OnePlus x Hasselblad | Will OnePlus finally claim the crown?

1. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer; Community Hero 2020 Feb 9, 2021

YRJ , Feb 9, 2021 :
    20210209_180957_0000.png

Hello everyone,

Cameras haven't always been the strong point of OnePlus phones, and even though there is still a lot of room for improvement, the 8 Pro was the closest that the company has gotten to be considered in the same league as the industry's most promising flagships. More recently, OnePlus CEO, Pete Lau, has gone on record (multiple times) to say that 2021 will be a year when the company will “heavily invest on the camera” and the latest leaks are suggesting exactly that!

Youtuber Dave Lee/Dave2D dropped a massive bombshell when he published a new video over the weekend. In the video that you can watch below, he showed about a dozen hands-on pictures of an alleged OnePlus 9 Pro which he had received from an anonymous user on the discord server. It gives us a very good look at the device from all sides, and the design seems to be identical to the vanilla OnePlus 9 which had leaked earlier, so, while a grain of salt is still needed, this may be the real deal.

The latest leak, in the form of branding on the prototype, suggests that OnePlus won't take the easy road this time around. To up its camera game, the manufacturer is partnering with Hasselblad!

maxresdefault (1).jpg
    Image Credit: Dave Lee/Youtube

If that sounds unfamiliar, don't worry you're not alone! While their cameras have been on the Moon, they are neither a household name nor a primary choice when you're in the market looking for a new camera. More often than not, a medium format Hasselblad kit can easily cost more than a new car! So now you know, when Pete talked about “investing heavily on the camera”, it seems he wasn't kidding!

What does this mean for OnePlus flagships in 2021?

Normally, Hasselblad does not partner with smartphone manufacturers. The last time we heard them do anything with a smartphone it was as a moto mod and that too was a separate accessory altogether. But this isn't a mod, it's the camera unit on the OnePlus 9 Pro and it can go two ways. If we are being optimistic, this might be the year OnePlus will finally claim the crown for the best smartphone camera or it's going to be a mere marketing thing where it sounds great but may not work!

It's worth noting that this is not the first time an OEM is partnering with a camera manufacturer, and if we look back in time, brand collaborations are often a hit or miss. The Hasselblad branding doesn't immediately guarantee excellent image quality, but there is hope. Hope that the cameras on OnePlus devices will get better. All that's left is to see what comes out of this partnership, but I'm curious to hear what you think of this rumored partnership, do you think that this partnership will make OnePlus the smartphone camera king, or are you worried about it making a dent on your wallet?

Share your thoughts below!

2. Caomhin
    Community Hero 2020 Feb 10, 2021

Stickied Post
    Caomhin , via OnePlus 6T , Feb 10, 2021 :
    And another leak confirms 4500mAh Battery.
    OnePlus 9, 9 Pro to ship with 4,500 mAh batteries and in-box chargers said:
    Late last month, a reliable tipster suggested the OnePlus 9 and 9 Pro will pack 4,500 mAh batteries. Now, tipster Max Jambor has corroborated that bit while claiming that both smartphones will come with in-box chargers.
    ... The OnePlus 9 and 9 Pro are rumored to have a Snapdragon 888 SoC at the helm and feature 120Hz screens. However, the vanilla 9 will reportedly pack a 6.55" FullHD+ panel, while the Pro model will sport a 6.78" QHD+ curved display...
    https://m.gsmarena.com/oneplus_9_9_pro_battery_size_charging_speed-news-47667.php
    EDIT:
    Just to add a complete overview of what's known about the 9 series so far.
    OnePlus 9 series: Here’s everything we know so far about the next flagship series from OnePlus!
    https://www.xda-developers.com/oneplus-9/
    👍👍​

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021

3. Caomhin
    Community Hero 2020 Feb 18, 2021

Stickied Post
    Caomhin , via OnePlus 6T , Feb 18, 2021 :
    @YRJ And here is an additional leak about the Display screen.

The OnePlus 9 Pro will have an LTPO display, claims leakster

The technology was originally developed by Apple for use on its Watches as it draws less power than the LTPS panels that are prevalent today. It also simplifies the requirements for adaptive refresh rate.
    https://m.gsmarena.com/the_oneplus_9_pro_will_have_an_ltpo_display_claims_leakster-news-47818.php

What is LTPO OLED? Why it’s hard to achieve an adaptive refresh rate on an OLED display?
    https://sparrowsnews.com/2021/01/26/what-is-ltpo-oled-display/

MatteoCozzari and YRJ like this.
  4. yashonagori
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer Feb 9, 2021

yashonagori , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Feb 9, 2021 :
    There's a high chance it might end up being just a dent on users pockets with no actual use, but a man can only wish OnePlus struck bullseye this time and become an actual contender for the camera king spot!

5. Tobikage
    Nougat Feb 9, 2021

6. McJader
    KitKat Feb 9, 2021

McJader , Feb 9, 2021 :
    This. I think this.

7. Bhaveee
    Honeycomb Feb 9, 2021

Bhaveee , via OnePlus 7T , Feb 9, 2021 :
    I am very excited to see how things will go from here. Camera is the only department OnePlus faced any backlash in the past. Now either they will achieve something or loose everything. I guess there's no going back now.

8. Nipu_1998
    Jelly Bean Feb 9, 2021

Nipu_1998 , Feb 9, 2021 :
    Its mainly not the hardware that drags oneplus phones behind, its the image processing algorithm that messes up. Also,the inconsistencies while handling various scenarios and colour signs between lenses are the major issues.

9. anunayC
    Honeycomb Feb 9, 2021

anunayC , Feb 9, 2021 :
    That's really interesting lol! Didn't know

+1 😂

10. mokaeswar
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 9, 2021

mokaeswar , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Feb 9, 2021 :
    Leave claiming the crown, I'll be happy if it outperforms the below-20k (INR) phones. I'm tired of listening my friends telling their camera and mine takes exactly same photos

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021

11. Bittoo06

Bittoo06 , Feb 9, 2021 :
    i am eagerly waiting to try the camera! just can't wait to try this super cool stuff of tech!

12. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert Feb 9, 2021

Cheetosdust , Feb 9, 2021 :
    I don't know if this alleged partnership will make them kings - after all, "no gods or kings. Only man" -, but I do hope it continues what they achieved with the OnePlus 8 Pro.

Even if/when it is confirmed, until we get a "deep dive" we won't know what the name Hasselblad implies here - how involved are they during the whole process.

If this is true, I would love to see someone from Hasselblad in the forums doing an AMA. I believe it can be really interesting, presenting the brand and the fusion of talent with the OnePlus team. @dsmonteiro open your contacts and call Mr. Hassel. :p

I am optimistic about the new Series, but I already was after seeing what they brought with the OnePlus 8 Pro and even with the OnePlus 8T. :cool:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021

13. the_o2
    User of the Year 2018; Community Scholar 2020 Feb 9, 2021

the_o2 , Feb 9, 2021 :
    I used Hasselblad once with my Moto Z Play
    81U9Wem9mwL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

71Q-ubU+TIL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

That thing was costly, that's all I know about the Hasselblad:sweatsmile::sweatsmile:, Pictures were good don't know at what price 9Pro will come with Hasselblad branding ;)

14. Loubear
    Honeycomb Feb 9, 2021

Loubear , Feb 9, 2021 :
    I think that any certain partnership with a 'big name' will increase the price. My worry is that doing this removes OP from their very nature and original outset as a company. I would much rather see more advances in R&D into things like under-screen cameras, better battery optimisation and overall design etc.

15. Tobikage
    Nougat Feb 9, 2021

Tobikage , Feb 9, 2021 :
    You paid for the OnePlus logo didn't you.

16. camohan
    Nougat Moderator Feb 9, 2021

camohan , Feb 9, 2021 :
    Does anyone read Blad as Bald and remembers someone? Probably it's only me. Anyways, this seems to be massive news if it indeed comes out as true.
    However, I am keeping my fingers crossed since Hardware and Software work together and I hope the software algorithm does not duck up a great piece of hardware. I want to be optimistic here.

17. TheGadgetGirl
    The Lab - OnePlus 8T Reviewer Feb 9, 2021

18. Cheetosdust

I would genuinely love to read your opinion about a modern OnePlus device. ;)

19. mokaeswar

mokaeswar , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Feb 9, 2021 :
    Lol. The logo isn't even visible with the backcase on. I thought I paid for the camera. But, I was wrong.

20. Cheetosdust

I hope your hopes are not caught by the police. :rolleyes::D

Litepaw, Caomhin, jlasensiofi and 8 others like this.
  21. camohan
    Nougat Moderator Feb 9, 2021

camohan , Feb 9, 2021 :
    I think one can get the Logo skin from GadgetShield for Rs. 49. May be the user spend more than just logo.

22. TheGadgetGirl
    The Lab - OnePlus 8T Reviewer Feb 9, 2021