OnePlus7 Pro curved screen glare and distortion problem

1. kidjt94 Froyo May 28, 2019

kidjt94, May 28, 2019 :
    1559051142038.jpg
    I see a lot of talk, but only a few people are posting what their OP7p looks like. here's mine. the glare is real. this is in an airport with natural window light and a few florescent tube lights overhead.

Jeycop

Other Problems with curved edges:
    - No display foil for Protection.
    - Danger of scratches when you put it on display down on table (silent mode function)
    - Unintended touches when you simply hold the phone
    - Color falsification under the edges​

this person is entirely correct.
    -the OnePlus pro case doesn't cover the screen entirely, so while I love the sandstone I can't trust it to completely protect my screen anymore.
    I'm kind of disappointed that OnePlus didn't release official tempered glasses at launch.
    -I do get unintentionally touches when gaming.
    -words don't look right when they extend over the edge.

I still love the phone, but I feel like the curved screen is a bit of a gimmick.

2. kidjt94 Froyo May 28, 2019

kidjt94, May 28, 2019 :
    yes. every update makes the battery worse and the camera always sucks. /sarcasm

the community always craps on the camera and battery.

3. AFKalle Froyo May 28, 2019

AFKalle, May 28, 2019 :
    If i look straight on my Display (White Pages) -> it looks very good,

but if i moved it a little bit -> the white page looks pink.

Have any the same problem?

Last edited: May 28, 2019

G_Mark_Dunn_JMmj likes this.
  4. J1542606030006 Gingerbread May 28, 2019

J1542606030006, May 28, 2019 :
    Judging by all the videos and screenshot, it seems to me that the curve on the 7 Pro starts a bit further from the edge with gentler yet gradual slope, in comparison to Samsung phones, which have their screens sloping closer to the edge with deeper slopes.

The possible problem with 7 Pro's approach is that the screen content may get distorted much further away from the edge, and the glare vertical lines may show much closer to the center of the screen.

My 6T's screen has none of that issue. No distortion and no vertical lines resulting from glares. Very clean. I am appreciating my 6T more and more each and every day.

G_Mark_Dunn_JMmj and EABowden like this.
  5. EABowden Ice Cream Sandwich May 28, 2019

EABowden, May 28, 2019 :
    Those light streaks would drive me absolutely potty! Ironically you can't see the 'n' in distortion, because of the distortion caused by the light reflecting on the curve.

6. EABowden Ice Cream Sandwich May 28, 2019

EABowden, May 28, 2019 :
    Me too!

J1542606030006 likes this.
  7. W1558090320913 Cupcake May 28, 2019

W1558090320913, May 28, 2019 :
    My thoughts on the OP7 Pro:
    - quite heavy
    - the screen protector gives it too much friction as you swipe
    - the curved screen isn't ideal with text curving round the edge, YouTube videos aren't full screen unless you make it so each time (and consequently chop off some detail), and videos on other apps e.g. The Guardian can't be made full screen so come with bars.
    - it's too big and too long

To balance out the negatives, I thought the screen was expansive, sharp and clear, the speakers went pretty loud and the nebula blue was a really nice colour.

8. kidjt94 Froyo May 28, 2019

kidjt94, May 28, 2019 :
    I actually like the weight of the phone. a good heft feels more premium to me.
    I remember getting the all metal OP3 and it felt like a brick compared to my old OP1. I liked it.
    I actually wish the OP7p was metal backed, the only benefit I see is excellent NFC range, but that isn't something I need to be a, just good.

I hate the blue color. I with they stuck with a pure black for the top end model. I only got the blue because I'm a spec hound, and I wanted the 12gb of RAM.

the factory plastic? glass? protector is kind of weak. mine is already scratched, and it does have just a bit too much grip in my humid environment.

not on topic anymore, but there's my 2¢.

9. Blair287 Honeycomb May 28, 2019

Blair287, May 28, 2019 :
    Yea on a white or light background you have to hold the phone perfectly square on or else you get a greenish blue tinge on the curves and it looks crap.

I'm 50 50 at this point on returning it and getting the 7 or waiting with my 6 for the new pixel phones I'm starting to think OnePlus has just turned into everyone else. shame.

G_Mark_Dunn_JMmj and yesitsmario like this.
  10. EABowden Ice Cream Sandwich May 28, 2019

11. bpwest80 KitKat May 28, 2019

bpwest80, May 28, 2019 :
    What y'all are talking about with the curved edges happens on any phone with this big of a curve. If you don't like it then return it. My Samsung S8+ done the same thing when turned.

12. yesitsmario Froyo May 29, 2019

yesitsmario, May 29, 2019 :
    Yes, the bluish/greenish shadow on the edges is ruining my experience! it's very noticeable with light backgrounds.

If this phone had a flat screen, it would be perfect for me. I'm going to have to return it, unfortunately. I'll stick with my OP3 a little longer.

13. nkshirsagar Donut May 29, 2019

nkshirsagar, May 29, 2019 :
    Exactly! I love the way the screen looks, the curve honestly makes it look really awesome, but the sunlight or overhead lights lines are real, i saw them in the store when i checked it out and immediately noticed that the curves reflect light differently and hence the text may not be easily visible along the curves due to those two lines of light at the edges. In the dark there's no problem at all and the display looks mindboggling, but just wondering if the bright lines along the edges is bad enough to not buy this one.

I wont buy the 6t because notchless is really awesome, so i am hoping the 7t pro will be flat. I'd love a phone that has everything op7pro has except the curved screen...

14. J1542606030006 Gingerbread May 29, 2019

J1542606030006, May 29, 2019 :
    If they decide to make the T series this year, I am hopeful that the regular version would be flat. So flat for 7T and curved for 7T Pro.

The notch on the 6T sorta disappears after a while of use. My 6T was my first notched phone, and at first I just had the notch turned off. Then I started hating the fact that landscape videos weren't being shown symmetrically, so I gave the notch a try. Now? It really doesn't bother me that much at all. But still, notchless is much preferred of course.

My other disappointment with the 6T is the rather unimpressive speaker sound quality, but that alone isn't going to be a factor that drives me to search for an upgrade. This phone has just too many positives going for it, now that I use GCam interchangeably when taking photos.

Last edited: May 29, 2019

EABowden likes this.
  15. Blair287 Honeycomb May 29, 2019

Blair287, May 29, 2019 :
    Problem is if OnePlus thinks curved screens are great will probably appear on the non pro versions eventually.

I love everything on this phone bar the curves and the ghost touches so it's really annoying.

16. nkshirsagar Donut May 29, 2019

Oh I thought ghost touches were not an issue.. oneplus said they had AI in place for ghost touch, but is it bothering you? i havent seen others report ghost touches.

17. Jbrown1012 Cupcake May 29, 2019

Jbrown1012, May 29, 2019 :
    ghost touches are All over XDA. most have found that turning of NFC helps them go away along with not using CPU-Z. it's mixed on what fixes it for now. I'd say 90% say they stop seeing ghost touches with NFC off

18. nkshirsagar Donut May 29, 2019

sorry whats xda and nfc, and how is it turned off ? and whats cpu-z ?

19. Jbrown1012 Cupcake May 29, 2019

Jbrown1012, May 29, 2019 :
    xda is a forum with anything and everything smartphone related, NFC is the communication used for Google/android pay payments along with other things like wireless picture sharing. CPU-z is I believe a better saving program within the phone that lets you adjust multi settings to get the best battery life from the device.

20. Blair287 Honeycomb May 30, 2019

Blair287, May 30, 2019 :
    1559236595782.jpg
    the blue/green colour on the curves is annoying me more than the glare at the moment looks rubbish in light coloured videos etc.

G_Mark_Dunn_JMmj and yesitsmario like this.