OnePlus Two bought through a scalper has pre-installed malware

1. LauraGeek
    Cupcake Sep 16, 2015

LauraGeek , Sep 16, 2015 :
    When a Geektime source ran AVG on the OnePlus Two, which he bought through KSP (not by invite), it showed AVG found 4 potential threats: 2 of which were in applications he could uninstall, and the other 2 were on pre-installed OnePlus Two apps "Browser" and "Fun Weather." They were classified as potential sources of unwanted harm. He then clicked to get more info, and what it showed was that in the "past 7 days, both Browser and Fun Weather were linked to four cases of malware," with different names of the viruses that they were linked to. But he couldn't uninstall the apps (what you would normally do) because they were pre-installed by whomever he got the phone from.
    We would like OnePlus Two to provide a comment on this matter.

2. Gamm86
    Jelly Bean Sep 16, 2015

Gamm86 , Sep 16, 2015 :
    Why? The scalper has obviously installed the malware himself...
    There's nothing they can do about it.

Anyway, unlock bootloader, install custom recovery and flash whatever rom you want and the malware will be gone. No big deal.

3. gjdass
    Honeycomb Sep 16, 2015

gjdass , Sep 16, 2015 :
    It often happen when you buy the OPT at a Chinese reseller or something. They flash the ROM before sending it to you ;)

I was in the same case with my A2001 and i just flashed another ROM (CM 12.1 for me, but you can also flash stock Oxygen OS ROM). There are several tutos.

4. Waterdroid
    Community Veteran Sep 16, 2015

nobelium76, Skf123, rarog and 9 others like this.
  5. d47x
    Gingerbread Sep 16, 2015

d47x , Sep 16, 2015 :
    Do a full wipe with TWRP (e.g. system, data, cache), copy and install a fresh clean Oxygen OS ROM, problem solved

6. redleema
    KitKat Sep 16, 2015

redleema , Sep 16, 2015 :
    If you choose to buy from any 3rd party, then you choose not to be covered with any warranty or support from OP. Hence why its not advisable to use 3rd-parties.

add1ct3dd and dsmonteiro like this.
  7. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Sep 16, 2015

dsmonteiro , Sep 16, 2015 :
    Edited your title.

If he didn't want malware, he shouldn't have bought the phone through a non-official, shady seller. OnePlus has stated multiple times that people should not buy the phone through scalpers, because this kind of things can happen.

Also, if you are a Geektime representative like you seem to be, you should contact OnePlus through appropriate channels, not through a Community Forum.

8. LauraGeek
    Cupcake Sep 16, 2015

LauraGeek , Sep 16, 2015 :
    Hi, I have also reached out to OnePlus through official channels for comment, but figured the forums would also provide valuable information from OnePlus users themselves.

9. add1ct3dd
    Gingerbread Sep 16, 2015

add1ct3dd , Sep 16, 2015 :
    You messed up, then imo, wanted to kick up a fuss about it.

Why would OnePlus comment? You bought it from a third-party, and then were surprised when it turned out to not be exactly how you wanted it (stock). Lesson learnt = buy through appropriate channels.

10. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Sep 16, 2015

dsmonteiro , Sep 16, 2015 :
    And while doing so, you implied that OnePlus was shipping phones with malware, without even checking all the facts.

Doesn't look that ethical to me.

11. BenAlex
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 16, 2015

BenAlex , Sep 16, 2015 :
    Come on @Carl, we want answers!

Why did OnePlus let a scalper get their hands on an OP2 and then just stand by and do nothing when the scalper secretly (independently) installed 3rd party malware.

All OP did was warn people about scalpers time and time and time again!

Please Note: aspects of sarcasm may have been used in this post.

12. Adam Krisko
    User of the Year 2013 Sep 16, 2015

Adam Krisko , Sep 16, 2015 :
    Neither of those apps come installed on a global device running OxygenOS bought directly from us. I'm sorry you are have trouble with a device bought from a third party.

anupritaisno1 likes this.
  13. anjan2683
    Honeycomb Sep 18, 2015

anjan2683 , Sep 18, 2015 :
    Ok here's the thing. You can lash out as much as you want on geektime but the fact is that Onplus has a poor supply chain model which forces potential buyers to go towards shady sellers.

Also, if Oneplus is in full control of their supply chain through this shady enough "invite system" then how are these shady sellers getting hold of large quantities of devices to be able to sell with ridiculous markups? The fact that Oneplus keeps denying about it, is shady. Also, unless you are a Oneplus employee you can't provide any trusted source to justify that Oneplus didn't ship phones with Malware other than .."Well, Oneplus said they don't condone this kind of stuff....". There are numerous reasons to do it starting from Media attention to getting paid by multimedia companies for sharing user interaction and online behavior from their devices. Heck, companies like Lenovo have been putting Malware into their device ROMs which includes laptops, so it wouldn't be surprising that Oneplus installed it on some of their devices. After all, they are the only one who can benefit directly from it.

remedy likes this.
  14. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Sep 18, 2015

dsmonteiro , Sep 18, 2015 :
    You should check your facts first. Those scalpers sell the Chinese version. The Chinese version is sold without an invite system.
    So, the fact that all phones sold through OnePlus.net don't have malware isn't proof enough? But a phone that is being sold by a third party seller with a different OS than the one it was manufactured (Chinese version is sold with Hydrogen OS but the scalpers sell it with Oxygen) is proof that OnePlus is behind it?! Do you honestly believe that?

15. nerdo
    Honeycomb Sep 18, 2015

nerdo , Sep 18, 2015 :
    One could always re-flash latest official OS firmware to get rid of any potential malware.

Alternatively if malware apps are known, root and then use "Titanium backup" to remove them, yes it can delete uninstallable apps once and for all ;)

16. remedy
    KitKat Sep 18, 2015

remedy , Sep 18, 2015 :
    You are quite wrong.

OnePlus has created this market for scalpers to profit at the expense of loyal OnePlus fans. So OnePlus cannot deny blame for this situation.

17. bonghollywood
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 18, 2015

18. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Sep 18, 2015

dsmonteiro , Sep 18, 2015 :
    I'm quite wrong? You invent a wild theory and say I'm wrong?

No, Sir. You are the one that is quite wrong.

19. LibertarianFreethinker
    Honeycomb Sep 18, 2015

LibertarianFreethinker , Sep 18, 2015 :
    Blaming a whole company for the shady actions of a few third party sellers. Just wow...I guess OP should prohibit every person from reselling their phone...problem solved.

20. rangler123
    Honeycomb Sep 18, 2015

rangler123 , Sep 18, 2015 :

no you people who cant wait created this problem many of us on this forum had to wait as much as 3-4 months to get our op1s which turned out to be the best phone i have ever owned. so i was prepared for a much longer wait. i received my op2 yesterday(recd invite and ordered on the 5th) and after playing around with it, i think it has a chance to be better than the one if the battery life turns out to be as solid as the one. So please just wait your turn and stop trying to blame oneplus for something they had very little to do with, all they did was create something that many people want. they are for sure getting the phones out as fast as they can what would you do if you had something to sell and everyone wanted it, there is only one answer, make them as fast as you could and send them out