OnePlus7 Pro curved screen glare and distortion problem

1. Blair287 Honeycomb May 31, 2019

Blair287, May 31, 2019 :
    I'm so torn if to return this phone or not I love everything about it apart from the curved screen that causes more glare and the green blue tinge on the sides other than that it's all I ever wanted from a OnePlus phone.

Unsure if to keep and live with the issues they annoy the hell out of me every time I see them though or return and get a 7 which over my 6 has bigger battery better specs and stereo speakers but a flat screen, however I love the no notch 7 pro.

what the hell do I do.

G_Mark_Dunn_JMmj likes this.
  2. Jbrown1012 Cupcake May 31, 2019

Jbrown1012, May 31, 2019 :
    honestly. just keep it maybe get a bigger case with bulkier sides that cut down the glare. IMO NOTHINGS perfect I work inside 8-5 6days a week so I don't see the glare as much as many others might. truly it's an AMAZING device, especially for the price and the OP7 won't be in USA at all from what 90% of reports are saying so my only option is the pro. I think the blue/green is just from the panel regardless I see it in my buddies gs9+ when he's showing me something and I'm standing next to him at a off angle. truly love the phone and so much about it that you'll probably notice it less over time. Maybe try a different theme or even changing the screens color profile to a softer color and see if that helps at all. doubt it but worth a shot.

3. J1542606030006 Gingerbread May 31, 2019

J1542606030006, May 31, 2019 :
    So basically it is a choice between notch vs curved screen as in which one bothers you more.

I think these issues are ones you can easily forget and ignore once you get used to the device. Both the 7 and the 7 Pro are probably great, though if you are in the U.S., I would settle with the Pro just because it isn't he officially supported device. If not, it is a toss up.

If I had to choose, I would go for the 7 because it is cheaper, it is just as capable of a device, and one more important thing:

The notch is only a visual thing. The only time the notch may get in your way is when watching videos that are 18x9. Most content are still in 16x9, which make the notch a non-issue. As for the curved screen, it is not only a visual thing, but it also makes the screen more difficult to work with screen protector and more prone to slipperage and more fragile in scenarios where phone is dropped.

Now if you are upgrading from the 6T, then I would have said the 7 Pro. But you are coming from the regular 6, so hence my opinion.

4. nkshirsagar Donut May 31, 2019

nkshirsagar, May 31, 2019 :
    cant forget that the screen resolution is much better on the pro

5. J1542606030006 Gingerbread May 31, 2019

Oh yes, of course. :)

But do you really need 1440p and 90hz? Are 1080p and 60hz so bad and unbearable as to avoid them entirely? If you ever had a 1080p-60hz screen, was there any time where you felt like phone was unbearable to use? To me, the 1440p-90hz screen is superior yet luxury, and 1080p-60hz screen works just as fluidly and still looks great.

Regardless, he can't go wrong with either the regular 7 or the Pro. Both great!

6. nkshirsagar Donut May 31, 2019

nkshirsagar, May 31, 2019 :
    actually can you make out the difference between fullhd+ and quadhd+ ? is there a visible difference that makes viewing movies or youtube any better on op 7 pro ? i wonder..

7. J1542606030006 Gingerbread May 31, 2019

When I got my Note 9, I tried out both 1080p and 1440p mode. I came to the conclusion, after about 3 weeks, that I really don't see a big noticeable benefit by using 1440p at the expense of battery life. So ever since then, I just stuck with 1080p and have been happy.

My screen on my 6T? 1080p screen also. Just as good, but not quite as bright as Note 9 in direct sunlight. No complaints. Still looks great.

8. Blair287 Honeycomb May 31, 2019

Blair287, May 31, 2019 :
    I'm on the UK so got the option of both.

I also like the bigger screen on the pro I love big screens I play games quite a bit so the no notch is pretty good for that but I get glare even indoor if you have any lights above you the curve just produces glare.

9. stuge234 Froyo Jun 1, 2019

stuge234, Jun 1, 2019 :

I doubt, they will get rid of this screen for few future generations .Like they used the same screen from One Plus 3 ,3t and one plus 5 and doing the same One Plus 7 ( 6t screen is being used afaik).

Yesterday,I had a chance to try out OPPO Reno/ Reno 10x which has no notch flat screen ,but its only 60hz and FHD+.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019

10. IAMRILES Donut Jun 1, 2019

IAMRILES, Jun 1, 2019 :
    Yes, I've noticed this, but never to this extreme. I'm also a photographer and noticed the highlights are bumped. don't be psyched by this, guys.

11. G1536224555077 Eclair Jun 1, 2019

12. EABowden Honeycomb Jun 1, 2019

EABowden, Jun 1, 2019 :
    And it's about a cm thick

13. stuge234 Froyo Jun 1, 2019

stuge234, Jun 1, 2019 :
    bit of thickness is still a better tradeoff in comparison to curve edges which reflects a hell lot of light .I have gone to atleast OP flagship store 4-5 times in last two weeks ,but still unable to decide as curve is definately distracting and reflects a lot of light.

I would have ignored the camera, if the screen was flat .

14. Blair287 Honeycomb Jun 1, 2019

Blair287, Jun 1, 2019 :

stuge234

bit of thickness is still a better tradeoff in comparison to curve edges which reflects a hell lot of light .I have gone to atleast OP flagship store 4-5 times in last two weeks ,but still unable to decide as curve is definately distracting and reflects a lot of light.

I would have ignored the camera, if the screen was flat .​

it's not just the light it's the blue green tint you get when the phone is anything but dead square onto you.

View attachment 1027853

15. F_Lars_Dennert_NbST Froyo Jun 1, 2019

F_Lars_Dennert_NbST, Jun 1, 2019 :
    so I've figured out why this phone has more glare issues and complaints than other phones and it really has little to do with the bend. unfortunately 1+ did not bond the LCD to the touch sensor screen. this leaves a diffractive gap that allows reflection between the two panels.

all other phones bond the LCD screen to the touch sensor. indeed if you crack a screen you can use a hair dryer to separate the LCD and just replace the touch sensor to save money buying the whole thing. if you fail to use bonding glue to put it back, you will get reflections like this.

the one plus 7 pro not being bonded allows just the outer screen to be replaced at the expense of more glare all the time. that's a shame.

16. Loveit Jelly Bean Jun 1, 2019

Loveit, Jun 1, 2019 :
    How have you figured this out exactly?

17. F_Lars_Dennert_NbST Froyo Jun 1, 2019

F_Lars_Dennert_NbST, Jun 1, 2019 :
    I had it happen to me when I replaced the digitizer on a Motorola Maxx but didn't have the glue. the glare ended up being much worse due to the gap. I didn't put it together until I watched jerryrigs disassembly video and he also noted that the screen was not bonded to the front glass. I have taken apart many phones and this is the first I recall in at least ten years where they are not bonded.

I'm sure they are sandwiched pretty well but not being physically bonded makes a difference. I shoot a lot of underwater footage. the water column between Maine lenses vastly affects the optical properties.

18. Loveit Jelly Bean Jun 1, 2019

Loveit, Jun 1, 2019 :
    Leave it out. It's a top quality screen just the edges do their natural thing.

19. Orcworm Cupcake Jun 2, 2019

Orcworm, Jun 2, 2019 :
    I'll be returning my 7 Pro for a 7 I think. I'm on the last few days of the return period and the glare is too much. I wasn't sure what to expect from a curved screen but it's such a shame since everything else about it is perfect. Lesson learnt for me - never buy a curved screen phone again. :grinning:

How many apps really take advantage of the lack of notch? Most seem to have at least a translucent bar along the top anyway. Losing the 90Hz and additional camera is a pain, but I think I'll prefer the £150 difference and being able to see all of the screen in daylight instead.

20. J1542606030006 Gingerbread Jun 2, 2019

J1542606030006, Jun 2, 2019 :
    I think his concerns are legitimate.

F_Lars_Dennert_NbST likes this.