OnePlus Watch: Everything We Know

1. razzor228
    Accessory Tester, OnePlus TV Product Ninja 2021 Mar 17, 2021

razzor228 , Mar 17, 2021 :
    Watch Header.jpg

With talks of an OnePlus watch going on since 2016, it has to be the most anticipated offering from OnePlus. All that we ever saw was a sketch of what an OnePlus watch could have been. But not anymore, the wait is finally over! (almost)

OnePlus-Watch-teaser.jpg

A tweet from “June 2016” that's now deleted showed us a futuristic approach to a smartwatch! And truth be told, no one has come close to date - “What could have been but never will be. Sketches circa 2015. #throwback”

Just a couple of days prior to Carl tweeting this, @Pete, once said at the Converge conference in Hong Kong that “we had completed the design, but we still decided to scrap it. We have to be focused.” It was a matter of survival of the fittest, and adding a possibly weak “me too” product into the otherwise strong OnePlus lineup would expose the company to what he described as a “cruel market”. According to Pete, OnePlus has built a niche following in the high-end smartphone market and needs to focus on that pocket of the market rather in order to weather the impending storm rather than try to expand into other territories.

Years passed on after this piece of information was revealed, but we never heard about the watch again. Surprisingly, in late 2019 a lot of rumours started to pop about OnePlus reportedly working on a Smart Band and as well as a SmartWatch. I believe one of the main reasons for these rumours to suddenly spark up was because of OnePlus’s foray into a new category - Televisions. Maybe this meant OnePlus was finally ready to plunge into various other categories as well. But it had been more than a year since these rumours popped up, and we did not have any concrete evidence of their existence. But things changed in late 2020, and we also got to see some leaked images of the rumoured OnePlus CyberPunk 2077 Limited Edition SmartWatch. (albeit it was just the strap, not the actual watch itself)

gsmarena_001.jpg
    Source: Weibo

The guy responsible for igniting all the watch rumours was Max J when he tweeted this particular image.

Screenshot 2021-03-15 174143.png
    Source: https://twitter.com/MaxJmb/status/1303996649648402432?s=20

At first, people didn’t get what he was referring to, but soon it became the talk of the town that OnePlus is working on a Circular Smartwatch. And then leaks started to pour in at a tremendous pace. Now that we had some sort of idea about the device’s form factor, the next probable thing pending to be leaked was either the specs or the choice of the operating system. And, that’s what we got - Insight on the choice of Operating System. Given his track record for revealing sensitive unreleased information, it could be true only if we hadn’t received another contradicting information from Pete himself.

Screenshot 2021-03-15 174913.png

In Dec 2020, in an interview with Input Mag, Pete revealed that “Wear OS definitely has room to improve. What we're trying to do is work with Google to try to improve the connectivity between the Wear OS ecosystem, Android TV, and Android smartphones to create this ability for better device interoperability across the ecosystems. This has been something looked at very positively from Google's side as well, so this is the direction that we're trying to develop, but we don't have more than we can share on that right now.” This led most to believe that the Smartwatch might sport WearOS after all. But a couple of days after the interview went live, 9to5Google reached out to OnePlus for further comments wherein it was revealed that the company’s upcoming smartwatch is not confirmed to be running Wear OS at this point. But looking at Pete’s response, that does appear to be the case. They also said that Pete only confirmed that OnePlus was both working on a smartwatch and working with Google on Wear OS, but he did not say the two were related.

Come January, we had certain leaks pointing towards a Fitness Band to be launched by OnePlus. A few days later, the OnePlus Health App apk got leaked, bringing in a couple of easter eggs.

Leaker Ishan Agarwal published a few renders that he dug from the leaked APK. Apart from the renders, he also leaked the model numbers - W501GB and W301GB.

ErJ0uXyUUAIX8C6.jpeg ErJ0uYbVgAEciJK.jpeg

A couple of days later, we got another piece of information that solidified the rumours of a circular watch. The watch was featured on the European Union trademark and registration website for a patent filing along with some renders, which indicated there might be two versions of the watch - One a sporty variant with a silicone strap and the other a classic variant with a leather strap.

M674DBIVNK56FON27UQIXB6ZFEMQXMZS63XTUHKXBPM5G4ZNMOW3PQ6DJKNSK2LSU6XUFW2HQ75UE.jpeg

M674DBIVNK56FON27UQIXB6ZFEMQXMZS63XTUHKXBPM5G4ZNMOW35PUHVVZ3YSHOX7V4L3AJIXHLS.jpeg M674DBIVNK56FON27UQIXB6ZFEMQXMZS63XTUHKXBPM5G4ZNMOW2CIRJQ7VNA5HG322VVEFIF5DX6.jpeg M674DBIVNK56FON27UQIXB6ZFEMQXMZS63XTUHKXBPM5G4ZNMOW4L3QBKEXR37BZ4GFRC4CFTLQC4.jpeg M674DBIVNK56FON27UQIXB6ZFEMQXMZS63XTUHKXBPM5G4ZNMOW7KE6XLSMRSTSGHURXEKMRDEBJA.jpeg M674DBIVNK56FON27UQIXB6ZFEMQXMZS63XTUHKXBPM5G4ZNMOWYTF7SDXPDZ5CCEY27AEXN7LR34.jpeg M674DBIVNK56FON27UQIXB6ZFEMQXMZS63XTUHKXBPM5G4ZNMOWTVEUJJVXUA6YXEJL2KLDZ7XZYK.jpeg

M674DBIVNK56FON27UQIXB6ZFFKQ4RABUB3L4L7DDPQL6EOTGBFLPQ6DJKNSK2LSU6XUFW2HQ75UE.jpeg

M674DBIVNK56FON27UQIXB6ZFFKQ4RABUB3L4L7DDPQL6EOTGBFML3QBKEXR37BZ4GFRC4CFTLQC4.jpeg M674DBIVNK56FON27UQIXB6ZFFKQ4RABUB3L4L7DDPQL6EOTGBFKCIRJQ7VNA5HG322VVEFIF5DX6.jpeg M674DBIVNK56FON27UQIXB6ZFFKQ4RABUB3L4L7DDPQL6EOTGBFDVEUJJVXUA6YXEJL2KLDZ7XZYK.jpeg M674DBIVNK56FON27UQIXB6ZFFKQ4RABUB3L4L7DDPQL6EOTGBFPKE6XLSMRSTSGHURXEKMRDEBJA.jpeg M674DBIVNK56FON27UQIXB6ZFFKQ4RABUB3L4L7DDPQL6EOTGBFITF7SDXPDZ5CCEY27AEXN7LR34.jpeg

With the number of leaks starting to increase, it was anyone’s guess that the watch might launch alongside the 9 Series. But with the teasers for the 9 Series starting late February, OnePlus didn’t tease the Smartwatch up until last week. @Leo X. started a contest to guess the new product that they will be launching alongside the 9 Series. Apart from the teasers on the forums, their Twitter handle also revealed the same.

Screenshot 2021-03-15 182622.png

And, the very next day, we had the OnePlus UK Twitter Handle tweeting this. This particular tweet had me scratching my head and questioning everything that had been leaked thus far. Up until this tweet, none of the leaks mentioned the presence of a square watch.

Screenshot 2021-03-15 182751.png

So now that we all know what has been leaked so far, let’s talk about what’s still missing - The Specs.

Assuming the watch will sport the latest hardware, I feel it might come with the latest Qualcomm Snapdragon Wear 4100 Plus found on the recently launched Ticwatch Pro 3. Although it isn’t something that will beat the Apple Watch in terms of performance, still it is a sizeable upgrade compared to the Snapdragon Wear 3100, which was launched in 2018. The performance of the watch not only depends on the processor but also how much RAM and Storage it has and, most importantly, the operating system.

WearOS isn’t by any means the best operating system for a smartwatch. It’s unpolished, buggy and a battery hogger. So, it will be quite interesting to see what the OnePlus Watch sports with respect to the operating system.

Now coming on to the part of the watch that one would be using the most - The Screen. If you’re a smartwatch user, you would know what a boon an AMOLED or OLED display is. Although it does mean less battery life but you would definitely miss out on the Always On Display if not for the AMOLED or OLED display.

While these are some basic things, a full-fledged smartwatch also comes with a plethora of sensors to track various fitness aspects. Some of the most common sensors are a Heart Rate Sensor, GPS Sensor, NFC Sensor, SpO2 Sensor, Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Barometer and Compass.

Also, wouldn’t it be great if OnePlus brought the Warp Charging to the OnePlus Watch too? This might be too much to ask for, but wouldn’t it be great if you had the watch charge to full within an hour.

As of now, we do not know if this is going to be a budget or a premium offering. So features like LTE depend on the price segment that OnePlus is targeting.

Update: 17/03/21

As of today, more information about the watch and its specification has been leaked by Ishan Agarwal.

- 46mm
    - IP68
    - Warp Charge (A week of charge in 20 minutes)
    - Sleep, Stress, Blood Saturation, Heart Rate Monitoring
    - Check Notifications, Calls
    - Control OnePlus TV
    - 4GB Storage
    - Auto Workout Detection

Now that you know almost everything about the OnePlus Smartwatch that’s present and available on the internet, what do you think about it? Will it sport WearOS or maybe OnePlus might surprise us with OxygenOS on the watch? As of now, everything is just speculation and would only be confirmed on March 23rd during the launch event.

2. razzor228
    Accessory Tester, OnePlus TV Product Ninja 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Stickied Post
    razzor228 , Mar 17, 2021 :
    Well, @Pete just confirmed the Watch will not sport WearOS.

3. Cheetosdust
    Moderator Moderator Mar 19, 2021

Stickied Post

4. razzor228
    Accessory Tester, OnePlus TV Product Ninja 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Stickied Post

5. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer; Community Hero 2020 Mar 17, 2021

YRJ , Mar 17, 2021 :
    It's surprising that not a lot has been leaked about the watch yet, however we did witness what seems to be the very first look at the OnePlus watch.

20210317_152838.jpg

Everything we have seen so far, points just to one thing... Premium looks! And I'm all for it :D

Now only if @Oliver Z. could leak some stuff too! :p

6. _Bharat_
    Gingerbread Mar 17, 2021

7. mario_luigi
    Jelly Bean Mar 17, 2021

8. SRD.
    Lollipop Mar 17, 2021

9. sumitMZ007
    Jelly Bean Mar 17, 2021

10. Yash Pratap Singh.
    Lollipop Mar 17, 2021

Yash Pratap Singh. , via OnePlus 7T , Mar 17, 2021 :
    All in for the watch!🔥
    I've never wanted any OnePlus Product so baaad 🔥
    And great thread @razzor228 , sums up everything in a good format, with illustrations ✨
    Can you do one update, me and @YRJ want to be kept updated about any chance of winning the watch in the community, so can you update on this thread if anything like that happens?👀
    Thanks in advance 😉

11. oneplusfav4ever
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 17, 2021

12. Helder_DAlmeida
    Marshmallow Mar 17, 2021

Helder_DAlmeida , via OnePlus 7T , Mar 17, 2021 :
    Thanks for the thread @razzor228! It's a delicate matter, the watch. There so muck involved when we are using it. I'm using the Ticwatch Pro 3 gps and i must say, the level is high! Hope to see an great product from OnePlus!

13. Bittoo06
    Jelly Bean Mar 17, 2021

14. MUTD3
    Froyo Mar 17, 2021

MUTD3 , via OnePlus 7T , Mar 17, 2021 :
    I am waiting for a couple of months to buy a smartwatch, hoping One Plus will launch one n the best one. I will know soon if it was worth the wait

YRJ likes this.
  15. Cheetosdust
    Moderator Moderator Mar 17, 2021

16. Shailender Sharma
    Nougat Mar 17, 2021

Shailender Sharma , Mar 17, 2021 :
    A very detailed thread @razzor228. Thanks for your efforts! 👍
    Drawing shared by you as well as picture by @YRJ, it seems that the watch is going to be a round shape, premium quality.
    Hype intensifies! 👍

17. Sylvester.David
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus Nord 2 Mar 17, 2021

M1590567141950 and YRJ like this.
  18. RamParab
    Eclair Mar 17, 2021

RamParab , via OnePlus 7T , Mar 17, 2021 :
    I am eagerly waiting for this.... I am planning to buy SW from long time but after confirmation from OP... I said YES... This is news.
    but I would request to OP ... pls make this available in Square and Round both. said:
    Waiting for 23.03

19. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer; Community Hero 2020 Mar 17, 2021

YRJ , Mar 17, 2021 :
    I genuinely hope they do both :oops:

20. Helder_DAlmeida
    Marshmallow Mar 17, 2021

Cheetosdust likes this.
  21. Nipu_1998
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus Nord 2 Mar 17, 2021

Nipu_1998 , Mar 17, 2021 :
    Thank you @razzor228 for rounding up all these information and creating this beautiful thread.
    The OnePlus watch seems like a well built, premium product

22. B1512612489618
    Cupcake Mar 17, 2021

23. Cheetosdust
    Moderator Moderator Mar 17, 2021

Cheetosdust , Mar 17, 2021 :
    Perhaps they'll do both shapes, it was not announced yet. But judging by that teaser, it's safe to assume that at least there's going to be a round-shaped variant. :D