OnePlus Watch GPS via OnePlus Nord

1. gabriele_lana
    Cupcake Jul 9, 2021

gabriele_lana , via OnePlus Nord , Jul 9, 2021 :
    Hi guys, I'm here after reading the OnePlus Watch threads about the GPS. I also have this problem, my device display the message on the emepheris data and then never, and i say never, lock the GPS, the icon blink costantly, i tried for several minutes (more than 10 for sure). Untill now I went for a run anyway and at the end I noticed at least a 20% of less distance about the real distance. This significant but not enormous data loss make me think that the device somehow lock the GPS signal during the run, but the recording isn't right at all. Another not comforting news is that in the OnePlus Healt app, if I go in the info of the run, there isn't the map/the traced of the run.
    I'm very disapponted with OnePlus, their devices were always on point, this Watch instead is far away from the perfection or at least from the satisfactory use.
    I hope that this 'bug' can be solved in near future with some update. Some of you guys have news?
    1625827843241.jpg
    (the written of the photo Is in italian)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021

Overzee likes this.
  2. Overzee
    The Showcase Reviewer Jul 12, 2021

Overzee , Jul 12, 2021 :
    Yesterday a OTA update (W301GB_11_B.62) was pushed to my OnePlus Watch (Cobalt), the changelog states the following:
    Screenshot_20210713-000854.jpg

Don't know if you're already running this latest software version?

gabriele_lana likes this.
  3. gabriele_lana
    Cupcake Jul 12, 2021

gabriele_lana , via OnePlus Nord , Jul 12, 2021 :
    Thank you! After your message I check if there's some updates, and actually there is! ( It's the version that you wrote) I hope that this update can solve the problem, I will write a comment as soon as I have tested it.

Overzee likes this.
  4. Overzee
    The Showcase Reviewer Jul 13, 2021

Overzee , Jul 13, 2021 :
    You're welcome, I hope this will fix the issue, looking forward to a positive outcome!

5. gabriele_lana
    Cupcake Jul 16, 2021

gabriele_lana , via OnePlus Nord , Jul 16, 2021 :
    This week, after the latest update I went out two Times for a 10km run, unfortunatly I found out that nothing has changed exept the layout. The Watch still not lock the GPS and before the run often display the message on the ephemeris data (connect the Watch to the phone to update ephemeris data...) . There's not the traced on the App and the recorded distance is still about a 15-20% less. I don't know where is the issue but some time has passed since the watch release and nothing changed.
    I still hope for some serious update.

6. Overzee
    The Showcase Reviewer Jul 17, 2021

Overzee , Jul 17, 2021 :
    That's too bad man, I think it's best when you report a bug here and explain your whole issue. I truly hope it'll be fixed in the near future, we all benefit from a better working Watch while doing outdoor activities.

7. ponder65
    Eclair Jul 31, 2021

ponder65 , Jul 31, 2021 :
    You can't report a bug on the OnePlus Watch via that link, it's not a listed device.
    I did try to report using my phone's info stating that I was actually reporting a bug in the watch but at first got an auto response giving me a page of instructions and advice on fixing the phone's GPS then once I started talking to a human it was suggested I contact a hardware support vendor. This is a firmware issue but OnePlus won't recognise it as such and see unable to fix it. I've given up.

8. ShredMeister
    Honeycomb Sep 4, 2021

ShredMeister , via OnePlus 8T , Sep 4, 2021 :
    20% less distance is actually not bad, in my experience after a few tries this week, it's more like 30%. I tested it today on a distance of 2Km and it measured 1,46Km. That's a huge miss, which also impacts pace calculation, which are obviously also way off.

I hope OnePlus fixes this soon, but seeing reports about this for a good four months does not give me much hope.

9. Liehjan
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus Buds Pro Sep 4, 2021

Liehjan , Sep 4, 2021 :
    I'm on update B65, and today on a 5km walk(I know for a fact it's exactly 5km) the watch showed 4.96km so it's getting better.

10. ShredMeister
    Honeycomb Sep 4, 2021

ShredMeister , via OnePlus 8T , Sep 4, 2021 :
    Great!... When did you get B65?

Liehjan likes this.
  11. Liehjan
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus Buds Pro Sep 4, 2021

Liehjan , Sep 4, 2021 :
    This morning when I used VPN to India. I don't know why it's only available in India right now.

ShredMeister likes this.
  12. ShredMeister
    Honeycomb Sep 4, 2021

Liehjan likes this.
  13. ShredMeister
    Honeycomb Sep 5, 2021

ShredMeister , via OnePlus 8T , Sep 5, 2021 :
    Thanks a lot, I did what you said and got the latest release and I am seeing quite a few interesting benefits. For instance, when playing music on Spotify, the watch now behaves correctly, automatically displaying music controls on screen. Skipping songs and whatnot is also properly responsive now.

There is also mention to better sleep tracking, which is welcome, will need to test that as well.

I still need to check the GPS bit, as well as step tracker, will share updates soon.

Liehjan likes this.
  14. ShredMeister
    Honeycomb Sep 5, 2021

ShredMeister , via OnePlus 8T , Sep 5, 2021 :
    Alright, the results are in and I can confirm the GPS and pedometer seem to be fixed now!... I also didn't see any message about expired GPS, connecting to the phone or anything like that.

About GPS lock, I tried a couple times, the first one took about 40 seconds and the second was pretty much instant. My guess is that the GPS lock on the second attempt was still there. Regardless, even the first one wasn't too bad.

I completed a 2km walk and 2km run tests just now and they came out perfect, 1,97km and 2,01km respectively. Pace is consequently correct now, and step count seems to be spot on.

My only concern is that heart monitoring during the run seemed to be way off, much lower than usual, even with the strap tight. I am not sure if this is a one off, will need to try again.

This new version also allows for vibration strength configuration, allowing for a stronger setting, which is much better.

I noticed slightly better performance as well.

All in all, I think B65 is what we all were waiting for, at long last. Thanks OnePlus, better late than never!... Please keep improving this device, it is already great, on route to be brilliant!

Liehjan likes this.
  15. Liehjan
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus Buds Pro Sep 5, 2021

Liehjan , Sep 5, 2021 :
    Great to see that B65 helped a lot with your issues!

ShredMeister likes this.
  16. wmm
    KitKat Sep 6, 2021

wmm , Sep 6, 2021 :
    That's odd. I've tried several times since updating to B.65 and have seen no difference at all - it still takes 6-10 minutes to get a location fix, and I still get the notice about the stale ephemeris data the first time in a day I start the activity. I haven't tried the distance calculation since updating; I'll see if I can run an experiment soon for that. Thanks, though, for sharing your experience.

ShredMeister likes this.
  17. ShredMeister
    Honeycomb Sep 7, 2021

ShredMeister , via OnePlus 8T , Sep 7, 2021 :
    After some more testing, I can confirm sleep detection has indeed been improved, it's coming way more accurate for me. Unfortunately, that seemed to cause issues with heart beat detection. I am not sure if they increased sensitivity in those sensors to better detect sleep, but the reality is that the heart beat readings are now all over the place.

18. ShredMeister
    Honeycomb Sep 8, 2021

ShredMeister , via OnePlus 8T , Sep 8, 2021 :
    Alright, after a couple more days I can confirm the heart rate monitor is completely broken now. It's so off it is pretty much useless.

During the night, it averages values above 100bpm, which is simply ridiculous. While running, it is stuck at 80bpm, but as soon as I take a rest and walk, the readings start again and it spikes to 130-150bpm. Start running again, it dives back down to 80bpm.

This is also having an impact on calorie expense calculation...

It's all a big mess, OnePlus, please fix!

PS:. On the somewhat good news, GPS lock continues to be acceptable, this time it took a bit over a minute. I have never seen the long times some other people report, but I always wait for it to lock before I start running. I believe it would probably take longer to lock while running/walking.

19. Micojenapico
    Cupcake Oct 13, 2021

20. wmm
    KitKat Oct 14, 2021

wmm , Oct 14, 2021 :
    The B.67 release improved the heart rate measurement, but it's still not completely fixed. I still see incorrect readings when I'm working out on the elliptical - for most of the session, it's showing bpm in the low 80s when it should be in the 110s and 120s. Occasionally it pops up to the correct range for a few minutes, then drops back down to the incorrect readings again. The smart monitoring and manual readings seem to be accurate, though, which was not the case with the B.65 release.

Micojenapico likes this.