OnePlus Two bought through a scalper has pre-installed malware

1. p51d007
    KitKat Sep 18, 2015

2. anjan2683
    Honeycomb Sep 30, 2015

anjan2683 , Sep 30, 2015 :
    Keep ignoring the facts. It's not a "wild theory". It could be a "wild theory" in your perfect technology wonderland but everything boils down to business, profit & $$. A viral marketing wing of a company creates hype and uses alternate marketing methods to sell phones, and scalpers take advantage of it to suck money out of customers and in-turn sell them a phone ridden with malwares. Sure, the customers are at fault here, they are at fault for blindly believing everything.

3. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Sep 30, 2015

dsmonteiro , Sep 30, 2015 :
    "I can't buy this phone from OnePlus so I'll just buy it from a shady internet site that doesn't give me any guarantees."

So OnePlus is responsible for people's lack of judgement? Ok.

fenice likes this.
  4. anjan2683
    Honeycomb Oct 2, 2015

anjan2683 , Oct 2, 2015 :
    Are you kidding me? of course Oneplus is responsible.

"I can't buy this phone from OnePlus .........."

This alone tells me that there is something terribly wrong with the way this company is trying to market it's products. And please.... that "we are still a startup" excuse has gone beyond bullsh** levels. If you dare to stick your head out of these forums you'd see people (yes real people) asking the same questions.

5. exphk
    Eclair Oct 2, 2015

exphk , Oct 2, 2015 :
    I just can't believe it...
    Therefore, I must wait for offical invitation to buy opo 2!!

6. fenice
    KitKat Oct 2, 2015

fenice , Oct 2, 2015 :
    It tells you nothing other than the fact the people are idiots for buying the phone anywhere else. This subject was done to death when the OnePlus One was released and people are still falling for the same ridiculous trap of buying from a non-official site. Apple provides plentyt of phones for their user base but people still buy 'fake' iphones from any joe bloggs on the internet. Your attempt to blame OnePlus for people's stupidity doesn't hold water.

Yes, if you want to ensure you get a genuine OnePlus phone with a valid Warranty from OnePlus.

7. anjan2683
    Honeycomb Oct 29, 2015

anjan2683 , Oct 29, 2015 :
    It sure does hold water & that's why it's so highly criticized pretty much everywhere outside of this forum. Apple creates false demands for their products to slingshot their sales but at least you can buy one whenever you want, but this "invite" system feels like a Ponzi scheme. "Wait for an invite to spend your own money to buy a cellphone ridden with bugs from a company plagued with major supply chain issues"..... see how funny it sounds? If it's such a great product and if it's so wildly successful then why not come down to open market and try "really" selling it? You know what doesn't hold water? It's that "oh! We don't want to get stuck high amounts of inventory" crap.

Something is fundamentally wrong with how this company operates, manufactures and sells it's products which makes it look no more than a viral marketing platform where average Joe needs to wait in a long queue to get an "invite" to buy that one fancy cool toy and crooks (like these third party sellers) benefit from ripping people who may not wish to stay in a long queue to get an invite to be able to spend $300.

That in itself tells that they have not learnt anything Or doesn't give two shi*s about the consumer or the crooks. Fool me once shame on you; fool me twice shame on me.

8. fenice
    KitKat Oct 29, 2015

fenice , Oct 29, 2015 :
    You're missing the point in all of your rhetoric and that's caveat emptor, if people are stupid enough to buy from a non-authorised outlet then they deserve everything they get.

In your high praise of the Apple model you forgot to mention that people who don't want to pay the exorbitant price for their products can also get them from alternative, oh look they're actually cheap junk phones! Do you also criticise the Apple marketing method on Apple forums for the fact the people are stupid? I doubt that you do. ;)

If you, or anyone else, don't like the marketing methods of OnePlus then you're free to buy a phone anywhere you like and you're also forgetting that nobody is forcing anyone to "fall for the hype" that OnePlus or any company produces.

BTW, I think you ought to read up on what a Ponzi scheme is and it's certainly not the marketing methods shown here.

9. bmark240
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 29, 2015

bmark240 , Oct 29, 2015 :
    An invitation system helps in the selling of a phone by creating a buzz thereby making a phone more desirable to the masses. In contrast look at the hype machine of Apple. They spend billions on marketing, public PR and sales. OnePlus is in NO way responsible for the actions of a third party reseller. How can OnePlus even police everybody? Maybe by actually employing police like Crapple, sorry Apple does.
    I think I will avoid a review of a phone through Geektime as I guess they are noobs.

10. SimonFullerImagery
    Jelly Bean Oct 29, 2015

SimonFullerImagery , Oct 29, 2015 :
    Bootloader is already unlocked with Chinese versions from scalpers so you only need to install twrp and clean install official oos 2.1.1. Did this with mine and my brothers and saved $100 in the process. We still didn't recieve our official invites. OnePlus creates the temptation in that respect along with another botched launch.

11. APAULLO X
    Cupcake Dec 20, 2015

APAULLO X , Dec 20, 2015 :
    I bought my phone from oneplus.net and I am having these same issues. Is there any way to get rid of this. It's very annoying.

12. APAULLO X
    Cupcake Dec 20, 2015

I bought my oneplus2 from oneplus.net and I am getting this malware. What should I do??

13. APAULLO X
    Cupcake Dec 20, 2015

I'm having these issues on my phone that I bought directly from the site. Please email me back and what I need to do to get rid of this issue. It's very annoying.

14. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Dec 20, 2015

dsmonteiro , Dec 20, 2015 :
    Have you installed apps from outside the Play Store? That's probably the reason why it's happening, since phones are shipped with absolutely no malware.

15. anupritaisno1
    KitKat Dec 20, 2015

anupritaisno1 , Dec 20, 2015 :
    Just calm down and tell him to dirty flash oxygenos through stock recovery.

16. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Dec 20, 2015

dsmonteiro , Dec 20, 2015 :
    If it's installed malware, a simple factory reset might suffice.

And I don't think my state of calmness has anything to do with this. I'm trying to help the user, I suggest you focus on the same.

sfomin likes this.
  17. APAULLO X
    Cupcake Dec 21, 2015

APAULLO X , Dec 21, 2015 :
    No. Everything I have installed is from the play store. I tried not to run any other apps since it was a new phone.

18. sfomin
    Nougat Dec 21, 2015

sfomin , Dec 21, 2015 :
    #beastmode :p

dsmonteiro likes this.
  19. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Dec 21, 2015

dsmonteiro , Dec 21, 2015 :
    In that case I suggest you to contact Support immediately through a support ticket. As soon as you have a support ticket number, feel free to PM me and I'll try and talk to the admins, since this is a very strange situation.

20. APAULLO X
    Cupcake Dec 22, 2015

APAULLO X , Dec 22, 2015 :
    OK thanks

dsmonteiro likes this.