OnePlus5 goes automatically to silent mode randomly

1. Radha_Santhosh Donut Oct 22, 2017

Radha_Santhosh, Oct 22, 2017 :
    My one plus 5 goes to silent mode by itself even when the alert slider is all the way down.

It's actually happening right now as I am typing this message on my phone. It stated happening this past 2 weeks. I also have installed an update that was pushed out 3-4 days ago and the issue still persists.

Looks like I am not the only one dealing with this bug based on a few complaints that I see when doing a search on this topic.

Also, looks like OP3 users dealt with similar issue a while ago. How was that resolved ?

Thank you

2. Salt505 Jelly Bean Oct 22, 2017

Salt505, Oct 22, 2017 :
    Have you tried a factory reset?

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  3. Radha_Santhosh Donut Oct 22, 2017

Radha_Santhosh, Oct 22, 2017 :
    that's the last resort. I have lots of video and files to backup which will be a time consuming task and honestly a pain.

wanted to see if others experienced had the same issue and what is causing this and if there is a fix that doesn't involve factory reset.

thank you for the suggestion though. appreciate it.

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  4. allanj13 Gingerbread Oct 22, 2017

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  5. skt_9 Gingerbread Oct 23, 2017

skt_9, Oct 23, 2017 :
    Please reconfigure alert slider from settings and reboot phone. It should work. Otherwise your alert slider button may have been stuck in silent mode.

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  6. G_Chaithanya_Chary_yBuB Froyo Oct 23, 2017

G_Chaithanya_Chary_yBuB, Oct 23, 2017 :
    Actually the same thing is happening with my OP5 also. Suddenly the phn is going into silent mode and the icon is showing in status bar even if the alert slider all the way down.

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  7. lowrider_05 Cupcake Oct 23, 2017

lowrider_05, Oct 23, 2017 :
    mine does the random switching and not working slider too, since the 4.5.13 update in 4.5.12 it worked fine, so we have to wait for a FIX

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  8. ssridha1 Cupcake Oct 23, 2017

ssridha1, Oct 23, 2017 :
    Hi Siva.. there is nothing much to reconfigure there. All three modes are set to what it should be. There is nothing for me to edit / delete and reconfigure. My alert slider is not stuck physically at least.

Based on other people who have responded, this seems to be happening to others as well. I am sure not all our alert sliders are stuck. This seems like a bug. For me it started happening 10 - 14 days ago. At first, i just ignored and reset to ring mode myself using the slider mode. Now its happening frequently and has started to become annoying.

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  9. ssridha1 Cupcake Oct 24, 2017

ssridha1, Oct 24, 2017 :
    Factory reset did not help also. The issue still persists.

Any feedback of what others who are facing a similar issue have done ?

Ravi BINAVAT and Salt505 like this.
  10. Manish_Sharma_01 Cupcake Jan 3, 2018

Manish_Sharma_01, Jan 3, 2018 :
    I am also facing this issue. If I keep my one plus 5 in silent mode it will remain in silent mode, If I keep it in dnd or ring mode it automatically changes to silent mode after some time even if the alert slider is down. Some times for a second it comes back to ring and moves back to silent immediately.
    Is it hardware (alert slider) issue or some software glitch?? Did anyone find the solution?

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  11. G_kushal_deep_TMSl Froyo Jan 3, 2018

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  12. wald124 Froyo Jan 3, 2018

wald124, Jan 3, 2018 :
    Most likely it's some fishy app that you have installed.
    My slider/modes work fine as they should and nothing switches by itself. So this is also not a OS bug per se.
    If that problem occurred 10-14 days ago, watch what you installed there and uninstall it. Though chances are that you need to do a factory reset.

Oh and if you do a factory reset and immediately install all your apps, this won't show you if the "bug" is due to hardware or software failure. You need to go clean for some time!

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  13. JasieQu Cupcake Jan 20, 2018

JasieQu, Jan 20, 2018 :
    It's not some fishy app. Yesterday i wiped my phone and problem still exist

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  14. wald124 Froyo Jan 20, 2018

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  15. wald124 Froyo Jan 20, 2018

wald124, Jan 20, 2018 :
    If this doesn't help you, it is a hardware problem. Then you can get your device replaced under warranty.

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  16. J1517196145246 Cupcake Jan 31, 2018

J1517196145246, Jan 31, 2018 :
    I have been facing the same issue here, started about 3 days ago. It seems to go into the silent mode every time it's idle for a while. Also I have noticed it switches into silent at the same time every day at 6 to 7 pm in the evening. The same happens at night, every morning I have to change it back into ring. I am not very happy with the prospect of visiting the service center as I have heard horror stories about the service. I am hoping there is fix for this. I did a soft reset and uninstalled all recent apps but the issue still remains.

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  17. J1517196145246 Cupcake Jan 31, 2018

J1517196145246, Jan 31, 2018 :
    I have been facing the same issue here, started about 3 days ago. It seems to go into the silent mode every time it's idle for a while. Also I have noticed it switches into silent at the same time every day at 6 to 7 pm in the evening. The same happens at night, every morning I have to change it back into ring. I am not very happy with the prospect of visiting the service center as I have heard horror stories about the service. I am hoping there is fix for this. I did a soft reset and uninstalled all recent apps but the issue still remains.

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  18. sudhaditya Cupcake Feb 28, 2018

sudhaditya, Feb 28, 2018 :
    I am also facing the same problem after recent OS update. My oneplus 5 goes to silent mode by itself/randomly even when the alert slider is all the way down. I am facing the same problem even after factory resetting

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  19. Devanathanm Cupcake Feb 28, 2018

Devanathanm, Feb 28, 2018 :
    I am also getting the same problem of phone automatically moving to silent mode. Alert slider is working fine. Expecting a FIX.

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  20. samsou8803 Froyo Feb 28, 2018

samsou8803, Feb 28, 2018 :
    hi... it is know issue and a bug from last update.

you can try reboot once to check if that helps. many people complain about it. search in forum.

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.