OnePlus7 Pro curved screen glare and distortion problem

1. Milind_Yadav Eclair May 22, 2019

Milind_Yadav, May 22, 2019 :
    My god I haven't been so back and forth about buying a phone ever. This is driving me crazy.

seiadoon, Loveit and Golden_Whale like this.
  2. mjh74 Gingerbread May 22, 2019

mjh74, May 22, 2019 :
    Me too! I've had a OPO, OP2 and currently have a OP5 which I love. I've been waiting for the 7 pro release to upgrade and from what I've seen so far, I think I'm going to skip this release and try something different. Hopefully when I'm ready to upgrade after that, OP's top end phone will have a flat screen.

3. S1558526993307 Cupcake May 22, 2019

S1558526993307, May 22, 2019 :
    I have absolutely no problems with the glare. It is very similar to my galaxy S8. And distortion? I'm actually not sure what you mean. In the image you posted there is no distortion. I think you must mean something else. Do you mean that the glare makes parts of the screen obfuscated? Then yes, in that image. But distorted? Am I missing something here?

4. prfraczek Honeycomb May 22, 2019

prfraczek, May 22, 2019 :
    Can I suggest you guys something? Forget about screen glare and distortion. Just buy. I am using second day this device and I can say you not gonna even notice it. I was sceptic about glare, camera quality and rounded screen. It was before buying this phone and reading this forum. The device is top quality, and I don't work for oneplus :) I used to use 1+6 before and after 2 hours of use this device I won't go back even if you pay me for it.
    Every aspect is better. Smooth, lovely screen, camera, haptic, speed, and smoooooth.
    Don't read forum.

Kareem Hussaini and Stowedyco like this.
  5. MarkJeffries Donut May 23, 2019

MarkJeffries, May 23, 2019 :
    Given the Asus 6 has a full screen display and no curved edges I don't think it was a design decision they had to make. Granted of course the screen on the A6 will be worse than the OP7pro as it isn't oled but it is £100 cheaper and has no glare at every angle you can hold it when in direct sunlight or artifical light.

6. mjh74 Gingerbread May 24, 2019

mjh74, May 24, 2019 :
    If you mean the ZenFone 6, it's got a lot going for it. I think it's what I may go with this time around, not bothered about the lack of oled screen. My colleague just got a Xiaomi Mi 9 which is also very nice!

G_Mark_Dunn_JMmj likes this.
  7. Blair287 Honeycomb May 24, 2019

Blair287, May 24, 2019 :
    OnePlus has just turned into every other manufacturer putting stupid gimmicks in phones no one asked for but leaving out other items that they call "gimmicks" that are actually useful and people asked for

8. W1558090320913 Cupcake May 24, 2019

9. G_Bobby_Davies_FQgk Eclair May 24, 2019

G_Bobby_Davies_FQgk, May 24, 2019 :
    I was actually wondering about that as well. I had a new one put on right away, didn't want to walk around with this beautiful screen unprotected. Anyway have one without?

Razor10021990 likes this.
  10. Milind_Yadav Eclair May 24, 2019

Milind_Yadav, May 24, 2019 :
    So finally I have decided to not buy OP7 pro, instead as a stop gap solution I will go with regular OP7 and wait for next year's pro version. Hopefully curved edges will get better by then.

11. dnateo Eclair May 24, 2019

dnateo, May 24, 2019 :
    I think the glare/reflection is most noticeable when read text on the screen if the text goes to the edge. I can certainly notice it when read news apps on my commute. It would be useful if there is a way add padding to bring apps (or at least text) in a bit. Similarly, certain apps have buttons which appear to go off screen because of the round corners, but this is true of other phones too.

G_Mark_Dunn_JMmj and Loveit like this.
  12. Loveit Jelly Bean May 24, 2019

Loveit, May 24, 2019 :
    Yeah I see no benefit of text being wrapped around the curve.

13. F_Lars_Dennert_NbST Gingerbread May 25, 2019

F_Lars_Dennert_NbST, May 25, 2019 :
    the curved screen does not bother me. I have to try hard to make a phantom touch and the glare has to be worked at to make happen. curved text is also not a noticeable artifact for me. the phone feels bezel less.

14. G_Bobby_Davies_FQgk Eclair May 25, 2019

G_Bobby_Davies_FQgk, May 25, 2019 :
    Glare does not need to be worked at... take a picture of your phone at any angle and you can see it. I agree that it does t always happen but under direct light or sunlight , it's super noticable.

Then phone is still absolutely an amazing piece of hardware.

15. F_Lars_Dennert_NbST Gingerbread May 25, 2019

S1558526993307 and Loveit like this.
  16. G_Bobby_Davies_FQgk Eclair May 25, 2019

Great pic, I see that most of your edges are covered by your case. I am curious if that would be helpful for these angles.
    I use it mostly outside during the day and not sure you can replicate that environment. If I can I will take some pics tomorrow and show you. Wish I hadn't traded in my 5t so I can show you a comparison.

17. F_Lars_Dennert_NbST Gingerbread May 25, 2019

F_Lars_Dennert_NbST, May 25, 2019 :
    the case was actually off in this pic. brightness about half. the pixel auto exposed which is why the background looked dark. we have a 5t also. I agree that there are more reflections than a flat screen but it is not bothersome for me. I think If someone has doubts about the screen they should have one in hand before buying to test. shine a video light at it and you will get glare. put it in direct sun and angle it like a mirror and it will glare.

S1558526993307 likes this.
  18. G_Bobby_Davies_FQgk Eclair May 25, 2019

Agreed, but I didn't notice the difference until in direct sunlight, then it's in whole different league. 5t handled sunlight and reflection very well. Very distracting in same setting with op7. Still leaning on keeping it. Screen is absolutely amazing.

19. gyan0621 Froyo May 25, 2019

20. streetkilln Gingerbread May 25, 2019