OnePlus won't turn on Boot Reason: init_user0_failed via OnePlus 9 Pro

1. alhf94
    Eclair Aug 14, 2021

alhf94 , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Aug 14, 2021 :
    Stuck in bootloader, this has happened 3 times in a month. Why does the OnePlus get stuck on boot up with tbe message Boot Reason: init_user0_failed?
    1628910055902.jpg

R1602708052843 and heshNYC like this.
  2. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Aug 14, 2021

3. thechangingtime
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 14, 2021

4. alhf94
    Eclair Aug 15, 2021

alhf94 , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Aug 15, 2021 :
    Just a simple restart of the phone and it boots up like this

5. alhf94
    Eclair Aug 15, 2021

alhf94 , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Aug 15, 2021 :
    The three times it has done this the way I get out is boot into fastboot I believe or it could be recovery as u suggested I can't remember but the problem keeps occuring. Three times in a month it has booted into this state from nothing more than a simple restart. I've not fiddled with the phone at all

6. alhf94
    Eclair Aug 21, 2021

alhf94 , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Aug 21, 2021 :
    A simple restart triggers it, I can't remember how I get it back on but I fiddle through the options and luckily within a submenu I found something that worked

7. mekanoman
    Cupcake Sep 1, 2021

mekanoman , Sep 1, 2021 :
    I have the same problem every time I restart the phone. It usually starts working after 3 reboots

8. Jay Gadling
    Cupcake Sep 9, 2021

Jay Gadling , Sep 9, 2021 :
    Following, this is happening to me as well on every manual restart and I have to select wipe cache, power off or reboot again and again until eventually it lets me in. So annoying, this is my second OnePlus phone and I thought I found my people but this, along with Bluetooth issues, has me close to jumping ship for good. OnePlus 9 Pro

9. SteliosAresti
    Cupcake Nov 10, 2021

SteliosAresti , Nov 10, 2021 :
    So annoying with the fact that oneplus keeps ignoring the issue and dont come out with a solution. I have two oneplus 8t with the same issue. i have talked to oneplus support and we arranged a remote session in which we completely erase the phones with flashing the rom. Then we get them to work for a month, now after latest update 11.0.11.11KB05BA the issue is back and i'm "fighting with the phone to get it to boot"

10. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Nov 11, 2021

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 9 Pro Morning Mist , Nov 11, 2021 :
    I have had 7 Pro, 8 Pro and 9 Pro. Never happened. I have no way to tell how common this is or why it happens to some.

Caomhin likes this.
  11. porvas
    Cupcake Dec 3, 2021

12. K1588442286656
    Cupcake Dec 4, 2021

K1588442286656 , Dec 4, 2021 :
    I have had this issue with my oneplus 8 pro since day one. Some people say to wipe the cache but when I do it it then gives an error it could not decrypt the contents of the phone and is permanently bricked. The only way to save it is to keep rebooting and praying you wont have to reset the phone. I have found that after placing the phone near an AC or somewhere cold it booted up again, but that could just be a coincidence. Either way, being terrified of the battery draining to 0 and being unable to ever turn off my phone is not a proper way to live. God forbid you forget to charge it one day and then poof 256 gb of stuff is gone. This is my last oneplus phone for sure

SteliosAresti likes this.
  13. JustNxck
    Cupcake Dec 21, 2021

JustNxck , Dec 21, 2021 :
    I've gotten this 2 times now.. 1st being about a month ago 2nd being right before posting this. One Plus 8, current update

15. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Dec 28, 2021

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 9 Pro Morning Mist , Dec 28, 2021 :
    You might want to reach out to support and get the device checked.
    www.oneplus.com/support

Always keep the most important files on 2 different storage locations. Like automatic sync online, a copy on your PC, USB drive or whatever. It protects against more data losses than just boot issues (theft, drops and breaking the phone...)

Caomhin likes this.
  16. ekodde
    Cupcake Dec 28, 2021

ekodde , Dec 28, 2021 :
    Same issue here. Right after installing an update (with whatsapp fix in releasenotes) I get into a reboot loop. Exact same boot reason as the first post. Can only erase all data and try to recover it from backups... This is not what I expect from a flagship killer.

17. malidan
    Nougat Dec 28, 2021

malidan , Dec 28, 2021 :
    It's a regular issue from what I have seen on XDA and Reddit, going all the way back to the 6T.🤔

Helder_DAlmeida likes this.
  18. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Dec 28, 2021

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 9 Pro Morning Mist , Dec 28, 2021 :
    Maybe I'm lucky or others unlucky? Who knows.
    Anyone pointed out a theory of the root cause of this?

Caomhin and Helder_DAlmeida like this.
  19. malidan
    Nougat Dec 29, 2021

malidan , Dec 29, 2021 :
    When an issue passes through 4 generations of devices the reason why is very obvious.

Helder_DAlmeida likes this.
  20. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Dec 29, 2021

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 9 Pro Morning Mist , Dec 29, 2021 :
    I had 3 generations of Oneplus without this. Always on open beta when I had the chance. Often testing stuff and rebooting a lot.
    Someone else gets it 3 times a month. Does not really make it obvious to me.

Must be some type of trigger/fault behind this that I never had. All I really get when searching on it is that it seems fairly isolated to Oneplus.

I see several claims of "this and that update" causing it and many saying they never had it. Even Magisk gets the blame according to some. Even articles has been written about it making the conclusion that an update caused it and even claiming wiping caches was the solution.
    But since it often seems to be a returning issue for those that got it once while some never have it, the details of the cause is not that very clear.

Caomhin and Helder_DAlmeida like this.