OnePlus X - to buy or not to buy?

1. Tommys Gingerbread Jun 7, 2016

Tommys, Jun 7, 2016 :
    Yes you do, if you have the OPX you have at least 2 of those bugs if you are running untouched stock firmware.

2. Niliis Gingerbread Jun 7, 2016

Niliis, Jun 7, 2016 :
    Thats bull.

guisbro likes this.
  3. ScareYa Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 7, 2016

ScareYa, Jun 7, 2016 :
    The phone itself is good. It's well built and a stunner to look at. The built-in OxygenOS is another thing. It's buggy and not well maintained from OnePlus. If you don't need Bluetooth, don't watch videos, won't play games and don't use the camera though, it's almost bugfree and acceptable. And there is always the option to change the OS.

I do recommend the X, even when I'm very much disappointed from OnePlus' negligence of their mid-range device.

4. julio.panchame Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 7, 2016

5. ThatFace Donut Jun 7, 2016

ThatFace, Jun 7, 2016 :
    Well unfortunately...I'd play games, watch videos, and hey, use the camera. So I guess I really shouldn't buy it.

I wanted that phone but unfortunately there are so many complaints about heating issues that I'm not sure it's worth it. Seems to over-heat with anything.

Any other recommendations??

6. guisbro Honeycomb Jun 7, 2016

guisbro, Jun 7, 2016 :
    Thanks for letting me know I have bugs. I must be a carrier as the symptoms aren't evident.

naa27 likes this.
  7. naa27 Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 7, 2016

naa27, Jun 7, 2016 :
    He exaggerates. You can play games (I've only heard about the most intensive games stuttering a bit, but I've played Real Racing 3 without any problems). Videos play fine, I've no idea what that bug is meant to be. The camera isn't bad. It has one flaw, videos in low light.

The software isn't perfect, but it isn't bad either.

If you are looking at other options xiaomi mi phones are worth looking at.

8. ThatFace Donut Jun 7, 2016

ThatFace, Jun 7, 2016 :
    Thanks. I do want to be able to watch videos and play games on a phone. Had no issues with that on my Alcatel.

Looked at the Xiaomi Mi phones but again, I can't find them in the UK :(

9. Swatpt Honeycomb Jun 7, 2016

Swatpt, Jun 7, 2016 :
    You're almost correct. Let me do some touch up:

You can play games without stuttering, as long as you change CPU governor, and that means root your device and install a kernel config app. This or flash a custom Kernel.
    Videos play fine as long as you change to Awesome player under Development settings, a deprecated media player. The camera isn't bad, as long as you flash sultanxda custom camera HAL.

This is a decent device IF you plan to flash a Custom recovery, custom ROM and a custom Kernel.

pwseo likes this.
  10. aneesimran Honeycomb Jun 8, 2016

aneesimran, Jun 8, 2016 :
    You can find nexus 5x on the cheap for similar price so I'd recommend that, not saying oneplus X is a bad phone was good last year but this year the competition has gone a lot better.

11. pwseo Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 8, 2016

pwseo, Jun 8, 2016 :
    Even if the competition had remained the same, OnePlus (the company) isn't worth trusting. Right now they're actively ignoring everything users post about the OnePlus X, which is telling of how seriously they take Customer Support.

aneesimran and FaleshC like this.
  12. NielsGhysens Eclair Jun 8, 2016

13. FaleshC KitKat Jun 8, 2016

FaleshC, Jun 8, 2016 :
    OK so you have heard about intensive games lagging but not tried yourself.
    try playing Subway surfer, temple run etc etc it lags in every frame, and i have a moto e 2n gen device that has SD410 can run it more smoothly than my OPx.
    I agree some games are playable but we can't deny it drops frames rapidly whenever the game demands GPU usage.
    I have tried Modern Combat 5 which was but not smooth at all, Real Racing 3 playable but lags,Aphalt 8 lag, Asphalt NItro(After 2.2.1 update game issues warning that it doesn't support device officially) lags, Skyforce 2014 runs good with lags, Skyforce Reloaded lags on each frame ,the only game i am able to play pretty smooth is Clash Of clans and some others..
    Videos: fine (grab VLC or Mx or any 3rd party player) and we know OP doesnot have dedicated video player or gallery for OPx.
    Camera Photo: does the job in daylight , night not so much
    Camera Video: i wouldn't recommend.

14. Ceasedd Marshmallow Jun 8, 2016

Ceasedd, Jun 8, 2016 :
    No lagging,heating issues here.Great phone.

15. naa27 Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 8, 2016

naa27, Jun 8, 2016 :
    I agree that those things all improve it, but my comment was correct without that. The custom camera HAL fixes low light video which I mentioned was a bug. I have played real racing 3 with the default governor but I haven't tried others, but I accepted some might stutter. I haven't switched my video player and haven't had any problems.

16. naa27 Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 8, 2016

naa27, Jun 8, 2016 :
    Agreed, though I didn't see any problems in Temple run or real racing personally

17. G_Suhas_Badhe_xVOq Cupcake Jun 9, 2016

18. issy123 Eclair Jun 9, 2016

issy123, Jun 9, 2016 :
    Hi,
    I was once in the same situation like you was in.
    I had my doubts with oneplus because of all the things I read on the forum. There are many mixed feelings.

Here is my topic:
    https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/are-you-happy-with-the-oneplus-x.436538/

I bought the phone because the price felt right and the negative parts were only about the software and camera.

Since I don't use the camera so often I have no problem with that. It suits my needs I am not a photographer.

Also about the software I have read allot about bugs but I haven't faced any bugs but I had the phone when oos 2.2.1 was out so many bugs were fixed.

I never needed to get in contact with customer support because I never had a problem with the phone some say it's bad but I can't say that I haven't experienced it myself.

The phone does heat up while charging but I charge the phone when I'm not using it.

The phone is slippery so I do recommend an case around it, luckily they have it within the shipped oneplus x.

If you always need the latest and greatest android OS version than don't get a oneplus phone or get one that uses another OS like cyanogenOS

My recommendation is buy the phone if you want a phone that looks great, feels good and does what it needs to do. It's a big bang for your bucks!

Or wait for oneplus x 2!?

Goodluck choosing the right phone!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016

Lobbster likes this.
  19. Axevictim Gingerbread Jun 10, 2016

20. ThatFace Donut Jun 10, 2016

ThatFace, Jun 10, 2016 :
    Thanks for the input. Think I'm against the OnePlus X now. I'm not someone that really cares about the looks of a phone, but I do care about how it runs and how long it will last me. I'm hearing so many different opinions on it! Might just have to look for another...

As I've said above, I'm in the UK so I can't get a Xiaomi phone :) At least not without getting it through customs....then there's the problem of if it breaks, I won't have a warranty, which is vital for me considering what happened to the phone I just had.

Anyone else have some suggestions of a better phone for a decent price? Kind of sucks because I feel I can't find one I like that's available in the UK.