OnePlus... We need to talk...

1. Baymax
    Starting Point Expert Oct 10, 2019

Baymax , Oct 10, 2019 :
    Hey everyone,
    And OnePlus...

[​IMG]

Everyone knows who I am. Everyone knows what I do.
    First though I have some background. I have been a member here since the beginning of 2015. I have been to multiple events hosted by OnePlus. Never have I even questioned any OnePlus motives when it comes to a launch.
    Well, this time i’m actually planning on asking a question to OnePlus that I never thought I would ask in all my years of OnePlus support. That particular question is:

What are you doing?

I just watched the launch of the 7T series and the first part was cool, talking about new features coming to the devices like live translation. Then came the part about the 7t and the first thing that crossed my mind was
    [​IMG]

Being in the US, I saw the “reveal” of the 7T. Indians saw the launch of the 7T already as well. While the reveal was a massive dumpster fire, it did show off the device that you all took time to show off. Pretty sure at the point, everyone knew everything about the device. Everyone had already seen reviews. I understand that this launch is what was intended to be the first time showing off the device to the mass majority, but it just wasn’t that at all.

Then along came the 7T Pro with just minor upgrades, but that is completely understandable. Then the McLaren was shown off (love that case!) and that was new. The specs however... were not. The McLaren edition barely lives up to the McLaren name... it carries that same specs in terms of RAM and storage options as a regular highest end 7 Pro. A pretty penny more than it too. When pricing came along, I saw that the 7T Pro regular edition was hamstrung. 8 GB or RAM is plenty, but why is the McLaren Edition being hailed as something that the regular 7 Pro had as a regular option?
    [​IMG]

To try and sweeten the deal at the end you said that the Bullets Wireless 2 were in the new olive green color. At least we knew a currency other than rupees for the conversion, so I guess that was okay.

To sum all this up... i’m disappointed. Not that you all haven’t sent me a free device for all my troubles, but that i’m disappointed that you all have messed up quite a bit on the second launch this year. What was the point of a reveal and launch in India on the same day (Sept 26) then another launch which showed the 7T in London (Oct 10) when everybody had already seen it. Why was the McLaren Edition chosen to become what a regular edition already covered in the past iteration? What are you doing OnePlus? This launch is unlike something that you all usually do.

I do understand that OnePlus may never see this. In the small chance that OnePlus does though, I felt like something needed to be said.

2. B_Wrath
    Marshmallow Oct 10, 2019

B_Wrath , Oct 10, 2019 :
    Bang on. The same thoughts I had on the McLaren edition. It seems to me like a practical joke.
    And that premium for just a paint job and Alcantara case!? They must be out of their minds!

3. dcmcc24
    KitKat Oct 10, 2019

4. Drewbikscube
    The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Oct 10, 2019

Drewbikscube , Oct 10, 2019 :
    As a long time member, consumer, and supporter of OnePlus, I have never been more confused these last few months with the direction or maybe lack of direction OnePlus is going. These have bluntly been the worst mobile launches period in a long time. Not to mention the products and pricing are incredibly confusing. Possibly through the growth they're starting to lose the core values they used to represent to us or possibly they're heading down similar direction of other manufacturers but regardless I really hope they have a HARD reset internally come the OnePlus 8. One thing is certainly apparent, this is not the same OnePlus that gave us the last few generations of smooth launches, great new products, and awesome pricing. Something has greatly changed and unfortunately if something doesn't correct it, it only gets worse from here given the current competition in the mobile market.

5. Rusty NZ
    Marshmallow Oct 10, 2019

Suvraa, Its.Leandroo, B_Wrath and 7 others like this.
  6. FlixbusLennart
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Oct 10, 2019

FlixbusLennart , Oct 10, 2019 :
    Good part of this:
    The launch was so disappointing that I will happily use my 7 Pro for a little more time than I usually have my phones.

7. Rusty NZ
    Marshmallow Oct 10, 2019

Rusty NZ , Oct 10, 2019 :
    And maybe there will be less "I've been cheated" threads :D or is that wishful thinking?

8. Jatin020
    Froyo Oct 10, 2019

Jatin020 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Oct 10, 2019 :
    In my opinion.. Mclaren edition looks dope..but i doubt tht 7t pro will have much attention.just a 13% faster chip and 23% faster charge or vice versa whatever the stats is... which no one gonna notice if they have 7 pro.. Explaining 7T, agree to that point... like why...? It is released before whatsoever the market .. availability may be addressed why the whole device.. But its the first time non T users are feeling that T series is not tht much of an upgrade...

Impersonal, Bouncer71 and Baymax like this.
  9. huxley1t
    Gingerbread Oct 10, 2019

geo07, SanthoshPSK, Bouncer71 and 2 others like this.
  10. camohan
    Marshmallow Moderator Oct 10, 2019

camohan , Oct 10, 2019 :
    I agree with Baymax, I took a few rounds of social media and users here in India felt that 7t pro was a unnecessary launch considering the difference between the prices and its comparison with specs. Lot of OnePlus 7T buyers seemed happy with their purchase, they were quiet furious when news about OnePlus 7t Pro was released.

I dont know exactly what, but things are not going convincingly in the right direction.

akks, Starcommander, the_o2 and 5 others like this.
  11. Areebanwar
    Honeycomb Oct 10, 2019

Areebanwar , Oct 10, 2019 :
    I think they should simply have launched all devices on ONE day, and the 7T "PRO" could've been the Mclaren Edition. 7T Pro makes absolutely no sense. It's like the R&D dept. thought "oh well, there HAS to be a 7T PRO, not just a normal 7T".

Alas, I do agree with Baymax. Been here since 2014, and have always been keenly following Oneplus. My first phone till the new OP7 is the same. But I've no idea where the company is headed.

But oh well, I got a life to lead. Brb :p

12. FlixbusLennart
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Oct 10, 2019

FlixbusLennart , Oct 10, 2019 :
    OnePlus 2 du bi du bi du

13. BobbyV8_
    The Showcase Reviewer Oct 10, 2019

BobbyV8_ , Oct 10, 2019 :
    Strongly agree on the 7T launch & 7T Pro upgrades. I was expecting a 120Hz screen to be an upgrade. That could've come on the McLaren edition atleast.

12GB is an overkill, what could've improved? Faster refresh rates. Does that really matter? Hell when 90Hz could matter why doesn't 120 do? Asus ROG II does that and to be a special edition what are we throwing in specially? Just a colour scheme and few more bucks!!!

I'm still sold on the McLaren edition coming from a 3T. What makes me confused is that should I be getting a 7Pro at 45k or McLaren edition at 59k the difference could get me another mid range device

B_Wrath, Impersonal and Bouncer71 like this.
  14. KeepTransisting
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Oct 10, 2019

KeepTransisting , Oct 10, 2019 :
    Baymax, I couldn't agree more. While the mid-generation upgrade is never meant for the people who have the existing iteration, the 7T series as a whole just feels unnecessary. The upgrades from the 7 to the 7T and especially from the 7 Pro to the 7T Pro are so minor that they could have just kept selling the same phones. If they really wanted to do something special, they should have just made the 7 Pro McLaren edition their mid-generation upgrade with the Warpt charging. But this? This is just silly.

B_Wrath, sommersy, Impersonal and 2 others like this.
  15. BobbyV8_

7 to 7T is considerate, getting better screen, processor, camera, charge speeds. But the Pro is wasted

Impersonal, Baymax and Bouncer71 like this.
  16. KeepTransisting
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Oct 10, 2019

KeepTransisting , Oct 10, 2019 :
    Yeah, I'll give you that one. The 7 to the 7T is pretty good, but still not worth it enough to actually upgrade from the 7 to the 7T

Baymax likes this.
  17. camohan
    Marshmallow Moderator Oct 10, 2019

camohan , Oct 10, 2019 :
    You know hindi songs, I am impressed.

18. BobbyV8_

Nope never a good idea to upgrade from regular to T version, but for those who waited have something satisfying.

TBH I don't see any NEED to upgrade from 3T as well, but the itch is such that I might get the McLaren edition

B_Wrath, Impersonal and Baymax like this.
  19. Areebanwar
    Honeycomb Oct 10, 2019

Areebanwar , Oct 10, 2019 :
    Still rocking a 3T?! How have you not given to the "new device" train yet?!

venkatasiva08, Impersonal and Baymax like this.
  20. BobbyV8_

I don't see any need for a new device nor itch isn't too strong. Now EOL + McLaren itch might result in a purchase

Areebanwar likes this.