OnePlus7 Pro curved screen glare and distortion problem

1. G_Bobby_Davies_FQgk
    Eclair May 20, 2019

G_Bobby_Davies_FQgk , May 20, 2019 :
    With a case on you should t have a false touch issue. it allows you to hold the phone pretty naturally without fake touches. I don't know if regret is the right term. I still have 10 days to return it. I'm torn and still trying to push through it. Honestly battery and camera are also a bit disappointing but hopefully software takes care of that. Screen can't be fixed that way :) My advice, try it out or go-to a store and see how you like it. Screen is absolutely crazy good. Speakers are very good as well.

I know this isn't going to help much, I am also still on a journey to figure out how I feel. 5t had everything except a decent camera, which I could live with. I consume so much media while outside so that's why this is a hard choice.

Thanks

dermot33 likes this.
  2. EABowden
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 20, 2019

EABowden , May 20, 2019 :
    I know you didn't ask me, but here's my 4 penn'orth

If you don't need a notchless phone, don't get the OnePlus 7Pro. The compromises are too great. The display will be distorted or suffer from glare issues, the device is too big and heavy for most users, and it's super fragile.

You shouldn't even be thinking about false touches. No-one has yet designed a curved-edge screen that doesn't suffer this issue, plus it's a nightmare to cut and paste text, if you do that regularly which I do.

The OnePlus 6T is awesome, voted the best phone of 2018 by MKBHD, so the regular OP7 will be even better at the same price.

Or, if you don't need a new phone right now, hold on six-eight months and see where the wind takes us with regards to bezel-less devices.

3. dermot33

dermot33 , May 20, 2019 :
    Yea makes sense. Im 70/30 keeping my 6T for now.The curved display is a concern but I like everything else,even the pop up camera,but as you say it is super fragile. I bet one drop and it's cracked at least.I don't even think the bumper cases offer any protection anymore,

I also find it suspicious that OnePlus are offering deals on accidental damage protection on this phone and raising the price of cases by 70%

I expect the forums to be full of people with complaints of broken screens in the coming months,

I should definitely hold on to my 6T for another 6 months at least,see if there is a 7T and maybe a flat display,
    you are correct with what you say,
    Though I will definitely skip the standard op7 as it is just the same as the 6T,improved specs yes,but not much of an upgrade.

I'm keeping an eye on what other companies are doing also. The new redmi, poco phone looks promising, especially if it's offering Always OD and features that have been sorely missed on OnePlus of late

G_Mark_Dunn_JMmj and EABowden like this.
  4. EABowden

I've never needed the always-on display. I just set the ambient display for touch and lift-to-wake. So I don't waste battery with AOD, but it's there when you take it out of your pocket or tap it once.

5. G_Bobby_Davies_FQgk
    Eclair May 20, 2019

Neither have I, I actually like the implementation on the 7p.

6. KeepTransisting
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 20, 2019

KeepTransisting , May 20, 2019 :
    I just came in from a bright Houston Summer day and the glare barely bothered me. At worst, you might just have to tilt your phone the tiniest bit to avoid it.

If that's a deal breaker, than you probably weren't going to be satisfied anyways. Anyone saying it's completely unusable in sunlight is either an absolute liar or actually lives on the sun

7. G_Bobby_Davies_FQgk
    Eclair May 20, 2019

Hahah it's not just sun, it's lighting overhead. Why are you so defensive and why does it have to be black or white. it's a grey area for some, 1 walk outside and you feel justified, like I said, I'm outside a lot and compared to the 5t it's no competition the 7p screen just glares more at more angles.

8. E1558267162531
    Eclair May 20, 2019

E1558267162531 , May 20, 2019 :
    yup..i was wondering why not so many people are giving their feedback..the glare issue is real under light..2 sides of the screen are just not visible..

9. KeepTransisting
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 20, 2019

KeepTransisting , May 20, 2019 :
    I'm literally sitting in an office under extremely bright fluorescent lights and yeah, there's absolutely a glare. Tilting the phone about 2 degrees to one side gets rid of it.

10. E1558267162531
    Eclair May 20, 2019

E1558267162531 , May 20, 2019 :
    but why to tilt in the first place??i dont want to tilt..the curves absolutely are a bit distracting..no functionality..that screen is beautiful to watch..i now try to just turn off all lights and watch netflix etc to get the max immersion.

G_Mark_Dunn_JMmj likes this.
  11. G_Bobby_Davies_FQgk
    Eclair May 20, 2019

yup, so walk and keep your phone from moving at all, and keep that exact angle the whole time. Freaking annoying when reading. Try the same thing on the 5t or a phone with no edges, huge difference. Natural movement with edge screen just has more glare. Glad it's working for you. Satisfaction is different for me, I use it in these circumstances a lot, didn't have the same experience with my 5t, hence the hesitation to keep it.

12. E1510854199402
    Froyo May 20, 2019

E1510854199402 , May 20, 2019 :
    I got my Pro 7 last Friday and I could not get on with the edge screen, I found it strange like reading on Flipboard and the words on the left would be part way down the edge of the screen. Also I was not keen on the weight of the phone, it’s a lot heavier than my 5T so I returned the phone.

Otherwise it was an amazing phone, but edge is not for me.

13. Blair287
    Honeycomb May 20, 2019

Blair287 , May 20, 2019 :
    Anyone saying this issue is not real are just fanboys that even if the screen didn't even power on would still be swearing how great the display is. I find blind fanboys the most annoying thing ever.

This is the glare on my screen actually looks better in the photo than real life I've also attached a picture of the weather for any fanboys wanting to claim I live on the sun.

My girlfriends 6 had no issues at all.

1558377044384.jpg

1558377044479.jpg

14. EABowden

You'll struggle to find a bigger OnePlus fan boy than me. But curved screens simply aren't fit for purpose.

15. R3d
    Gingerbread May 21, 2019

R3d , May 21, 2019 :
    you're holding it in a way to make it glare is what I'm saying. spin around till your body's shadow is over it and you should be fine. All phones suck outdoors. some more than others it just depends on what you need. I couldn't care less about the screen while outdoor (or about a curved screen to be honest). I just want a descent screen with no notch and a quick processor. I also want oxygen os and I wana pay as little as I can. oneplus is for me... maybe it's just not for you.

Pawcio62432 likes this.
  16. E1558267162531
    Eclair May 21, 2019

E1558267162531 , May 21, 2019 :
    we are just listing a problem which is common..and yes there are steps to overcome this..but issue is why in the first place..that beautiful screen you got gets hindered in the first place..by your comment you seem like a big fanatic who cant accept anyone complain about his/her bought product rather than a loyal fanboy.

17. Blair287
    Honeycomb May 21, 2019

Blair287 , May 21, 2019 :
    I'm not doing a 10inute dance to be able to use my phone. stop being an idiot if a flat screen doesn't have an issue then the only difference is the curved screen if don't get this then you just a blind fanboy

18. Coastie
    Honeycomb May 21, 2019

Coastie , May 21, 2019 :
    Coming from a OnePlus One, I can say the curved display screen glare is real!
    How big of a distraction is yet to be determined and obviously a highly individual feeling, but the screen glare is real, and it is real (for me) in pretty much all lighting conditions, both indoors and out. In addition to glare, there is off axis discoloration, and it does not take much off center to see it. I think my main issue beyond the glare and color shift, is with the curve, it looks like things are popping up at me. If the 7 were here (US, no 7), I'd have gotten that over the 7P.
    Can't say I see much difference that the 90hz brings, it looks nice, don't get me wrong, just not much different than my 2014 OP1, evolutionary, not revolutionary, thought I'd see more 5 years on.

19. G_Bobby_Davies_FQgk
    Eclair May 21, 2019

G_Bobby_Davies_FQgk , May 21, 2019 :
    I'm getting more used to the curves but yes more reflection and glare for sure. Maybe it just takes time. Are you going to keep your op7?

20. pradyumna2009
    Eclair May 21, 2019