OnePlus7 Pro curved screen glare and distortion problem

1. Coastie
    Honeycomb May 21, 2019

Coastie , May 21, 2019 :
    Yeah, it could be better (screen) but it's fine. If the US S10(series) had a record of decent software support, and/or a decent record of custom ROM support (LineageOS) I'd think about a large flat S10 if they have them, but because I keep my phones so long, that software support is big for me and traditionally samsung has been poor, especially the snapdragon models when it comes to custom ROM support. I wanted dual band GPS too, so the OP7P is my choice for now and the foreseeable future. I was ready for an upgrade when the OP5 was released and nothing jumped out to me as a must have for the 5, 5t, & 6, the 6t was close though I passed. The dual band GPS on the 7p along with UFS 3.0, and the A76 core with more hardware vs software based fixes for the spectre/meltdown issues made me finally upgrade. I like having a fingerprint reader now, but my wife's 6 is more reliable and has better placement than my 7p. She upgraded to the OP6 from a 2014 Galaxy Alpha when the 6 was on sale after the 6t release.

G_Bobby_Davies_FQgk likes this.
  2. G_Bobby_Davies_FQgk
    Eclair May 21, 2019

G_Bobby_Davies_FQgk , May 21, 2019 :
    Makes sense. My op5t had some screen burnin so I traded it in and bought the op7. Hoping to switch it over to international version eventually. I'm pretty sure I will keep it, I do have a few more days to decide. Thanks for your thoughts on it.

3. Milind_Yadav
    Eclair May 21, 2019

Milind_Yadav , May 21, 2019 :
    I thought I was the only one to have issues with the curved screen. Had it been tighter like on Galaxy s10+ I would have bought it straight away. Look at the difference s10+ vs OP 7 pro, look at the glare line.

Screenshot_20190518-224327.jpg

4. G_Bobby_Davies_FQgk
    Eclair May 21, 2019

Just give it a min and someone will say, but that's 1 angle. However it consistently glares when moving naturally so it is something to consider. Throws me off a bit but I'm still working thru it. :)

5. EABowden
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 21, 2019

EABowden , May 21, 2019 :
    Samsung have reduced the curve on their phone since the S6 edge came out, and you can see how much less glare there is quite clearly in your image, although it's still there on the S10.

They too had the ridiculous edge notifications to try and explain away the design fail that a curved screen is. Since then the S10 has very small curves, which are far less noticeable. It looks like OnePlus have gone back four years. The screen is from Samsung, maybe it's deliberate sabotage!

6. pradyumna2009
    Eclair May 21, 2019

pradyumna2009 , May 21, 2019 :
    i am using this phone for 6 days and this is my first oneplus device i have used only htc flagships till now ... and believe me when i say that there is no such issues

7. Stowedyco
    Donut May 21, 2019

Stowedyco , May 21, 2019 :
    curved screen is awesome, no glare, ridiculous speed, great battery life. Came from Samsung, have used nothing but Samsung, and came to the OP7 pro.....no complaints here

8. EABowden
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 21, 2019

EABowden , May 21, 2019 :
    My hindi is non existent, but my eyesight is 20/20.
    Look at this glare! It's not just on the edge, it's cutting from the top edge right into the middle of the screen!
    Screenshot_20190521-202050.jpg

9. G_Bobby_Davies_FQgk
    Eclair May 21, 2019

I don't understand how people that see this don't see it? Its there ;)

G_Mark_Dunn_JMmj likes this.
  10. E1558267162531
    Eclair May 21, 2019

E1558267162531 , May 21, 2019 :
    yup i agree..the glare is verry distracting..this is for those people who just blatantly say there is no issue with this phone etc etc..

11. Blair287
    Honeycomb May 21, 2019

Blair287 , May 21, 2019 :
    Some people must be total idiots saying stuff like there is no glare [e]1f602[/e][e]1f602[/e][e]1f602[/e] if it can be photographed it is real you morons this isn't people's opinions it is a FACT!

It CAN be your opinion if this is annoying to you or not but it is a fact that this curve causes glare on the display.

G_Mark_Dunn_JMmj and EABowden like this.
  12. R3d
    Gingerbread May 22, 2019

R3d , May 22, 2019 :
    there can't be no glare it's glass... What I'm saying is it's no where near what you're complaining about. There is no'The Glare!' there's just glare on glass...

get a case for it it's gonna help (obviously get one with the sides that raise up a bit .this sounds obvious but obviously obvious things don't come naturally to you).

you know ppl like you are funny. 'Im gonna order a curved screen phone *is not expecting the sides to reflect light. Did you order this thing blindly?

omg just look at any review online and you can clearly see this phone is 100% mirror. What exactly did you expect?

Fanboy Think again dumdum. I've been boycotting OnePlus since they have a notch on their big phone's. OnePlus has always been like this. They make something and either you love or you don't. When you don't just don't buy it. If you didn't research the phone properly before buying it that's on you. If you feel like that screen's gonna be a problem wait till you see it before buying .

Budruel likes this.
  13. E1558267162531
    Eclair May 22, 2019

E1558267162531 , May 22, 2019 :
    there is a thing called pre orders..and not even one youtuber called this a problem coz they couldnt on a review device..some did which i found later when i got the device..and its the glare to be honest..the screen is sometimes not visible and have to tilt in different ways..not a way i would like to use my phone..and i came from an s9..so i know my curved screens..its not a good curve at all..so you're sounding like a fanboy as much as you're trying to call yourself not to be..

14. Liehjan
    Lollipop May 22, 2019

Liehjan , May 22, 2019 :
    The curve took time to master, Samsung finally nailed it on the s10

15. EABowden
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 22, 2019

EABowden , May 22, 2019 :
    Let's try to be clear. The curved screen absolutely causes distortion and glare. If people aren't troubled by it then the OP7 pro is a great phone, but let's not pretend it doesn't exist.

16. EABowden

The S10 is a very good phone, and the curve is minimal so will cause minimal artefacts.

Having a hole cut out of the screen, however, is a deal breaker for me!

hitzilla likes this.
  17. Liehjan
    Lollipop May 22, 2019

Liehjan , May 22, 2019 :
    True, that's a deal breaker for me too.. But a 7pro with the s10 curve would have been amazing :D

seiadoon and hitzilla like this.
  18. EABowden

Here's a good example of someone sensibly admitting the glare is real, but that it doesn't bother him. Although I can't understand why, looking at his photo...

disp4.jpg

G_Mark_Dunn_JMmj and yesitsmario like this.
  19. G_Bobby_Davies_FQgk
    Eclair May 22, 2019

G_Bobby_Davies_FQgk , May 22, 2019 :
    All I was saying is that it's something to consider and compared to others it's pretty obvious. However, with that said it's most likely preference. Doesn't make the phone bad, just interesting at how close to perfection this thing could have been if feedback early was on the curved screen or maybe even have tested a flat screen.

Good discussions though.

20. Topper_Gas
    Jelly Bean May 22, 2019

Topper_Gas , May 22, 2019 :
    Hence why Samsung didn't give OP the S10 curved screen!!! I'm starting to think the OP7 is a better, cheaper, option, no glare or silly pop up camera, just a small notch to live with.