OnePlus won’t support Project Treble updates featureEven when they get Android Oreo

?

Are you holding out?

1. I'll get the 5T no matter what

10 vote(s)
    19.6%
  2. I'll hold out for the next device

22 vote(s)
    43.1%
  3. I'm getting the 5T and hope, they support Treble with the next OS update

19 vote(s)
    37.3%
  1. tauqirkhan63
    Cupcake Nov 23, 2017

2. Punk_69
    Lollipop Nov 23, 2017

Punk_69 , Nov 23, 2017 :
    Too much mess.... Even 5t wont have treble

3. malidan
    Marshmallow Nov 23, 2017

malidan , Nov 23, 2017 :
    Your making excuses now, very poor ones that have been used time and time again.
    They are on device no.7 and now have nowhere to hide anymore.

They could have done it if they wished, they didn't want to because it will cost them and OP don't like to certify anything.
    Project treble was announced in May so it's not like they didn't know and with OOS giving the Android experience and it being so close to stock it should be a piece of cake and Oreo should have been on the 5T.
    I don't see the one-man custom Rom Dev having too many problems producing something, this is without a team and without all the good stuff.

4. MJ_Vikram
    KitKat Nov 23, 2017

MJ_Vikram , Nov 23, 2017 :
    5 & 5T will receive updates only for 1 year (ie Android O & P) so i guess they thought like why to spend more time to implement Project Treble..

5. Android-Andi
    Jelly Bean Nov 23, 2017

Android-Andi , Nov 23, 2017 :
    it's all about money.
    you get money updating software? no.
    you get money if someone buys a new device because the old device doesn't get security updates: yes, you can make a lot of money and that's the reason even the OP5T shipped Nougat. on Oreo they would be forced to implement project treble.

as a side note:
    https://www.xda-developers.com/stock-android-oreo-huawei-mate-9-project-treble/

https://plus.google.com/113161962007138780812/posts/4b1YbPqwVK4

another note:
    it'd be so easy for google to enforce security updates, you can't even imagine:
    all they'd need to do is extend the GMS contract (yes, there's one): if they don't keep <2 years old hardware up-to-date, GMS will be revoked for them. that's it... they couldn't release any new device or new update with GApps until they update their "old" hardware.

but nah, google supports planned obsolescence.

6. Android-Andi
    Jelly Bean Nov 23, 2017

Android-Andi , Nov 23, 2017 :
    it's all about money.
    you get money updating software? no.
    you get money if someone buys a new device because the old device doesn't get security updates: yes, you can make a lot of money and that's the reason even the OP5T shipped Nougat. on Oreo they would be forced to implement project treble.

as a side note:
    https://www.xda-developers.com/stock-android-oreo-huawei-mate-9-project-treble/

https://plus.google.com/113161962007138780812/posts/4b1YbPqwVK4

another note:
    it'd be so easy for google to enforce security updates, you can't even imagine:
    all they'd need to do is extend the GMS contract (yes, there's one): if they don't keep <2 years old hardware up-to-date, GMS will be revoked for them. that's it... they couldn't release any new device or new update with GApps until they update their "old" hardware.

but nah, google supports planned obsolescence.

7. MentalDraco
    Marshmallow Nov 23, 2017

MentalDraco , Nov 23, 2017 :
    Well they are a company, not our pall, obviously they want stuff to break, stop working so you are, well not forced but enticed to get new stuff. That is one thing i liked about apple, how long one of their phones get updates. The iphone 5 that i am using came out in 2012 and till this year has gotten updates.

8. forid-786
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 23, 2017

forid-786 , Nov 23, 2017 :
    This is becoming a total mess! I feel scammed as it is getting the OP5 then the 5T coming out soon after. And we're still waiting for a decent build of Oreo...

I didn't mind paying extra money for the OnePlus 5 because I thought it'd grow the company and help with software updates... Treble would've been the best thing ever in terms of updates. If OnePlus follows this sick path of planned obsolescence, I'm out. And so A LOT of other people will be too. OnePlus needs to listen to their customers, be on their side, pull their socks up and get that treble implemented. That will add faith into your company and people will know that they'll get good software support. So far the OP5 support has been crap.

9. G_Joe_Smart_Ltmx
    Honeycomb Nov 23, 2017

G_Joe_Smart_Ltmx , Nov 23, 2017 :
    While Google devices get official Android versions for much longer than OnePlus Google has their own version of forced obsolescence for their phones--hardware failure. The Nexus5, Nexus 6P, Pixel and Pixel XL all run at high temperatures that are unsustainable over time and all 4 phones suffer a very high rate of hardware failure. At least if your OnePlus phone doesn't burn out and become unusable like a Google phone you can still keep it up to date by flashing a custom ROM.

10. pablofg1978
    Spanish POC Assistant Head Moderator Nov 23, 2017

11. Dimon2011
    Eclair Nov 23, 2017

Dimon2011 , Nov 23, 2017 :
    Guys, don't talk useless things... Treble will be great, as seen today on Huawei mate 9 with Treble enabled in Oreo beta.. They ported today a clean AOSP on that device... This is what Treble means.

12. pablofg1978
    Spanish POC Assistant Head Moderator Nov 23, 2017

pablofg1978 , Nov 23, 2017 :
    Thread merged

Aravindakodiya likes this.
  13. pablofg1978
    Spanish POC Assistant Head Moderator Nov 24, 2017

pablofg1978 , Nov 24, 2017 :
    Merged

Aravindakodiya likes this.
  14. Areebanwar
    Honeycomb Nov 24, 2017

Areebanwar , Nov 24, 2017 :
    So Nokia 8 has recieved Oreo and guess what, treble is present in it :/

Strange OnePlus wouldnt support it.

15. G_plusone
    Marshmallow Nov 24, 2017

16. Choully
    Eclair Nov 24, 2017

Choully , Nov 24, 2017 :
    "We are not currently supporting treble and do not plan to for these devices Kriski said.
    But why oneplus you guys should thing about your customers
    Guys I just want to present it to you guys and get support from you guys and announce oneplus,
    if you dont know what is treble pls dont ask me just search it its a feature
    sory for my bad eng.

17. marcusskyfall
    Jelly Bean Nov 24, 2017

marcusskyfall , Nov 24, 2017 :
    Who needs treble when you have vpn's :)

18. Choully
    Eclair Nov 24, 2017

19. Vijayakumar bhaskar
    Gingerbread Nov 24, 2017

Vijayakumar bhaskar , Nov 24, 2017 :
    treble isn't a VPN service it's something else. Do some research.

Choully likes this.
  20. pablofg1978
    Spanish POC Assistant Head Moderator Nov 24, 2017

pablofg1978 , Nov 24, 2017 :
    Thread merged

Choully likes this.