OnePlus TWO is AWESOME. CM? No, thank you!

1. mi6t0
    Gingerbread Nov 3, 2015

mi6t0 , Nov 3, 2015 :
    Migrating from Cyanogen OS / CyanogenMod to Oxygen OS can be a challenge! If you need some of the beloved CM features back - read below.

I’ve recently bought OnePlus TWO and am so far delighted with the phone. It is another amazing piece of lovely technology and it took me just a few days to fall in love with it.

I’ve been reading the various topics in the past few months and having so many repeatedly hateful topics have had a negative impact on me when I bought it. In fact the phone is awesome and is worth every penny!!!

I wouldn’t change it for Nexus or Moto and it looks much better in not just a few aspects.

Now, saying superlatives won’t bring much value, so I decided to summarize most of the challenges I got and map them with WORKING solutions.

I was a perfectly happy user of OPO, running CM11. Switching to CM12x/Oxygen was something I tried a few times, however battery life and performance was far from what I wanted, and have always reverted back to CM11.

The most challenging part with OPT was migrating to Oxygen OS.

I’ve been using CM-based roms for a few years and am (was) quite used to some of their features. Finding analogous solutions for some of our favorite functions can be tough and annoying and can make some people dislike Oxygen OS. So I’ve made a quick tutorial with some of the features that I liked and “ported” on to Oxygen OS 2.1.x

My first impression was – wow, Oxygen OS is miserable! I was wrong! You just have to give it a few days. Clean, stable, FAST. Does the right job at the right time. Stable! Very, very stable.

1. First thing I had to change was the kernel. I am a battery life freak and having control over battery is essential for me. In this case - consciously sacrificing some performance in favor of battery life. Boeffla kernel has always been my top choice – made by a german dev with clear idea and strategy what he is doing.

Config is up to you, like I said – I usually look for a balanced solution between battery and performance. Don’t forget to buy the full app and support the developer!

2. Secondly – notifications. I Loved the CM feature to assign custom LED colors for different apps. Annoyingly – Oxygen OS applies changes on global level, which is crap. Light Flow is what I know from the past. I’ve been working with its support team on a few issues and this guy knows what he is doing. Very easy to setup with tons of options. No root needed J

3. Third – Call Recording – BoldBeast recorder. Similar to the Xposed module for CM Call recording. It has more options and is much easier to setup. No root needed J And there is no issue with two-way recording. A convenient button can be placed on the call screen.

4. Fourth – GravityBox. Use it once, you will use it forever. Gave me back the beloved circle with battery percentage (oxygen OS gives you the chance to choose – either or … ), and much more (switching to next/previous track via volume rocker while listening to music, etc.)

5. Fifth – Power Nap. Lollipop is terrible at handling deep sleep leaks and Power Nap does the right job. That gives me battery performance close to the KitKat awesome battery life.

The only thing I am still about to chase is using the home button to take calls.

2. joesweeney413
    Jelly Bean Nov 3, 2015

Gaurav Rohilla likes this.
  3. John j
    Jelly Bean Nov 3, 2015

4. Joyyy
    Jelly Bean Nov 3, 2015

Joyyy , Nov 3, 2015 :
    With Oxygen OS 3.0 with Android 6.

It will be perfect for me.

Have no use for CyanogenMod, especially when there is Xposed Module you can have everything they can offer :D

mi6t0 and Gaurav Rohilla like this.
  5. katheria09
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 3, 2015

6. Zeekeybookeydo
    Cupcake Nov 3, 2015

Zeekeybookeydo , Nov 3, 2015 :
    I just ordered my OPT and been an avid user of CM in the past. Looks like Oxygen OS has some interesting features that I'm looking forward to.

Ceasedd likes this.
  7. mwayner
    Lollipop Nov 3, 2015

mwayner , Nov 3, 2015 :
    Glad you like it. So have I from the first, simply because I understood it's potential. For now, I've settled on H2OS (because it's FP stuff is better than O2OS), a custom kernel with only 2 or 3 cpu cores enabled and AutoCon+ for MRA. And it's still as capable as my overclocked OPO. :p

8. mynamesleon
    Eclair Nov 3, 2015

mynamesleon , Nov 3, 2015 :
    I'm quite enjoying Oxygen OS. Always been a fan of both CM, and stock Android. Oxygen sits in a nice middle ground for me

Zeekeybookeydo likes this.
  9. sfomin
    Nougat Nov 3, 2015

sfomin , Nov 3, 2015 :
    So something you could easily do in CM now requires an App on Oxygen? How is that logical?

NaterTots likes this.
  10. tobias14

tobias14 , Nov 3, 2015 :
    you can do a lot of things with xposed and gravitybox is my favorite module

11. osich

12. irishrally
    Honeycomb Nov 3, 2015

irishrally , Nov 3, 2015 :
    @mi6t0 Have you tried any other apps like Greenify, Amplify, and Appopsxposed? I'm using all of these in addition to Power Nap but I haven't had time to test which ones have the most impact and if any are fighting each other.

13. Ardadev
    Froyo Nov 3, 2015

Ardadev , Nov 3, 2015 :
    I migrated with almost no struggle. I used to use CM12 on my old Galaxy s4 for couple of reasons:

1. Light, I "hate" the Touchwiz. Oxygen OS is quite close to CM and raw android UX. Check!
    2. Greenify to hibernate apps / disable wakelocks. Oxygen OS has this feature as default. Check!
    3. Viper4Android to enhance the audio quality while listening to music. Oxygen OS has this. Check!

I'm loving the Oxygen OS (I started using directly with 2.1.1 so I cannot say much about previous versions' experiences) and this is the first Android Os that comes with my device that I didn't even have a need to root or install custom rom.

14. veratoloz2005
    Lollipop Nov 3, 2015

15. jdf
    Honeycomb Nov 3, 2015

jdf , Nov 3, 2015 :
    Were two

16. phonehog

phonehog , Nov 3, 2015 :
    Good thread op!

Helps people get over some of the beloved CM functions that can be replicated or built in already with Oxygen.

17. Jakub963
    Gingerbread Nov 3, 2015

Jakub963 , Nov 3, 2015 :
    So let me get this straight... You love OpT after, because of all the apps and tweaks, it became OpO in different case. Thanks for clearing that up. :-D

18. benluca
    KitKat Nov 3, 2015

benluca , Nov 3, 2015 :
    Outstanding report, congratulations on your new (premium) device. Thank you for contributing this.

19. robdam1001
    Gingerbread Nov 4, 2015

robdam1001 , Nov 4, 2015 :
    Link to power nap please? Can't seem to find it in Play Store. Thanks.

20. jibesh
    Froyo Nov 4, 2015

robdam1001 likes this.