OnePlus X- The phone that was never really supported

1. Debangshu kumar
    Froyo Feb 21, 2017

Debangshu kumar , Feb 21, 2017 :
    This was a bit overdue and is pointless, but let's just take it as OnePlus X's biopic.

OnePlus X came out within 6 months of the 'obvious' failure of OnePlus 2. This was when OnePlus tried to enter the budget handset segment which sells most in the south east Asia region. This was when they released their biggest failure, OnePlus X.

OnePlus X was released with already outdated software, running Lollipop when Marshmallow was already shipping with most phones. But people readily pardoned it, because hey, it's oneplus. They have proved themselves about fast updates with OnePlus One. In the year that followed , the year the phone was officially 'supported' , all it got was a handful (okay, less than that) of security updates. Stuff that 99% (1%, do u even exist) people never cared about. It's own Os has been buggy since day one, and still remains so. And the only major update it got was marshmallow, after the next official android version, nougat started hitting phones. An update that shouldn't have been an update in the first place. An update which should have been an out of the box experience, came after one year of begging on the internet. Gosh!

I would rather admit, although it came with a slightly dated chip, it still shipped with a flagship-grade processor and had pretty good hardware for this price point at that time. That, along with its unique looks could have made it a budget-segment king, but again, oneplus failed to implement the capability. Their processor supported VolTe which they failed to enable even today, even though this was one of the first chipsets to enable this feature. They boasted of an impeccable camera. Whereas the same camera sensor in other phones took 'amazing' pictures, oneplus's implementation only stuck with 'pretty good you know' area. Poor low light experience, poor camera performance in any third party apps, video frame drop, no software stabilization were the stuff oneplus never bothered about. And the infamous camera HAL never got fixed ever, even though independent software offered to donate their piece of code free of cost to oneplus to fix our phone. And RAW support, which developer troopi proved , both the front camera and back camera are very much capable of, never saw the day of light in OnePlusX. And although the AMOLED display does help with dark UI, all in all, the battery doesn't do good to the phone with the default kernel either. The phone still disabled adoptable storage and is unable to formate sd card in phone. All in all, despite packing in good hardware, oneplus x failed in it's hardware segment support as well.

The only thing that still keeps Onyx fun is its dedicated developers at xda (thumbs up to you guys) though few significant names are leaving for other phones. OnePlusX got stuck in development because of proprietary camera codes and no support for Vulkan API.

OnePlus did promise a 18 month support in accordance with google but it all turned out to be just in the name.

OnePlus X thus seems a failure, and perhaps the worst supported phone from a company with the beloved name OnePlus (the love it got from oneplus one)

They probably understood their failure and quickly moved over to the mid-price segment over and created their apparently successful OnePlus3. But that success does seem shortlived, now that they are constantly busy with sales gimmicks and ad campaigns. What the future holds is yet to see, but yeah, OnePlus X definitely was a huge opportunity gone to waste

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017

2. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Feb 21, 2017

dsmonteiro , Feb 21, 2017 :
    Feel free to provide source for this claim.

Don't get me wrong. I think OPX's support is really poor but they never promised a specific period of support.

3. Debangshu kumar
    Froyo Feb 21, 2017

In a customer support chat, i had around the time OnePlus X was officially discontinued, regarding my enquired about whether there will be a successor and whether OPx will still be updated, i got the response

'In the sense that there's no concrete updates, yes. We've not announced a full death knell for the OPX yet, and there are potential plans for a limited run, however these are still under discussion. We have nothing to officially announce just yet. Rest assured, OPX will continue to be supported for 18 months from release date.'

Mr. BG likes this.
  4. Scherpenseel
    KitKat Feb 21, 2017

Scherpenseel , Feb 21, 2017 :
    Technically it's still supported. Nobody said it's not getting a new update.

Salt505 and Debangshu kumar like this.
  5. Debangshu kumar
    Froyo Feb 21, 2017

i really hope you're right

imtiazali.rb likes this.
  6. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Feb 21, 2017

dsmonteiro , Feb 21, 2017 :
    @Carl, regarding our previous talk about promises:

You (Carl) may have never promised it, but you (OnePlus) apparently did.

Mr. BG likes this.
  7. Mr. BG
    Community Hero 2020 Feb 21, 2017

Mr. BG , Feb 21, 2017 :
    It's pointless guys, sorry.

@Carl hasn't been in for three weeks straight.

You have no idea how much effort i put in this last year, in the beta testing, analysing the problems, trying to connect to the right people, getting zero response in the end, even staying polite (almost...!) all the time.

Zero response in the end .

Everybody who owns an older device and had been around here a bit longer know they simply don't respond to anything that's not Woohoo-ing Oneplus, Carl replies to fanboys only, preferably Twatter only.

Critics are conveniently ignored and silenced (to death)

The company's communications strategy in a nutshell.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017

8. Salt505
    Jelly Bean Feb 21, 2017

Salt505 , Feb 21, 2017 :
    I'll be happy to buy yours or anyone else's OnePlus X for $60 :p.

9. Wahoux
    Lollipop Feb 21, 2017

10. Chris_Brix
    Honeycomb Feb 21, 2017

Chris_Brix , Feb 21, 2017 :
    I actually talked to someone at Oneplus today and basically asked him to be honest to me about Oneplus x.

He clearly told me that they still are working on it and they were reading the forum. He told that they are more focusing on the Oneplus 3/3t right now but they won't leave the Oneplus behind.

So let's cross fingers

script likes this.
  11. pwseo
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 22, 2017

pwseo , Feb 22, 2017 :
    That's what they've been saying since the beginning of time.
    They sure talk the talk, but in all the months that have gone by I've never seen them walk the walk.
    They're just waiting until they can finally say the X has reached EOL.

12. MDrago9
    Eclair Feb 22, 2017

MDrago9 , Feb 22, 2017 :
    Well I'd say don't get your hopes up for the sake of your happiness

13. deepankarverma
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 22, 2017

deepankarverma , Feb 22, 2017 :
    Sometime ago they were even saying volte gona be delivered after one plus 2, i seen screenshot in this. forums

Anyways the point is they are paid to stall every hatred. So personally don't trust them and you can't make them liable for anything because every time there is some one new you talking.

14. Mr. BG
    Community Hero 2020 Feb 23, 2017

Mr. BG , Feb 23, 2017 :
    I actually talked to "someone" as well. More than once.

I'm selling mine.

'nuff said?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017

jaimal_tandel and pwseo like this.
  15. pwseo
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 24, 2017

pwseo , Feb 24, 2017 :
    Yeah, now I'm just waiting for the day when OnePlus comes rushing down in flames from the top of their marketing-supported house of cards. They're such dumbasses.

deepankarverma likes this.
  16. Arpit_Singh_
    Eclair Feb 27, 2017

Arpit_Singh_ , Feb 27, 2017 :
    Look what the other company is doing in terms of reply.. For nougat abd volte... But oneplus seems to be feeling top of d world.. If this attitude keeps on... They will certainly goes under the earth.. Soon... Such a pathetic attitude of Oneplus

Attached Files:

17. sharat3
    Donut Feb 27, 2017

sharat3 , Feb 27, 2017 :
    which one are u planning to get? will the just announced Moto G5 Plus be a good choice? I think Moto phones do get regular updates..and I had heard good things about the G4 Plus's camera..

18. Mr. BG
    Community Hero 2020 Feb 27, 2017

Mr. BG , Feb 27, 2017 :
    I currently own A Nexus 5X, that Moto G5 Plus looks decent, same camera as the S7.

sharat3 likes this.
  19. tomosellis
    Gingerbread Feb 28, 2017

tomosellis , Feb 28, 2017 :
    How's Nexus 5X treating you? I just saw that the Nokia 6 is going to be released in Europe with pretty much stock Android! I got a software update yesterday on my Chinese variant. After using the OPX for so long without an OTA update, I was shocked to get one so quickly after release!

20. Mr. BG
    Community Hero 2020 Feb 28, 2017

Mr. BG , Feb 28, 2017 :
    I'm loving that Nexus.

Good display, decent processor, great camera, and updates every month, faster than anything else in the Android hemisphere.

What's not to like?