Oneplus8 camera defect via OnePlus 8

1. IshitaChatterjee
    Cupcake Jul 3, 2020

IshitaChatterjee , via OnePlus 8 , Jul 3, 2020 :
    My OnePlus 8 camera has an auto smoothening effect on faces making the photographs look really cheap and low quality. The effect is similar to the "L3" of beauty mode."Filters" and the " beauty mode is disabled but th issue persists. The oneplus customer care has been unresponsive.

2. Shubham_Ag.
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 4, 2020

IshitaChatterjee likes this.
  3. ronakbarman
    Froyo Jul 5, 2020

ronakbarman , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jul 5, 2020 :
    I have been noticing this too, only in soft/low lighting though, when I have light directly falling on my face, it isn't like that and very sharp, and this is not my first Oneplus device, my previous device didn't have this issue.

4. IshitaChatterjee
    Cupcake Jul 5, 2020

IshitaChatterjee , via OnePlus 8 , Jul 5, 2020 :
    Oh no! That's such a waste of money then. I'll try GCam, thanks . I feel so cheated because none of the reviews mentioned this.

5. IshitaChatterjee
    Cupcake Jul 5, 2020

IshitaChatterjee , via OnePlus 8 , Jul 5, 2020 :
    Yeah even I was using OnePlus prior to this.

6. Shubham_Ag.
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 5, 2020

7. R1592682423821
    Cupcake Jul 5, 2020

R1592682423821 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jul 5, 2020 :
    I just switched from a pixel 4 XL and immediately noticed all the camera defects. I came to the forum to confirm if it was just me. I'm seriously disappointed by the poor quality of HDR, bizarre image softening, and over warming of photos. It can't even take a photo in low light without blurring unless everything is perfectly still. By low light in talking indoors with lights on.

8. Ozymandias_Osiris
    Gingerbread Jul 5, 2020

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020

9. ronakbarman
    Froyo Jul 6, 2020

ronakbarman , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jul 6, 2020 :
    As I said, it's perfectly clear in enough light, the moment you are in soft lighting, like in a closed room with the only light source being some sunlight coming "through" the curtains, software thingie may be, don't talk about L3, it just deletes my dark circles 🤣

10. ronakbarman
    Froyo Jul 6, 2020

Got a solution I guess, disable the ultrashot hdr and it should work a lot better imo

11. ronakbarman
    Froyo Jul 6, 2020

Disable ultrashot hdr in camera settings, tell me if things look more closer to original

12. Aditya.agarwl
    Donut Jul 7, 2020

Aditya.agarwl , via OnePlus 8 , Jul 7, 2020 :
    well same problem with camera, So now i am kind of clear that this is not hardware defect , these might be
    1 ) Due to poor image processing by oneplus
    2) Poor camera quality - ( might buy samsung next time then)
    but op do something with your image processing

13. Aditya.agarwl
    Donut Jul 7, 2020

Aditya.agarwl , via OnePlus 8 , Jul 7, 2020 :

ronakbarman

Disable ultrashot hdr in camera settings, tell me if things look more closer to original​

i did disable that , no difference still blurry and odd looking selfies in low light but will be happy to hear if anyone got good result after disabling it.
    heavy beautification

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020

14. serialtoon
    Froyo Jul 7, 2020

serialtoon , Jul 7, 2020 :
    Same issue here however it only manifests itself under low light. I dont use the selfie camera ever, so i dont really care.

15. JohnzyFitzgerald
    Gingerbread Jul 8, 2020

JohnzyFitzgerald , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jul 8, 2020 :
    Just want to add my own little observation here.
    When using the front/selfie camera in low-light, the image appears overly soft/smooth in the preview. However when you actually take the picture, the resulting image is a lot sharper than it appears in the preview.

You can check it out for yourself by taking a screenshot of the preview (in the camera app), and then actually taking a picture. Then compare the screenshot to the final image. There's a significant difference.

16. ronakbarman
    Froyo Jul 8, 2020

ronakbarman , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jul 8, 2020 :
    Might be,I am not a selfie guy, but I do tons of video calls, software process it is

17. Kat_vish
    Cupcake Jul 8, 2020

Kat_vish , via OnePlus 8 , Jul 8, 2020 :
    Front camera sucks man. such poor quality pics. Even rear cam portrait sucks in low light. it just washes out colours .. I think they should fix that in next update

18. JohnzyFitzgerald
    Gingerbread Jul 10, 2020

JohnzyFitzgerald , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jul 10, 2020 :
    Yes, you're absolutely correct.
    I was specifically speaking about pictures.
    But yes, the issue is still very obvious when it comes to video recording/video calling in low'ish light conditions.

It seems to be some kind of image processing that's being applied. So hopefully it's something that can be improved with future updates.

ronakbarman likes this.

20. JohnzyFitzgerald
    Gingerbread Jul 11, 2020