as of now and the TV Ninjas have provided some amazing ideas for this remote feature, so, stay tuned, will update the feature here once developed.
    • Once the TV is installed and powered on, you will first need to pair this remote with the TV. The steps to pair the remote will be shown on TV, but let me guide you here too, keep the remote at a distance of 50cm or less from the TV and press and hold the “Ok” and the “Home” button simultaneously.
    • You can also pair the remote by going to TV Settings > Remotes & Accessories > Remote Control.
    Now, let me show the function of each button to you (you can find this in E-manual on the TV unit):

screenshot_20210612-003000 (1).png

Gor.V, Khushii21, NaXal and 15 others like this.
  3. Yash Pratap Singh.
    Lollipop Jun 23, 2021

Stickied Post
    Yash Pratap Singh. , Jun 23, 2021 :
    OnePlus TV Camera Review

[​IMG]
    Hey everyone!

In this pandemic situation, video calling from phones became really common for casual purposes and video meetings from laptops/PC was considered the new normal for offices/students.
    But, what about video calling via TV? It has bigger screen, great colour accuracy and better audio, making it a great platform for doing video calls.
    And most TVs don’t have an in-built camera, so, OnePlus thought, if we’re gonna release a TV, why not release a webcam for it too?

So hello again everyone, my name is Yash and welcome to my review of the OnePlus TV Camera!
    Before starting, I would like to thank two other guys, @Venky61 and @Batman360, who helped me with their valuable inputs to make this review possible. You can read our introduction in the first post.

Unboxing

upload_2021-6-23_12-55-55.png
    Front side
    The camera comes in a box which is identical to the packaging of the OnePlus Buds and the Buds Z. It has a minimalistic white/black/red design. A trace of front view of the actual product, the TV Camera, is drawn on the front.

Back Side

The back of the box has all the information regarding the camera, weight, dimensions, MRP, SKU, etc. A hang tab is present on the top of the box, probably for hanging it in the OnePlus stores.

[​IMG]
    Unboxing

Unboxing experience is neat, simply pull the red box from the bottom, and you’ll see the camera folded to occupy less space and make the box compact.
    The cables are in other compartment, inside a plastic wrap, pretty simple unboxing 😉

Overall, I like the box design, keeping the flow of ‘minimalism’ throughout the product, outside and inside the box.

Specifications

TL;DR - Good specs for the price, FHD 25fps, 2MP camera
    • Optical Sensor Resolution - 2 Million Pixels (2MP)
    • Focus - Fixed Focus
    • Image Output Resolution - Full HD 1920 x 1080p
    • Image Output Aspect Ratio - 16:9, widescreen
    • Image Output Format - JPEG
    • Video Output Resolution- 1080P
    • Video Output FPS - 25fps
    • Video Output Format - MP4
    • Microphone-2 mics, Noise cancellation
    • Connector Type - USB Type-A
    • Platform Compatibility - Android TV 8.0 or above, Windows 7/10
    • Dimensions - 80 x 35.1 x 67.1 mm
    • In the Box - USB-Camera, USB-Cable, User-Guide
    Design

TL;DR - Premium design, lightweight plastic, minimalistic and with a grey-black finish. A USB C port in the back for connection

[​IMG]
    360° View

In one word, the camera design is....minimalistic . The corners are cut in such a way that when they're seen from the front, they look like a sharp rectangle, but when seen from the sides, you'll notice the rounded corners . The colour is black and grey. This gives a compact and premium design to the camera. And it is so lightweight due to the plastic finish that you wouldn't notice the weight of the camera even if you attach it to a laptop.

Magnetic Dock/Holder -
    There's a magnetic holder attached to the arm of the camera which makes it easy to setup, simply place the main module on the top bezel of screen (TV/Laptop) and press the arm to the back panel of the TV/Laptop screen so that it magnetically attaches itself. The magnet is really strong, which prevents any wobbling/shaking after the camera has been setup. Also, the magnetic holder is covered with a rubber padding to prevent damage to the back panel of your device.
    Pros -
    • Less effort required to dock the camera.
    • The magnet is strong, doesn’t wobble much.
    • If the camera is attached to a TV with a metal back-plate (like the U1S), then the camera is tightly fixed.
    Cons -
    • No clamping mechanism for extra safety of camera
    • If back-plate of the TV/Laptop is non-metallic, like the Q series TV, then the camera needs to be adjusted by pressing the front and back dock tightly so that it doesn’t wobble.

Connectivity -
    The camera has USB A connector so that you can use with other devices like laptop/desktop. The cable is detachable from camera. As the camera has Type-C port in the back, you can use the Type-C to Type-A ports of your phones which is convenient in case the original cable is missing.

Pros-

• The cable is really long, and so there is no problem in docking it to large TVs also (65 inches U1S also faces no problem with camera cable length).
    • Phone’s USB C charging cable can also be used if Camera’s cable is lost or unavailable.
    Cons-
    • The terminals of the USB cable are stretched downwards, this may lead to excessive bending of the cable terminals if the camera is left permanently attached.
    Back USB C Port

Easily Attaches to Back of the TV
    Camera Hinge -
    The camera is attached to the camera limb via a Hinge mechanism, which can help the user to adjust the positioning and inclination even if the camera is fully-magnetically docked to the TV/Laptop because the hinge is protruded above the docking limb and so, it provides a basic, quick and easy adjustment. It doesn’t matter if your TV is mounted/placed high or low from the ground, you can simply tilt the camera up and down as per your convenience.

[​IMG]
    Easy Up/Down Movement

Physical Shutter & Indicator Light -
    upload_2021-6-23_13-26-13.png
    Front View of Camera

This is an amazing feature in the camera. You can simply close the shutter towards the left so that the Camera lens is covered, thus it gives you access to your privacy, in your hands.

Now even if you're attending Zoom in half-sleep and think that you might sleep on the keyboard by mistake to press Alt+V and turn on the video, you're saved by this shutter....sounds too specific? Been there, done that.
    For TVs, as most of the time your camera will be connected to it while the TV is being used for playing content, the shutter makes you feel safe.
    [​IMG]
    Shutter Movement

There is also a white indicator light in the camera which turns on whenever the camera is in use. And it blinks once when the camera detects a power source connected, when you plug in the USB to your laptop/PC/TV.
    [​IMG]
    Indicator Light when Camera is ON

Photo/Video Quality

TL;DR - Overall, a good quality camera if the apps support high quality calls, lack of autofocus is a disadvantage if users are using the camera by connecting it with the USB of the laptop, but if user is more than 50cm away from the screen, then there’s no issue, video clarity is good.
    Since this Camera is supposed to be used as a webcam for video calling, we’ll not elaborate on the topics such as colour accuracy or zooming capabilities, etc.
    To describe the capability of camera in video calls in one sentence, we’d say that it is, delivering the essentials really good.

Now, elaborating on some important requirements in a video call and explaining how the camera handles them -

Sharpness & Quality -
    • The camera is Full HD 1080p, so quality doesn’t get compromised during video calls. And if the app used for calling supports high quality FHD video calls, then the camera works like a charm!
    • The camera can give a sharp focus on the main subject (you) if you’re sitting within a range of 0.5m, 4m. If you’re sitting less than 0.5m away or more than 4m away, then the camera will not be able to give a completely sharp view, due to the lack of auto-focus.
    • Since the camera is dedicated for TVs, this is not an issue because it has taken into account the distance at which the viewer sits from the TV, and it has managed to do it well. So, for video calling via TV, you’ll get a good clarity and focus with no problems at all.
    • However if you’re using it with a laptop/PC you may have to adjust your distance from the webcam by a little distance to get maximum clarity.
    upload_2021-6-23_13-27-52.png
    Photo from OnePlus TV Camera app
    Smoothness -
    • The camera supports 25 fps of video recording, so during video calls, the movements and smoothness doesn’t have any problems if the video calling app is good and supports high quality calling
    • While using the camera with the TV, there were absolutely no issues with the smoothness of the calls, a 10/10 experience with the 25 fps camera. The videos recorded were smooth, the video calls looked good even if you kept moving around the room.
    • However, a bit of a drag was observed in footage details if you were close to the camera (around 0.5 to 1m) but this was noticable only if the video is slowed down, so not an issue for video-calling.
    Overall, the smoothness of the camera is the best point of the product, 25 fps video looks great and 1080p clarity makes it a good camera for video calling.
    [​IMG]
    Video (converted to GIF) from Camera App (may appear a bit grainy due to compression)

Audio Recording Quality

The camera has two noise cancellation mic on both sides of the lens groove.
    • The mic’s noise cancellation works good if you are in a closed room, it manages to cut-off the background noise so that the voice is heard clearly, however if you’re sitting with the door open, the mic sometimes picks up background noise such as birds chirping, a little bit of fan noise, etc.
    • However, I noticed that the sound cut-off in between if we varied the distance between me and the mic. For example, if you are speaking and lean back on your chair, the voice cuts in between instead of volume going low.
    Overall, the mic is quite responsive, and actively detects and transmits your voice in a meeting without any problem.

OnePlus TV Apps Performance

Note - The handsome guy in the photos is @Venky61, and all photos were taken at a distance of 5-6 ft away from the Camera when connected to TV

upload_2021-6-23_12-55-56.png
    We tested the camera by attaching it to the USB port of the OnePlus Q1 TV and the OnePlus U1S TV. Both TVs showed similar performance of the camera with different apps, even though the Q1 was running Android TV 9 and the U1S was running Android TV 10.
    Here are the experiences with different apps:

OnePlus TV Camera App -
    The OnePlus TV Camera app is able to record videos and click photos, just like a simple camera app, but has some fun photo-frames too.
    • The quality of photos clicked were good and after a little processing with the camera app, the images looked vivid and colourful (even though the camera's hardware wasn't much focused on colour).
    • The photos, however, looked pixelated while viewing them on the TV, probably because the camera had lesser megapixels and photos were viewed on a 4K 65 and 55 inches TV.
    • The camera app faced some lag in viewfinder screen, but since the camera is attached and stationary on the top of the TV, this was not an issue which interfered with the usage.
    • Video recording by camera app was....sadly, on the negative side, the camera app recorded videos in a maximum resolution of 640 X 480 even though the camera is 1920 X 1080. The video recording duration was also limited to 3 minutes only (probably due to the less storage left from 16GB in the TV after system occupied storage)
    Frames in camera app

Google Duo -
    Google Duo app on the OnePlus TV works pretty well with the camera. Though the Duo app will need some improvements from Google’s side, like fixing some bugs in the app, but if we leave the bugs aside, the app is great and easy to use.
    • The quality of video was enough to make a video call with a clear focus on the subject (you, the one who’s making the call) but again, the footage looked pixelated on the large screen.
    • The camera’s microphones were quite responsive and did a good job clearing the background noises even if you were sitting around 4 metres away from it and transmitting good quality audio to the receiver.
    • Surprisingly, Google Duo had a really less lag compared to Camera app. To some people who’ll not observe it closely, the lag will be unnoticeable.
    Google Duo App

Additional Apps and OS Test

Apart from the standard apps like Camera and Google Duo on the OnePlus TV, we tested the camera with some other apps, also available on the Android TV Play Store -

Jami & Trueconf -
    Jami and Trueconf are two other video calling apps on the Android TV’s Google Play Store. They both had similar quality in video calling but Trueconf’s UI and app design was much easier to use and better than Jami.
    • The fps of video from the camera was at a good 20-25 fps. The lag observed was almost the same as Google Duo, about 0.3 seconds, so it wasn’t a problem
    • The quality of footage was great, however, any object placed in the background beyond 4 meters had a pixelated boundary detailing in the video.
    • Comparing Trueconf and Jami, I found Trueconf’s colours to look better and more vivid compared to Jami.
    Jami App
    Inkedscreenshot_20210623-074010_LI.jpg
    TrueConf App
    Windows 10 -
    Since the Camera has USB Type-A connection cable, we can use the camera with a laptop/PC too. We tested the camera with a Windows 10 laptop and used some major Video Calling apps.
    • Windows 10 Camera App - The in-built camera app on Windows 10 was able to use the full potential of the camera, it recorded videos in Full HD resolution, 1920 x 1080 and at 25 fps. The quality was great, and the recorded videos/clicked photos looked really well on the laptop’s 14 inch screen. Some drag was observed in the details of objects when they were moved in front of the camera, kept under 0.5m from the object.
    upload_2021-6-23_13-28-59.png
    Windows 10 Camera App
    • Zoom App - the Zoom app on Windows 10 requires a little tweak in settings to give the best video output. Under Video Settings → ‘Enable HD’ should be checked, and post processing features like ‘Touch up my appearance’ should be turned off to provide sharp videos with clear backgrounds. Audio quality was good, but it picked a little more noise from the surroundings, compared to usage on TV.
    Zoom App
    • Skype - Zoom and Skype showed similar quality of video, but Skype had a major advantage because it allowed the user to change advanced settings of the video. There was an option to change sharpness of the video, and if you set that around 70, you’d get the best quality out of the camera.
    Skype App
    • MS Teams - The experience with MS Teams was really smooth. The picture quality was identical to other apps on Windows 10, but smoothness of the footage was noticed more on this app, even though the network was same.
    upload_2021-6-23_13-29-13.png
    Microsoft Teams
    Ubuntu (and similar distributions) -
    According to the specs, the camera isn’t compatible with other OS except Android TV and Windows 7/10
    However, I found no difference in the quality of video and audio while using video-calling apps.
    So if you’re looking to purchase the camera for a Ubuntu (or other similar based OS like Lubutu, etc) device, and are worried due to incompatibility mentioned, forget that, the camera works really well with it, based on my experience, without any issues.

Verdict
    Overall, I can say that the camera is totally worth the price, providing great quality FHD video with a smooth 25 fps experience. Even though the spec-sheet mentions compatibility with Android TV OS only, as mentioned in the review above, it is compatible with Windows 10 and Ubuntu too. I use the camera daily, attached to Laptop for classes, and it works great.:cool:
    For TVs, the Google Duo app needs support for Full HD resolution, since it displays only 720p video ;)

Thanks to @Venky61 for sharing screenshots and camera unit photos, @Batman360 for giving his inputs and fixing errors in the review and @Sarah P. & Gracie from the TV team for clicking the photos for the GIF :D

Thanks for reading the review, hope you guys enjoyed it :)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021

4. Batman360
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Jun 25, 2021

Stickied Post
    Batman360 , Jun 25, 2021 :
    TV Hardware Review
    Speakers-

[​IMG]
    • I received 65 inches variant of U1S - 65U1S, in which there is a four unit-speaker system with 30W sound output. The rest of the variants, 50U1S and 55U1S have 2 speaker units. The two extra speaker units in the 65U1S are additional tweeters.
    • This speaker units are placed in a stereo box design cabinet, which results in ‘sympathetic vibrations’. These speakers can get really loud and you can even feel the vibration of the sound on where you are sitting.
    • Unlike OnePlus Q1 Pro, the speakers are hidden back, inside the body of OnePlus TV U1S, and are bottom firing.
    Body frame-

img_20210616_154515-1 (1).jpg

• The bottom of the frame of U1S is made of metal, giving a really smooth metallic finish to it, making it feel premium, with the OnePlus logo in the bottom middle of the frame and ‘Co-tuned with Dynaudio’ written on the bottom corner of the frame and also a slight protrusion on the bottom where the IR receiver is with 6 LED lights.
    • The back panel though doesn’t seem to be so premium, as it appears to be made from a thinner metal casing which helps in cost-cutting and also makes the U1S lighter, but again you don’t have to see the back, do you? As the back is usually faced against the wall so it doesn’t matter much until and unless you get to pay less. 😉
    • The screen frame bezels are not really great in quality, and have a plastic-like feel unlike the metal bezels/frame of OnePlus Q1 series and U1 TV.
    Screen-
    • The screen of U1S is a 4K UHD LED screen. The size of 65 inches variant feels humongous. It will surely turn the room it is in, into an art gallery.
    • Due to the screen size, the videos and images in the TV looks life-like. If it weren’t for the bezel-less design, the TV wouldn’t have looked this good, such thin bezels with more than 95% screen-to-body ratio is to die for.
    • This screen consists of 8.3 million pixels with DCI-P3 93% as well as Delta E<2 rating which helps in brilliant color reproduction.
    • It also has 10-bit color depth which shows over a billion colors, which helps in giving its user vibrant visual experience.
    LEDs-

[​IMG]

• The OnePlus TV U1S have 6 front facing LED lights and all of them placed in the bottom protrusion of the TV. Two LEDs in each corner of the protrusion and the rest four circular LEDs in the middle of those two.
    • The middle four LEDs are for Speak NowTM feature, when the Far Field Mic is on, these four LEDs shows white light when the Google Assistant is triggered by “Ok Google” and shows orangish-yellow light constantly when the Far Field Mic is off.
    • When the TV is in Power Off mode, the corner two LEDs will constantly show white light and when the TV is in Sleep mode, these 2 LEDs will go dim, then bright, then dim again - in small periodic intervals, which will give a feeling that the TV is breathing. We call it the Breathing Effect :p
    Buttons & Switches-

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-25 at 11.54.16.jpeg

• The U1S has a power on/off button below the TV and also a toggle switch beside it, which when on, turns on the Far Field Mic of the TV and when off, turns off the Far Field Mic of the TV.
    • The power button is a push to turn the TV on/off and the mic toggle disables the mic when you slide it to the left and enables it if you slide it towards right.
    Ports-

img_20210616_093536 (1).jpg

• Now, coming to the rear end of the TV, there are multiple ports to be seen.
    • Three HDMI 2.1 compatible, with HDMI 1 supporting eARC and all support CEC ports; two USB 2.0 Port; one AV input (mini 3 in 1); one port for inserting power cable and one Ethernet Port.
    • All these ports are very well placed, with power cable port on the right and rest of the ports on the left.
    TV Stand-

image (5).png

• The combined weight of these metallic stands are 200 gm. They are as sturdy as they are stable. They can hold the TV on them quite easily and keep it stable. The material of the stand looks minimalistic - and matches with the bottom bezel of the TV. The metallic stands have a rubber padding in the bottom to prevent damage to the stands or the table.
    • The good part about having the TV on these stands is that you can easily move the TV from one room to another without any difficulties.
    Wall-Mount-

img_20210616_101904__01 (1).jpg

• The wall-mount bracket that comes inside the box is a straight metallic structure with nuts and bolts included.
    • There are 8 holes in the wall-mount bracket, that means you have to finalize the place for wall-mounting the TV and not move it anywhere else so that the holes are drilled at once on the wall, because the number of holes to be done on the wall are a lot, so think carefully where to place the TV before wall-mounting it.

[​IMG]

P.S. For clearer video click here.

Talking about the picture quality, I would say according to the price range, the picture quality of the U1S is really good. The black looks crisp, but again there is always room for improvement. It definitely has a wide range of colors giving the user a vibrant visual experience, also, the viewing angles are really great on the U1S.
    If you ask if I dislike anything about the picture quality, I would say only a few things such as the HDR mode, the dark scenes get really darker here, close to not being visible, which I think needs tweaking. There are lots of Picture settings for the new U1S U TV series, but for a normal user, pre-set picture modes will help a lot too without much adjustments. Now, let me enlighten you with the features that a user would be using in day-to-day usage and how these features perform:

screenshot_20210616-115126__01 (1).png

Backlight -

Now that this feature has been decoupled from the picture mode adjustments, user can set it to whatever brightness they prefer their screen to be, without it being changed when the picture modes are changed.
    • When you are watching the TV with all the lights in your room, off, you can keep the backlight at 20-30% and with the lights on, you can keep the backlight above 50% for comfortable viewing experience. But again, you can change it to according to your preference.
    • When the TV is switched on for the first time, the brightness is set to 100%, so you may feel a slight discomfort while looking at the screen, so to correct that you can change the backlight brightness by using this feature.
    • I would’ve loved it if it was more customizable by giving two options “Day” and “Night” and in here we can put in the values at which we want the brightness to be during any time of the day. But I don’t mind not having it too, as I change the backlight brightness once a day.
    Global Dimming -

With the help of this feature the dark scene gets darker and the bright scene gets brighter.
    • I don’t use this feature much as the OTT apps providers provides accurate amount of brightness to the scenes that are being played on the U1S.
    • But when I use it, I keep it at “Low” setting, as there are 4 options in it: High, Medium, Low and Off. I will not recommend keeping it at “High” setting as when the dark/night scene arrives, you won’t be able to see what’s happening on the TV screen, while keeping it at “Low” settings will not make that much of an impact but sure does help in enhancing the viewing experience in bright scenes a bit.
    Picture Modes:

screenshot_20210616-115138__01 (1).png

This part is where magic happens!
    There are in total 9 picture modes on the U1S TV, which would fulfill most of your viewing scenarios. These 9 picture modes are: Standard, AI Picture, Vivid, Eye Comfort, Movies, HDR 10+, Sports, Images, Custom.
    • Though all the modes are customizable (except AI picture), it is good to have a separate Custom mode too, so that the user can set their preference separately.
    • I keep the picture mode at Standard mostly and use it as a custom mode, setting brightness to 30%, no change in color, sharpness, contrast and tint. This mode works fine for most of the contents, more picture settings for this mode will be covered in next point.
    • My second preference goes to AI Picture mode, as no adjustment is needed here, even if it was needed, you won’t be allowed. The only problem with this mode is that the Ultra-smooth motioning is pre-defined and can’t be changed.
    • Third preference would be, Eye comfort, I turn this mode on at night, with all my lights off, because of this mode, the TV viewing doesn’t get unformattable as the color temperature of the screen changes to warm.
    • And rest of the mode like Movies, Sports and HDR 10+ can be used while watching movies or any kind of sports or a HDR contents and the remaining I leave for you guys to explore as these won’t be used as much as the rest of them.
    screenshot_20210616-115145__01 (1).png

More Settings (under picture mode) -

Here you will find some more picture mode settings:
    • Color temperature - Where you can change the RGB gains, with “Warm” you will see less of blue and more of yellowish color, where are “Cool” is vice versa of Warm, you can even set it to “Normal” or customize it according to you
    • Adaptive Contrast - To balance the whites and blacks according to the scene
    • Digital Noise Reduction - Helps to reduce the noise (Grains) in the video
    • Smooth Gradation - Helps in reducing the color banding in the video
    • Ultra Smooth Motioning - This is the MEMC that adds the extra frames to the existing lower framed video to reduce the ghosting or blurring for fast-paced scenes like action sequences or sports.
    All these picture settings have Low, Medium and High options to chose from to suit your requirement.
    • Color Space - Gives you an option to chose the color gamut to use for the picture colors. Setting it to Auto would be the best so that depending on whether the content is SDR or HDR, the color gamut is changed to cater for the colors.
    screenshot_20210616-115151__01 (1).png

Advanced Picture Settings -

I won’t be getting much into it as most of us won’t be using it much. Though one feature is worth mentioning here and that is HDR mode, you can keep this setting on Auto or Off. Keep it at Auto for better viewing but if the scene gets really dark, you can turn it off to get better colors and brightness even when the content you are watching is shot in dark lightings.

screenshot_20210616-115208__01 (1).png

Now, to summarize this section - I would say I am pretty impressed by the picture quality of the U1S, color reproduction is amazing, color contrast is good, black looks fine, you won’t feel any compromises done.
    But if you start nit-piking you may get some issues but those are negligible. On a personal note, these are my settings: Picture Mode - Custom; Backlight - 30%; Brightness – 0; Color – 50; Sharpness – 10; Contrast – 50; Tint – 0; Color Temperature – Normal, Adaptive Contrast – High; Digital Noise Reduction – High; Smooth Gradation - High; Ultra Smooth Motion – Low; Color Space – Auto.

Sample Shots -

img_20210616_134642__01 (1).jpg

img_20210616_134429__01 (1).jpg

img_20210616_134522__01__01 (1).jpg

img_20210616_134725__01 (1).jpg

img_20210616_134447__01 (1).jpg

Sound Quality Review

[​IMG]

This is my favorite part in this review as I have tested it thoroughly while watching shows, movies and listening to music for almost 500+ hours during the entire testing period in this four-unit speaker system providing 30W of sound output. There are some very good points and some drawbacks to the sound quality of the TV, which I will be elaborating further in this section, so let’s see what all features and customization will the user get to use inside the sound settings:

screenshot_20210616-114744__01 (1).png

Sound modes -

Here the user gets 4 different types of sound modes which they can choose according to the content they are viewing or listening to:
    • Standard: I personally use this mode most of the time as it’s nicely balanced with good bass, dialogue clarity, loudness, thanks to Dynaudio for co-tuning this sound profile. Watching action movies with lots of gun firing with volume above 50% in this mode, the scene starts to feel realistic as the sound becomes really immersive after the volume goes above level 50. The highs and lows are perfectly balanced and doesn’t feel uncomfortable or artificial to listen to. Though in some OTT apps like Zee5 while playing a movie or show, the dialogue may seem muffled, in my case, I was watching “Saand ki Aankh” on Zee5 and the dialogues were not as clear as they should be. But again, there is a dialogue enhancer feature to fix this issue too.
    Will recommend? Yes, 100%.
    • Surround: You may expect the surround sound to be better than the Standard sound mode, but sadly that’s not the case here. Surround sound mode doesn’t feel like surround sound at all and after using this mode on OnePlus Q1 Pro, I can tell that the surround sound mode on U1S doesn’t even come close to Q1 Pro. The volume in this mode is really low , the dialogues aren’t clear but muffled, sound output feels artificial, I wouldn’t recommend you to switch to this mode, as you won’t be getting a surround sound experience that you were expecting. I really hope they fix the sound quality of this mode via a software update.
    Will recommend? Nope!
    • Clarity: This mode can be used while listening to podcasts or watching sports with commentary. You can also use it this mode while watching shows or movies but you will not be able to feels those thumps, the sound in this mode kinda moves towards the flatter side to give you clearer dialogues without having to turn on dialogue enhancer. I have used this mode only in some scenarios as explained above, I wouldn’t recommend switching to this mode when you are listening to songs though. It still feels better than the surround mode.
    Will recommend? Maybe, depends on the content you are watching.
    • User: Here the user will get different adjustment bars to set the audio according to their needs, you may call it custom sound mode too. But again, no matter how much you tweak these adjustment bars, you won’t be getting that loudness and bass that you would get in Standard Sound Mode. To explore these settings, just play a song on YouTube and start adjusting the levels, you will start recognizing the change yourself and when the adjustment is done, it gets saved in the system, until you change it again. Also, you tune upto 200 khz for bass, upto 8khz for vocal and above for treble.
    Will recommend? Sure, if you can sacrifice a little of loudness and bass.

screenshot_20210616-114843__01 (1).png

Note: You may come across with a scenario where even if you are listening to the content at 100% volume, it will still feel low, then kindly switch the audio mode from 5.1 to normal in the app itself. For example, if you are watching Thor on Disney+ Hotstar at 100% volume and the audio is set to English 5.1, then select the settings gear icon on Disney+ Hotstar itself and change the audio to English (stereo) - the volume will increase significantly.

Dialogue Enhancer -

This is self-explanatory feature.
    • It has 4 settings, namely: High, Medium, Low, Off. If you are watching a content where the dialogues aren’t clear enough and feels echo-y and muffled, you can turn this feature on at low or medium.
    • Choose high setting at your own risk, because once you set it to high, the system will prioritize only dialogues and all the background music will feel muted. Also don’t listen to songs with dialogue enhancer ON, as the experience you would be getting would not be good - as the lyrics will get all the clarity and background instruments will get lowered in volume.
    • I will recommend that if you use this feature, use it on Low and if really necessary than Medium, else you won’t be needing this feature 70-80% of the time, but it’s always nice to have more features than to have none.

Overall, I would say the sound quality of the U1S TV is decent given its price. The Sympathetic Vibrations due to the box speakers gives a good punch to the bass and makes you feel like you are in the action.
    Though I’m really hopeful that the sound quality will only get improved as the software updates starts coming because the TV has only received it’s first update as of now, so the users can expect more enhancements and optimizations in sound quality, especially in Surround sound mode.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021

Gor.V, McJader, Khushii21 and 4 others like this.
  5. Batman360
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Jun 26, 2021

Stickied Post
    Batman360 , Jun 26, 2021 :
    Things We Absolutely Loved
    • Minimum bezels due to which we are able to see a bigger & immersive screen.
    • OnePlus TWS Battery Indicator.
    • Far Field Mic, which provides convenience as we can command the Google Assistant just by saying “OK Google”.
    • AI Picture Mode.
    • Great Viewing Angles.
    • Decoupled Backlight Controls, which is placed perfectly inside the picture settings for easy access and quick change of the screen backlighting according to the content that is being viewed on TV.
    • Ultra-Smooth Motioning (MEMC).
    • Minimal lag in Game Mode - We have tested the TV with both PS4 and PS5 and the gameplay had no lag/delay at all. The TV switches automatically to the Game mode once it detects the PS (thanks to ALLM) and it provides a latency-free experience.
    • Breathing LED while the TV is in sleep mode, though I really wish the colors of this LED to be customizable too.
    • Connectivity to OnePlus Watch, will help you to control your TV via the OnePlus watch, you can either use it as a remote control, or enable other features like auto-dim while asleep and smart volume control.
    • File transfer feature in the Connect App.
    Potential Areas for Improvement

Disclaimer: These issues have been reported to the TV team and they will be resolved in upcoming updates.
    • Lag faced when Settings menu is opened and browsed during video playback.
    • Delay in audio while listening to the audio via Bluetooth audio devices, occurrence is 30% though. Audio might break too for few seconds after Bluetooth audio devices are paired with the TV.
    • Surround sound mode sounds really bad.
    • The volume bar appears after few seconds on the TV screen when the volume buttons are pressed on the remote.
    • Optimization of dialogue enhancer when it’s set to high is needed.
    • For AI picture mode, the ultra smooth motioning is pre-decided by the system and the user can’t change it, letting user to change it would be a better option.
    • Some features do not work correctly or don’t work at all in Kids Mode, such as Google Assistant, Weather app, etc..
    • The UI of the File Explorer and Bluetooth Stereo feels very bland with lots of empty space which could be utilized to make the UI more interactive and informative.
    • Audio and video out of sync for few seconds in Netflix app, occurrence 20-30%.
    Verdict
    With this price range, the OnePlus TV U1S is a hit, though there are some downsides but most of them can be resolved with software updates, so you all just need to keep patience. With 4K picture resolution the content on this TV looks beautiful and yes, for the U1S, the bigger the size of the screen the better the experience you will get (not selling it, just saying from my personal experience). The sound section could be improved in the Surround Sound Mode and bass could be a bit better in the Standard Sound Mode, but for the rest, I feel it does its job pretty well. The bezel-less design will blow your mind, the breathing LEDs might scare you at night, gaming on this will give you an immersive experience, the 65 inches variant can act like your personal movie theatre and the connectivity to devices like OnePlus Buds, OnePlus Watch, etc. are pretty neat for your convenience. I thoroughly enjoyed my testing and reviewing period with the new OnePlus TV U1S and I really hope that you all enjoyed reading the review, I know I know, it was long, but I wanted to give you guys a clearer picture of what you will be purchasing.

OnePlus TVs Comparison

Specs comp NEW.jpg

This comparison was made by @Yash Pratap Singh.
    For clearer image, click here.

Video Review
    Now it's time for a detailed video review from our very own Community OnePlus TV Expert @Venky61. Go and watch it folks:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021

6. Yash Pratap Singh.
    Lollipop Jun 19, 2021

7. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 Jun 19, 2021

8. Starcommander

9. Yash Pratap Singh.
    Lollipop Jun 19, 2021

KaranRIyer, Venky61 and Dresa91 like this.
  10. Batman360

😉😉🍻🍻

Thankyou so much my brother💙💙 This is just the beginning, the thread will keep updating 😉🔥

Keep an eye for more✌️🍻 Thanks Star💫✨

Gor.V, Venky61, Starcommander and 2 others like this.
  11. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 Jun 19, 2021

Dresa91 , Jun 19, 2021 :
    Nice one 💪🏼👍🏼👍🏼

12. vinay11singh
    Honeycomb Jun 19, 2021

13. Batman360

Thankyou Vinay! And trust me, it will be worth the wait😉

Gor.V, KaranRIyer, Venky61 and 3 others like this.
  14. Abhishek654
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 19, 2021

15. Tilak G.

16. Batman360

Gor.V, Venky61, Abhishek654 and 3 others like this.
  17. Karun Deep
    Jelly Bean Jun 19, 2021

18. Shailender Sharma
    Nougat Jun 19, 2021

19. SRD.
    Lollipop Jun 19, 2021

SRD. , Jun 19, 2021 :
    So good to see a great review by the most unbiased reviewer @Batman360.
    Seems like a pretty good package.
    Waiting for the software part.
    Thanks for the review @Batman360
    @Venky61 &
    @Yash Pratap Singh. are doing a great job for TV-related queries.

Venky61, McJader, Dresa91 and 2 others like this.
  20. NShankaraN
    Jelly Bean Jun 19, 2021

21. pkg3107

22. Yash Pratap Singh.
    Lollipop Jun 19, 2021

Venky61, Dresa91 and pkg3107 like this.
  23. Nipu_1998
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9 Series Jun 19, 2021

24. McJader
    Marshmallow Jun 19, 2021

Venky61, Dresa91 and Batman360 like this.